Harley Davidson Forums banner

You're at work &......

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Harley Hound57 
#1 ·
......you get on your bike (EFI) to return home and it doesn't turn over. Battery is low..... what are the options for getting it started.

I hear (as I've always had carb-bikes) that it is very difficult to "roll-n-start" an EFI bike. True? Any tricks here? Or is getting a jump the only option?

#2 ·
The reason an EFI bike is hard to roll start is that without electricity there's no fuel pump, therefore no fuel. If you do get enough juice to cycle the pump you should be able to do it.

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.

#7 ·
If there's any volts there the fuel pump should run, if there's lights the pump will run. Get a push and bump start the bike. Next find out why the battery is low. Don't just charge the battery and go again. Do the battery and charge system diagnostics.

#9 ·
To low a gear, the rear tire will just skid. Even 3rd gear will work well.
As soon as the engine catches pull the clutch in and keep the engine running.

#12 ·
Mine died once because the connector to the regulator came undone just enough to not charge the batt anymore. It's always fun when the power goes out and the bike dies while ridding on the freeway.

#14 ·
Gads, I hope I never have to push start my Sporty. 62 w/steel right hip and 12" apes on bike.

:rollin

#15 ·
We ran into this last year in Iowa and had to wait 2 hours for our guys ride to charge. Tried to push and pop the clutch but to no avail. Now I have cables. It makes sense to have the bike in 2nd gear. Never thought of that. This is a great thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.