Harley Davidson Forums banner

Motorcycle Passing Etiquette

14K views 103 replies 37 participants last post by  secoleman57 
#1 ·
I was out riding in NY state on a highway with a group about 7 HD bikes. We were in the passing lane and there were slower moving cars on the right hand lane. We usually do 70~5 mph in 65 zone in passing lane when group riding to avoid exit merging and cars cutting us.

I suddenly noticed a BMW/Suzuki alike bike came up behind me and lane split-ed to pass me and the rest of the bikes ahead of me. (I was 5th) It scared me quite a bit because I did not expect anything (bike or car) to pass me in the same lane I was in.

We were in a staggered formation so anyone riding in the far most lane had to move over for him/her to pass us one by one. We all let the him/her pass us and no one ever mentioned about the incident afterwards. But on my way back home, I thought he/she had a lot of nerves to pass us like that.... Is it common for a solo rider to pass a group like this if they want to pass a group but can not go around because of the cars in slower lane?

#2 ·
Nope. a total douche-bag by all means. let's set aside the rudeness of what he/she did, this actually put the group in danger; so not only was it disrespectful, what he/she did was also dangerous. if that was my group, somebody would have pulled that douche bag aside or honked or yelled or all of the above. if you want to pass a large group, you wait for a good opportunity and you zoom past by them. you don't disarray a riding group putting peoples safety in jeopardy.

#3 ·
It's common for crotch rocket riders to do it. I have never seen a H-D or even a Victory rider do it.

On the interstate north of Galveston at the Lone Star rally we had such an idiot weave through at a very high rate of speed through about 25 cruisers most of which were just ones and twos that were playing quite well together in a ton of traffic.

A Texas Hwy Patrol officer noted his actions and made chase. All of us really enjoyed waiving and honking several miles down the road when we saw him pulled over with his hands on the hood of that Troopers car. The cop gave us a thumps up.

#29 ·
uhhh just to play Devils advocate,,,,,, scooters do this to cagers ALL the time,,, if the rice burner did it , and no one was hurt,,, then he must have done it safely enough,,,,, lane sharing is legal here in CA , but not at that speed,,, not absolutely sure about riding side by side here at 65 mph,,,,so besides being rude it may have been illegal,,,,, just sayin you can't have it both ways,,,

#7 ·
i agree. passing 7 bikes in the same lane they were traveling in is insane. if the rider had surprised just one of the bikes in your group the whole bunch of you could have gone down. then with other auto traffic all around you traveling at 70 mph a lot of people could have been killed or injured.

unfortunately, unless you wanted to try and force them off the road so you could give them the beating they so richly deserved i don't think there was much you could do other than be thankful when it was over.

glad none of you were hurt.

#8 ·
If lane splitting or lane sharing is legal then other vehicles expect it. It is common in many parts of the world even California. Doing it when it is illegal and unexpected can have horrible results.

I ride with the crazy Houston traffic every day. I see to rocket guys doing the weave all the time. Scary stuff. Let one ******* open the door on him and it's over. Let one of our friendly patched guys (not Sons of Anarchy) catch up with him. Yikes.

#9 ·
Hmm... I guess we were just too nice or even dumb for that matter... It sounds like this isn't acceptable behavior of good riders. I was uncomfortable... but no one said anything so, I thought it was just me. Oh well, nobody got hurt that is a good thing.

#10 ·
Total douche...
Wait until it happens in a long sweeping off ramp that the Power Rangers like to push their limits on. Believe me if I had caught that clown...

#13 ·
Totally unaccceptable riding behavior. I'm pretty sure that down here under such circumstances, ride plans just might have been adjusted so that the group could "discuss" the problem with the errant rider at the first convenience stop ahead. He could have caused some serious damage/injury and even gotten people killed doing that to you.

#16 ·
To be young and dumb. You can't fix stupid. As long as everyone was ok. Don't let the 1% of riders ruin your day. Most guys respect other riders. Some kids think they have to ride like they stole it. Until they become part of a car or pavement. There is nothing worst, when they go by me doing 150mph.

#20 ·
I can see the danger if someone passes a group of bikes by weaving through the same lane. I've had a few bikers pass me on the right in my lane when riding solo. It can be a big surprise if I'm not ready for it.

I personally don't do it, nor do I care for it much when others do it. But now that it's happened a couple times, I keep an eye on the mirror when another bike pulls up behind me.

Ride defensively. You never know what the other guy (or gal) is gonna do.

'dale

#21 ·
If bikes are blocking or holding the fast lane and will not let others pass, I have and will pass them. The right lane is the travel lane, the left is passing. Left is not for bikers that can't deal with traffic.

#22 ·
Guy was an unsafe a$$hole.. only thing constructive to take from the experience is watching in those mirrors, group rides or solo.

#25 ·
Have had a few bikes pass me on the right side of me in my lane, not the most comfortble thing to have have happen.

Have had a few pass me on the left side of me while in my lane, not quite as nerve racking.

I have also passed groups of 25 to 50 bikes in my lane as I approached them going slower than the posted speed limit.

I just swing far left, ride the center line and cruise past them, never got the one finger salute from any of them as that is what is exspected of a solo rider when they come apon a group out for event ride or social ride and they are not traveling up to speed on a 2 lane road.

#28 ·
I believe it is illegal in all states to pass another vehicle in the same lane. A motorcycle is entitled to one full lane, same as any 4 wheeled vehicle.

I was riding home from work one afternoon in the HOV lane, and a DPS motor cop passed me on the left , in the shoulder. Freaked me out because you don't expect traffic on your left in the HOV lane, and I didn't hear his ST1300 until he was passing me. I was watching traffic to my right so I could change lanes and didn't see him approaching in my rear view.

A motorcycle is also entitled to a full parking space, but don't get me started on that. That's another rant for another day.

#34 ·
I think the passer should have waited for the group to move over to the right lane allowing him to pass in the left.

That said, I think the pack should have taken the first safe opportunity to do so. Would they have moved over if the passer had waited? I hope so. I don't care for speeders that decide how much over the speed limit it ok by parking it in the passing lane.

Not saying that's what the pack was doing, just saying I don't care for it when someone does.

#35 ·
I'm tried of getting stuck behind a slow moving parade of H-D's that refuse to give way to faster traffic. I ride an H-D and will pass groups of slower moving bikes, with out much of a second thought, if I can see far enough ahead.

I have no problem lane splitting the azzhats cars that like to play cop, by driving side by side down the highway.

I have never been held up by groups of sportbikes, or ADV style bikes, only the H-D's in parade formation.

#36 ·
Wow man. To be "tired" of something means it must happen a lot. I very very VERY rarely ever encounter a problem of "slow moving parade of H-D's".

Roll ever how you want to roll, man. Every man just needs to be willing to deal with the consequences of his actions. You sound a bit like a crotch-rocketeer to me, but I actually don't give a f--k. The bunch I ride with, well, I don't think ANYBODY ever accused us of "holding up faster moving traffic." If you came close to endangering one of 'em, the whole group would follow you clear off to the next country for a meeting. Every damn one of 'em.

#39 ·
wow I can't be leave all the crying. you never said how fast he passed your group did he blow by or pass a few mph faster? I ride both a crotch rocket and a ultra classic . it don't matter which one Iam on I will passa slower group of bikes or cars, but I do it in a safe manner . I would love some one to stop me and bitch me out for passing them. one of us would be riding home with no teeth. just cause you ride a HD don't make you special. ok stoping my rant

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#43 ·
ok your right crying wasn't the right word to use. I just pisses me off that some HD riders think there better than a non HD rider. the OP is right calling the other rider a azz if he put him and the others in danger. But he doesn't say how he passed them, so everybody to jump on the wagon and call the rider names are crybabies. know a few HD riders that if.thay were broke down no cell or miles to town I wave and not even think of stopping

#44 ·
Did you read the OP...

I suddenly noticed a BMW/Suzuki alike bike came up behind me and lane split-ed to pass me and the rest of the bikes ahead of me. (I was 5th) It scared me quite a bit because I did not expect anything (bike or car) to pass me in the same lane I was in.

Taken straight from post#1.

#45 ·
I see your point about passing in the same lane. But it can be done safely some people don't like and never will and some it won't bother if its done safe. if he would of blew by me yes it would piss me off, but to go buy at a save speed I would be ok with it. I Gus's being on race tracks and passing at high speeds make Hy passing not intimidating

#50 ·
The highway is not a race track. If you're passing traffic in the same lane and the traffic you're passing is going at or above the posted speed limit then it is NOT SAFE to pass. Doing so puts other riders lives in jeopardy especially if a rider is startled to the point of flinching and maybe veering into one of his staggard riding companions.

If you absolutely need to pass then might I suggest that signaling the group of your intentions to do so would be much appreciated :nod .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.