Harley Davidson Forums banner

My new glove liners

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mat 60 
#1 ·
I got these heated glove liners, mailman dropped them off on Friday (which was 65 degrees, btw).

Thermo Gloves Rechargeable Heated Glove Liners
I wore them for the commute today (65 miles each way). At least so far this morning they held up pretty well. My hands were still a little cold when I got to work, but not quite as cold as they get wearing non-heated glove liners at about 30 degree temperatures.

They are supposed to last two hours on the highest setting, 5 hours on the lowest (yeah, I did the highest this morning). I'll find out I suppose if the batteries last on the trip home. They are rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries.

Oh, the temp when I left the house this morning was 10F. I kept my speed around 65~70, which, depending on which wind chill reference you are using (old way or new way) would make the "feels like" index at -37 for the old way and -20 for the new way.

I do need to find better anti-fog. Had to stop half way through the commute to de-ice the visor on the brain bucket.

I will add that sitting on a motorcycle seat in 10 degree weather is like sitting on a rock. Them things freeze pretty darned solid.

See less See more
#2 ·
I found a solution to the fogging deal.....but you're not going to wanna hear it......

I was at a yard sale, and the guy had a full face helmet for sale for $10. I figured as long as it didn't smell like asss, I'd buy it. No asss smell and here, the shield is double-glass. (Lexan) It's a snowmobile helmet.

The double layer of lexan has an air barrier, like a double-paned window, which prevents fogging by 100%.....

I've yet to find anything else that prevents it. Your warm breath on anything, below 45* is just a problem, and more if the humidity is higher.

If you survived 65-70 speeds, at 10*F, then you have a good pair of gloves/heaters. Hardly anything is usable in those temps that you can say "really works".

Rechargable is even better.........

#6 ·
I found a solution to the fogging deal.....but you're not going to wanna hear it......

I was at a yard sale, and the guy had a full face helmet for sale for $10. I figured as long as it didn't smell like asss, I'd buy it. No asss smell and here, the shield is double-glass. (Lexan) It's a snowmobile helmet.

The double layer of lexan has an air barrier, like a double-paned window, which prevents fogging by 100%.....

I've yet to find anything else that prevents it. Your warm breath on anything, below 45* is just a problem, and more if the humidity is higher. . .

I have a pinlock on my fullface winter helmet. You are correct. Nothing else works, and this works perfectly.

PinlockUSA | PinlockUSA

#3 ·
I had recently seen a helmet with a double pane visor, I hadn't thought about looking for snow machine gear, would those be DOT? Now, the key is to find a place around this area that deals in snow machine gear. I may need to check out Cabela's, but for some reason I am having my doubts about that.

They worked well enough. I wouldn't say my hands were toasty warm, but at least they weren't cold enough to hurt when I got to work (have had that happen in the past which is why I previously had my cut-off temp at 30F).

Thanks for the input Dave!

#7 ·
.....would those be DOT?
Crap.... I never even thought of that. Now I have to go look. It doesn't matter for me living in a "No Helmet" state, but it may important if my head hits the ground.

Not sure if snowmobile helmets are safe for macadam surfing.

#9 ·
Sounds like it's better than nothing, but $150? Wow. I guess if you use them all the time it's worth it. The comments about fogging is what really keeps me from riding in the cold. I was riding to work in the morning one day at 37 degrees as I knew the ride home would be worth it, and it's only about a 25 minute ride. I had to keep opening the visor to clear the fog. By the time I got within a few minutes of work I HAD to leave it open. At least it was through town.

#10 ·
I plan on using them all the time and the $150 is a bit better than the $200+ for the Gerber or HD gloves that plug into the bike. An added bonus is they are not 'tethered' to my bike (so to speak), I can use them anywhere, anytime. My motorcycle is my primary form of transportation. If it's raining or snowing I do take the 5/8's cage, but 90% of the time, the bike is it, it's what I have.

Chasarms, I like the pinlock concept. Doesn't look like they make one for my brand of helmet, do you know if they have a 'universal' version? I can't seem to find anything about that on their website.

I think I'm going to go ahead and give this a try though: http://shop.pinlockusa.net/p/fogcity-fog-resistant-adhesive-insert-lens-for-helmet-shields-universal-clear?pp=8&pp=8

#17 ·
I wear a bandanna, which I am finding makes a piss-poor breath deflector. However, I did try something this morning that made quite a bit of difference (good for the meantime while I find a better solution). I taped a Ziploc bag to the bandanna. The Bandanna was still there to help keep my face warm, and the plastic inside it provided a much better deflector for my breath.

#15 ·
I got these heated glove liners, mailman dropped them off on Friday (which was 65 degrees, btw).

Thermo Gloves Rechargeable Heated Glove Liners
I wore them for the commute today (65 miles each way). At least so far this morning they held up pretty well. My hands were still a little cold when I got to work, but not quite as cold as they get wearing non-heated glove liners at about 30 degree temperatures.

They are supposed to last two hours on the highest setting, 5 hours on the lowest (yeah, I did the highest this morning). I'll find out I suppose if the batteries last on the trip home. They are rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries.

Oh, the temp when I left the house this morning was 10F. I kept my speed around 65~70, which, depending on which wind chill reference you are using (old way or new way) would make the "feels like" index at -37 for the old way and -20 for the new way.

MOnzie,

Do these glove liners fit well under your regular gloves? I have winter riding gloves but my hands are already large. My HD glove are 3x. I'd hate to spend the $ only for them not to fit...

#16 ·
They do fit very well. The material is pretty thin. After the first day of riding with them and my hands were still a bit cold - but not uncomfortably so. I decided to see if I could wear my other glove liners in addition to the heated glove liners under my gloves.

What I use for my regular glove liners is a pair of fleece Isotoner SmartTouch gloves.

Everything still fits under my regular winter gloves without feeling too bulky, and the extra glove liner makes a HUGE difference, my hands are toasty warm all the way in now.

#18 ·
Snowmobile helmets (usually) have a breath deflector that velcroes (now 'velcroes' is a verb! :laugh ) in place over your nose with a piece of aluminum inside to conform to the bridge of your nose. This in conjunction with the double lens shield work great!

Here's a pic (I hope . . . ) of a shield I just got on warranty from an HJC Street Helmet with the same design approach for cold weather. You can see the two panes lead to a vent on each side . . .

With this helmet you get a chin curtain that snaps and velcroes into place to keep the cold from getting in at your neck . . . still working on the best set up for me on that one!

Attachments

#21 ·
Ski-Doo Modular 2 Electric SE Helmet - Modular 2 try this link Canadian web site but you probably can get them in the US. This is the helmet I run when sledding at -25C . Breath deflector,heated shield, and built in sun visor, it slides down like fighter pilot helmet.The breath deflector on this helmet snaps in. DOT approved.
I have been using this helmet for years..Love it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.