Harley Davidson Forums banner

Price of HD Extended Warranty

109K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  Louisville Joe 
#1 ·
Has anyone found a dealer who will discount the cost of the HD Extended Warranty when purchased as a 'stand alone' item?

I've heard of dealers who will discount the warranty when you purchase a bike. However, I've already got the bike so I'd only be purchasing the warranty.

My bike comes out of the two year factory warranty in a couple of months and I'm interested in buying the additional 5 year warranty, with wheel & tire coverage for a Touring model.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Bob, I don't know if HD has a "fixed" or standard cost, but I do know the dealers don't all charge the same price. For an example, while shopping 2 dealers here in Louisville for my 2013 Road Glide Custom, one dealer quoted me $1,739 for the 5 years with a $50 deductible--no wheel or tire coverage--and the other dealer quoted me $1,989 for the same plan. So far I haven't bought it but I might before my 2 year factory warranty is up. Then again, I may purchase a 5 year with $50 deductible plan from a local credit union. Their cost is $774. The credit union plan doesn't cover everything the HD plan covers but it covers all the major components and then some.

Hope this is helpful to you.

#16 ·
I never bought a Harley extended warranty. Usually, dealer warranties are grossly overpriced. I have had a few friends who either had a tough time getting the dealer to honor the warranty or who were simply told that the warranty did not cover whatever went wrong with the bike.

I'd like to read the warranty document to see what it covers. Just signing up for a warranty does not mean that it will cover what you think that it covers.

Most twin-scam motors can go 40k or 50k without any serious problems, though some fail much earlier. If you replace the automatic primary chain adjuster with a Baker unit, you can probably expect to get around 60k before you have to start tearing into the motor. If you replace the cam chain tensioners at 25k to 30k you can greatly reduce the odds of a chunk of hardened plastic clogging up a journal on the cam plate or causing other lubrication issues.

If you are a low-mileage rider, then you are probably just as well off putting the warranty money in the bank and using it to make repairs or to perform preventative maintenance on the motor.

The twin-scam motor has some flaws that are worthy of its own Shakespearean tragedy. However, if you can find a shop where the mechanics are aware of these issues and get ahead of them, they can prevent a lot of issues for not too much money.

Leo and AJ from Open Road Cycles in Denver, NC have pretty much figured out what you need to do to keep your twin-scam motor running. One of the least expensive mods is the Baker manual primary chain adjuster. You can pay them now, or you can pay them a lot more later.

Pete

The total repairs on my 2009 Dyna Super Glide with a little over 61k on it were around $800 to replace the inner primary and clutch bearings, with a new clutch and a Baker manual primary chain adjuster. I just spent another $800 on a new oil pump, cam plate and cam chain adjusters. That is less than what a warrant would cost and I'm not at all certain that a Harley extended warranty would cover those repairs.

#4 ·
Some warranty companies will discount slightly at the initial sell because there is less risk. A small, but statically consistent percentage of those bikes will be stolen or totaled before the factory term expires, and so they will never pay a penny out on them. Even though some do refund some of the premium in these cases, it isn't much.

These warranties are fixed-cost, third-party contracts. Harley sells them on behalf of another company. If they are being additionally discounted by the dealer at the original purchase, it is just on paper. They have enough money in the deal to write it to look like they are discounting the warranty. Once you reach the end of the factory warranty, the company is immediately at risk, so they tighten up.

The only other place for wiggle room is the commission. I have a close relative who is a finance officer for an auto dealership. He writes loans, but he also gives everyone who has already committed to the deal all of the up-sale pitches - upholstery protection and such and of course the extended warranty. He puts a nice little chunk of money in his pocket every time he sells one. So, if you can find someone who'll share his commission with you, you might find a better deal.

#5 ·
Good question. I negotiated the price of my extended warranty when I bought the bike. I guess you have to ask youself why a dealership would negotiate with someone on a warranty for a used bike whether they sold it to you originally or not. They are taking all the risk and I would expect they would have no reason to drop the price of the additional warranty. I'm talking only about HD dealerships of course.

#7 ·
I'm with UDawg.
I called Jim Palmer for an extended warranty on my 2013 FLSTC (& I am no where near WI), & got a seven (7) year deal with tire coverage for $500 less than what my stealership wanted for a five (5) year without tire coverage. Do your homework/research. I'm a happy girl. :)

#10 ·
Ok, so how much is a 7 yr with tire warranty?

Yeah, I know, it's an old thread but I'm curious if it's still offered.

#11 ·
Sorry, I can't answer your question because all of my paper work on the extended warranty is in storage. I do know I saved about $500 on what my local dealer wanted by purchasing it from Kutter HD in Janesville, Wisc.

I bought 5 additional years which included the tire and wheel coverage.

Give Jim Palmer a call at Kutter HD. I have no connection with them other than purchasing the warranty from them. Jim is great to work with!!!

Bob

#13 ·
I paid $2200.00 for 5 years with tire and wheel.
Bike has to have less than 75000 miles.

#17 ·
If anyone is a vystar credit union member, I think florida only, they offer members esp plans. 50 deductible, covers everything except maintenance items. 3 years was 800 bucks. This did not include wheel and tire, but they did offer it. I used them for a one claim and didn't have any issues. I will get another one when the factory warranty expires

#22 ·
I would probably use that up in tires. Hmmm, something to think about. I have the factory warranty for 12 more months.

#26 ·
#25 ·
After 12 months I bought the additional 5yr warranty (7 total) from the dealer I bought the bike from.

They originally wanted 1500 when I bought the bike. Said I could come back any time during the 2 yr warranty and they would sell it to me for that.
When I went to buy it the next year they wanted 1800, but I reminded them what the Sales mgr said (when I bought the bike). Beat them up for 1300.

#31 ·
The motor company in conjustion with the dealership have the warranties set at a retail rate or sometime above retail rate. Their initial cost is usually much lower than what you are being quoted. They get bar and shield credits for both stand alone as well as purchase with the new or used unit also. So my advice would be to ask to see the pricing provided by the oem that they give the dealership. You probably won't get the one with the cost sheet but there is a retail sheet out there and depending on model there is a good amount of difference to negotiate. As a prior rep, I never withheld the retail sheet from the customer, and with that being said I never marked it up above the retail price of what HD ESP had listed. However, I did work with the customer to make it fit the amount they could afford. Even if it meant only the profit margin would only gain a few bucks over the cost to the dealership. Each situation was differnt but I still kept the dealership from loosing money yet the customer able to purchase. If a dealership will not show you the retail pricing in print from HD ESP with the pricing, my advise is DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THAT DEALERSHIP! Yes they are in it to make money, but some will offset it by product to offset profit loss in other areas of the sale.

#34 ·
I just paid $2400 for 5 years on my 2017 RK because I wanted th Stage IV kit that they are installing covered as well. If I went with just the 2 year standard warranty and wanted to extend it later, the kit would NOT be covered under the new extended warranty. Plus, the warranty has unlimited milage. I like that.

Reactions: Miles Tequillya
#35 ·
I purchased an extended warranty for my 2010 Ultra Classic when it had 20,000.00 miles on it. I paid $1500.00 for 5 years of coverage and it paid for itself several times over. 1 ABS Module, 1 ABS wheel sensor, outer primary bearing, outer and inner primary bearings, transmission bearings and shaft, front wheel bearings, compensator replacement, Harmon Kardon radio replacement. I will be purchasing another extended warranty for my 2016 Ultra Limited when the Factory Warranty gets ready to expire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.