Harley Davidson Forums banner

Shifter lever problem

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  webco2 
#1 ·
I have a touring and the back lever on the trany. Is there any easier way to get the lever off. I think the teeth are worn because there's play when I shift and I can see it.

#2 ·
Sounds like you're in for major surgery. Replacing that shaft requires removing a lot of hardware. If you're still in warranty, let the stealer do it.

#3 ·
Before trying to remove the shift arm try re-tightening the Allen bolt. Use an Allen socket on a long wobble extension and crank the snot out of the bolt. That usually does the trick.

#4 ·
I've looked at some that the splines were really stripped on . Remove the allen head bolt, run a tap through the shifter , replace allen head with a grade 8 hex head bolt . You can torque the grade 8 tighter than an allen wrench will stand .

There is also an after market shifter arm , it is two pieces so you don't have to pull the primary off to install it .

#5 ·
Take the allen head bolt out and replace it with a grade 8 5/16th bolt. A 1/2 inch socket and extension with ratchet,you can crank down on that lever. Check it for tightness every oil change.

#6 ·
FYI, the OEM shift arm Allen bolt is grade 8 and comes with pre-locktighted threads.
Replacing that shift arm requires removing the outer primary, the drive train and the inner primary. That's a good argument for trying to re-tighten the bolt or replacing it with a new one.

Reactions: Bikersarge
#13 ·
FYI, the OEM shift arm Allen bolt is grade 8 and comes with pre-locktighted threads.

Replacing that shift arm requires removing the outer primary, the drive train and the inner primary. That's a good argument for trying to re-tighten the bolt or replacing it with a new one.

This worked for me. This was one of the first things I learned from Schmidty when I joined this forum. Still tight 3 years later.

Thanks again, Schmidty!

--

#9 ·
The shift arm can be cut off without removing any of the covers. The new two piece arm is then bolted in place . Job takes less than one hour .

watch , learn, enjoy . :devil
Provided the shaft splines aren't stripped also.

#10 ·
The guys who sell a 225 dollar shift lever want you to think that removing the primary covers is brain surgery...it isn`t.

It`s just nuts and bolts.

You may be able to avoid removing the covers by using a two piece shift lever, but sooner or later you are going in there anyway, to fix a leak, replace an inner primary bearing, or replace a belt...

Nothing to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.