Harley Davidson Forums banner

Misaligned Handlebars

12K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  mcnphotog 
#1 ·
I removed the handlebars on my 02 Road King Classic last night to check to see if they were bent, they weren't. Since I bought the bike 2+ years ago I always noticed that the handlebars seemed misaligned, steering to the the right slightly while driving straight ahead and relative to the nacelle and clamp shroud. I suspected it might be because I had to replace the throttle grip and mirror that was damaged by taking a hit of the edge like it might have clipped a door or a garage or something. Anyway it is straight. I'm wondering though if a clamp riser might be misaligned or bent and can be adjusted by loosening the bolt (lower Clamp Fastener) from the bottom, straightening and re tightening? Has anyone experienced that?

See less See more
#3 ·
The upper clamp fasteners (bolts) only tighten down relative to the handlebars into the lower clamp, there is no play and no lower clamp bolts. When you say lower clamp bolts are you referring to the lower clamp fastener, which is what I originally asked about? Is there play where the lower clamp mounts to the bike?

#7 ·
My Heritage was the same way when I got it. It's common. Loosen the riser bolts (#11 in the original diagram) and re-align the bars. Then re-tighten. If the bars were knocked out of alignment, they may return to the same position of off-alignment when you re-tighten or work their way back there in short time.

Items #8 in your diagram are rubber bushings. They can get warped or twisted, especially if the bars were bumped. If you can't get the handlebars to align and stay aligned, disassemble the bars and replace the bushings. If you replace them, use the upgrade poly bushings. It's worth it.

#8 ·
Thanks, that sounds like the easiest thing to test and try first. If I have to do as webco ultimately suggests I anticipate having to remove the nacelle completely. The lower (riser bolts #11) fasteners I believe may be accessed without any dis-assembly and the bushings no more than what I had previously removed.

#11 ·
I had points on Amazon and just ordered a set of the poly bushings. I've noticed that the handlebars always seemed to push forward and back a bit without a lot of effort and wondered if that was excessively sloppy so I'll swap them in first and if need be try the other method. It may well be that (the forks) but to be honest I'm having difficulty visualizing it considering everything else seems to be in line (tire, forks, nacelle and clamp shroud). With the handlebars and upper clamps off the lower clamps looked like they were also aligned until I reassembled and tightened. In either case I'll know more next week.
Thanks all for the input.

#12 ·
I had points on Amazon and just ordered a set of the poly bushings. I've noticed that the handlebars always seemed to push forward and back a bit without a lot of effort and wondered if that was excessively sloppy so I'll swap them in first and if need be try the other method. It may well be that (the forks) but to be honest I'm having difficulty visualizing it considering everything else seems to be in line (tire, forks, nacelle and clamp shroud). With the handlebars and upper clamps off the lower clamps looked like they were also aligned until I reassembled and tightened. In either case I'll know more next week.
Thanks all for the input.
Could be that your riser bolts are not as tight as they should be too. You don't want to lose one of those! Kainam just ran into that butt puckering situation recently. Locktite is your friend!

#20 ·
Looks liked it is/was the bushings as Chasarms said. I was at the dealership this morning getting a retainer clip for wiring to the handlebars (one was missing) and on a whim asked the parts guy the best way to straighten the handlebars, told him the status. He said it was the bushings and to give the handlebars a good tug/shove while on the kickstand depending on which way it needed. Went out to the parking lot, did just that and wham, back in place. Still going to swap in the poly ones next week.
Thanks all.

#21 ·
Evidently they sent me the wrong bushings. The package and numbers match what they advertise for my bike but after pulling it all apart tonight to install them there is no way they can be inserted. See the comparison pix.
I'll be hitting the dealership tomorrow to view some new stock rubber ones to compare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.