Harley Davidson Forums banner

Foot shift lever sticking when cold

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  big john@dog 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Road King and have my first problem with it. When the engine is cold or cool, the foot shift lever wants to stick, mainly from first through third gear. I have to keep "playing" with it to get it to engage the correct gear. When the engine warms up/gets to operating temperature it shifts normally, problem gone. Can anyone explain what causes this to happen?
Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
If it were me I'd be looking at oil trans and primary. After that wait for an expert to come on. Go over to the new to the forum and introduce yourself, You'll get better response if you do.

#4 ·
You're welcome. how old is the oil, how cold is it when you 1st start the bike up. What weight is the oil. more info will help

#5 ·
Agree with scol..
Change Primary oil..
Trans oil

My 2000 RK had a similar issue (shifting to neutral)

#6 ·
The Road King shift assembly is isolated from the primary oil. I'd remove the front of the shift linkage from the shift shaft on the inside of the heel/toe assembly and see if that shaft moves freely in the boss. It just might need oil. Then check that the shift linkage itself feels free on the transmission arm, then check that the shift shaft coming out of the transmission moves freely. If all above moves easily, the problem is inside the trans.

#7 ·
What Breeze3at said. The shift shaft that goes thru the inner primary housing gets dry and corroded. Unscrew the 3/16ths Allen bolt from the inner shift arm and pull the shifter assy. out of the primary housing all in one piece, shifter pegs, shaft and all. Lube the shaft and clean the boss the shaft goes thru.
Ya gotta give the shift arm and shifters a good tug to pull them outta the primary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.