Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hello from NOVA

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  GreyGhost 
#1 ·
Great forum! I've been reading up a bit and glancing at pics of all the nice scooters here.
I used to ride many years ago on a learners permit and never fallowed thru on the license since the instructor failed me oh so many years ago for not sliding my visor down on my helmet during the test (insert face plant). Course I was invincible back then and decided i didn't need a license.
Twenty some years later I'm finally going to get back into the saddle and want something bigger than a Honda Magna 500 for my 6'6" 290lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal. Yes, I'm sure I looked like a circus bear riding that tricycle back in the day.
I'm signed up to take the Harley riding course next month and want to get into something that will accommodate my frame.
All my (peddle) bikes are custom fit and I imagine a bike wouldn't be any different and was told the same by my local Harley dealer.
I'm not looking for a huge bike with fairings. Sadly I really like the Iron 883, just wish it came in a double wide.
I guess if I could chose a style of bike it would look something like this.

Or

Or

I don't think they make an economical bike like the above stock for guys my size.

I've got my eye on either a Breakout or a Road King (special).
Do you guys think I could make either one of them work for me?
The plan is to test ride some bikes after I get my license and then make a decision on a bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome from Kentucky. With regard to your selection of a bike, what kind of riding will you be doing most of the time. Short trips & bar hopping, afternoon cruises, longer trips with maybe some overnighters? After not having a bike for more than 30 years I finally succumbed and bought a 1200 Sportster. Later went to a Dyna Fat Bob. Now ride a Road Glide and wish I had gotten my touring bike much earlier. It is everything to me for all the kinds of riding I do.

Sit on and test ride every bike you can. Then buy the Road King and fit it with proper grips, seat, bars, windshield and you will be the happiest camper around. :grin

#9 ·
Detachable saddlebags? What reason would you ever have to detach them? You don't see them while riding. They are not in the way of anything. I didn't have bags on my Sportster or my Fat Bob. But then I never did any overnight trips on my Sportster or Fat Bob. And after having bags now I couldn't get by without them. Even for just casual, local riding I keep things in the bags that now I don't want to be without. Can you say: Tire plug kit & plug in compressor, basic tools, rain suit, sweatshirt, cleaning/wiping rags, water bottle, extra glasses, sunscreen, music CDs, owner's manual, extra ammo, etc?

And hey, I got an insulated cooler type bag contoured to fit a saddlebag. HD sells one but the dang thing takes up the WHOLE saddlebag and that's too much cooler and takes up too much valuable space for my needs--the one I got only takes up half a saddlebag and has room for ice and several drinks and keeps everything cold for a very long time. Great on longer rides/trips.

#7 ·
Thanks, yeah I've always liked that style but don't have any experience in riding one. I really need to get out and test ride a few styles.
My buddy says the bobber would be very uncomfortable on longer rides but fun for a bar hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I love the BreakOut but I am short. I think with some highway pegs it might be better for you. I had a tall buddy that loved his RK though. I had the Breakout on several 500+ miles days. I think any bike can be made to work with the right mods. Wide seat, forward controls, right bars, ... happy hunting and welcome to the forum.

#10 ·
You won't mind having saddlebags nearly as much as you will miss them if you don't have them.

Three words: Road. King. Special.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Louisville Joe
#11 ·
Personally I can't stand having saddlebags on my Softail unless I'm on a road trip. I like the streamline look without them. Inconvenient as hell but such is life. I'm working on a leather fender bag big enough for a 6pak and a bottle of Jack. Maybe if I made my own bags of feel differently. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.