Harley Davidson Forums banner

Post your dyno results.

114K views 142 replies 78 participants last post by  Steven@Trask 
#1 ·
This section will be for dyno results, your list of mods (before and after) and pics of the dyno sheets and their results.

Any off-topic comments will be deleted. Keep it on track.

Questions not related to the dyno testing should be sent via PMs and kept off the board.

Lets see those dyno sheets.

Big6x6's idea to do this is a good one, IMHO.:thumbsup

#9 ·
Ill keep evertone updated with some stuff we do around our shop....

09 streetglide, 120r, borezilla 2-1, 58mm tb, race tuner.

135hp 130trq, sorry no sheet im on my work comp.

115ft lbs at 2200 rpm

#10 ·
For comparison though we did also just do a jims 131 that had reverse numbers from the 120r, still ran good, but for an aditional 11 cu in. Meh, oh and 4k extra for the motor.

#12 ·
Tale of three dyno tunes...

First dyno tuned bike I ever had, 2010 Street Glide:

Max HP- 102.1 @ 5400rpm Max Torque 113 lbs @ 3100rpm

After riding with THAT tune...the Stage I Softail Deluxe felt like a 750. So that lead to THIS tune:

Max HP- 87.4 @ 6000rpm Max Torque 93.2 ft lbs @ 4000rpm
Stage IV H-D kit

That wasn't what I wanted so to Foster's H-D to do their stuff:

Max HP- 102 @ 6000rpm Max Torque 108.6 @ 3800rpm

HUGE improvement all the way around. HUGE difference in torque below 2500 rpm.

The second Deluxe tune featured of course a new dyno tune and swapped the SE 260 cam that comes with the Stage IV kit for a Venom Black Widow 44-TC cam.. BIG difference. Looks to be a LEAST a 13 ftlb torque improvement across the board and 12 hp improvement across the RPM range. About 90 ft lb from 2500-5800 rpm and 100 ft lb from about 3000 to 5200 rpm. I have not ridden it that much YET(raining about every afternoon), but I'm sure it will take the heavier SG now from seat of the pants feel.

Hard not to notice how good of a tune the SG has. The Deluxe doesn't catch up to the SG until about 3500rpm or later. But catch up it does.

Heath said the Pro Pipe is really helping the SG along with the fact it's not a "B" engine.

Pretty interesting!

#13 ·
ok doing 37g cames and ss pipes befor dyno 2003 Road King Classic. 88ci SE filter, slip ons program
more to come

#14 ·

Andrews 37G cams
Andrews gear drive DS-199538 4 gear
S&S adjustable push rods 0928-0017
Cam plate designed by Dan Thayre
oil pump designed by Dan Thayre
S&S True Power Duals Head Pipes
S&S SPO stainless Mufflers
Dyno tune by Dan Thayre
SE stage 1 air cleaner 29773-02c
Engine 88ci, stock CR, stock heads

#15 ·
Got my first tune yesterday...

2011 FatBoy Lo
SE Intake
PC-V
V&H Staggered Short Shots

they said I gained about 24hp over stock
my numbers are:
88 hp 84 ft/lb

sounds to me like 24hp is a lot for just i/e/c.... but I'm glad I had it done it runs smoother...

#19 ·
Correction Method, SAE vs STD

The horsepower and torque available from a normally aspirated internal combustion engine are dependent upon the density of the air... higher density means more oxygen molecules and more power... lower density means less oxygen and less power.

The relative horsepower, and the dyno correction factor, allow mathematical calculation of the affects of air density on the wide-open-throttle horsepower and torque. The dyno correction factor is simply the mathematical reciprocal of the relative horsepower value.

Originally, all of the major US auto manufacturers were in or around Detroit Michigan, and the dyno reading taken in Detroit were considered to be the standard. However, as the auto industry spread both across the country and around the globe, the auto manufacturers needed a way to correlate the horsepower/torque data taken at those "non-standard" locations with the data taken at the "standard" location. Therefore, the SAE created J1349 in order to convert (or "correct") the dyno data taken, for example, in California or in Tokyo to be comparable to data taken at standard conditions in Detroit.

SAE:
"SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.

STD:
STD is Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard."

Here is some quick math (using assumptions and round numbers):

STD:
Air Temperature: 60F
Absolute Pressure: 29.92 inches Hg
Relative Humidity: 0%

Relative Horsepower : 104.8%
Air Density: 1.223kg/m3
Relative Air Density: 99.8%
Density Altitude: 67feet
Virtual Temperature: 60F
Vapor Pressure: 0 inches Hg
Dyno Correction Factor: .955

SAE:
Air Temperature: 77F
Absolute Pressure: 29.23 inches Hg
Relative Humidity: 0%

Relative Horsepower : 100%
Air Density: 1.157kg/m3
Relative Air Density: 94.4%
Density Altitude: 1952feet
Virtual Temperature: 77F
Vapor Pressure: 0 inches Hg
Dyno Correction Factor: 1

Reactions: Giggz
#20 · (Edited by Moderator)

98 Evo
SE-11 Cam, SE Slip ons baffels cut down to only the plugs, SE 10:1 .005 pistons, 44mm CV and intake with SE breather kit, SE Coil, wires, plugs, sel mild port/clean up of heads, dynatek programmable ignition with 6k red line and my own custom curve

just a touch over 80tq with 85hp, however i only paid to have her put on the dyno, not tuned, she was alittle rich in the mid range thus causing the dip in power, i since changed the jetting and gave more advance in that rpm range to bring up the power, never got her re-dyno'd though

#22 ·
2005 rk with 120R crate engine bolt in

specs 2005 RK
stock 120R engine
Sampson 1 3/4 t dual pipes crusher mellows
HPI 58 t/b
HPI high pressure reg
6.2 injectors
bandit clutch
zipper high flow cleaner
tts tuner.

His old build was a 95 with the same ex with a mystery slip on, SE 257 cams.

We did try the open crusher muffler as well, and lost power.I do think a power X head pipe would have shown more gains but not in the cards on this build.

Attachments

#24 ·

2003 88"TC bored to 95"
Andrews 37G cams
Dan Thayre Oil pump and cam plate
S&S Gear drive 4 gear
S&S adjustable push rods
S&S True Power Dual pipes w/ S&S SPO mufflers
Power Vision
Dyno tuned
stock heads ported, new seats and replaced exhaust valves
Stock jugs punch out to 3.875"
S&S 92-1200 Pistons
Cometic gaskets

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.