Harley Davidson Forums banner

110 Heat???

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  candyman1340 
#1 ·
Can someone explain to me why the 110 motor puts out more heat?
I have always heard that the 110 runs hotter than the 103. So why does it? I mean 7 cubes is not really that much difference. I don't think there is that much difference in the compression. Just doesn't make sense to me.

While we are at it. Seems a lot of people say using a 2 into 1 exhaust system is hotter. Is this true. And how much noticeable difference is there?
I'm running V&H Power Duals with Hi-Flow mufflers right now on my 2016 CVO RGU. Thinking about going to a 2-1 system, but don't know that I can stand much more heat.

Thanks ahead for your thoughts.
MH

#2 ·
Alot of it comes down to the tune
Lean runs hotter than rich

Also..the bigger the motor..the more fuel u will burn per cycle...more fuel means more heat when u r running a factory epa lean tune...

If properly tuned a 2-1 may not produce more heat..however u may feel a bit more on your leg from where the 2 pipes merge together

#3 ·
No reason 2 into 1 is any hotter, but the heat is concentrated in a smaller exhaust system.

As to why a 110 is hotter than a 103, bigger, of course, and because of emission concerns, maybe less efficient.

Haven't seen any actual measurements, so just going with the assumption that a 110 is noticeably hotter, it may not really be.

#4 ·
now let me say that one thing that could be making me feel more heat is the lowers on this new bike. I have never had a bike with the hard lowers before, so they could be blocking the wind enough so that the heat is felt a little more. And, with it being a water cooled bike, that radiator is putting out some heat that blows right on my legs. So that me be a lot of the noticed heat that I'm actually feeling.

But that doesn't explain why everyone always says that the 110 runs hotter.

#5 ·
The more cubic inches means it burns more fuel, more fuel means more BTU's .....and with the same number of fins on the cylinders, it can only shed so much heat ,it also has the same oil capacity , so without the ability to shed the excess heat , the result is higher temps.

My 09 UG has a much larger engine , 131" ,I added another oil cooler ,it added another quart to the total capacity.
I'm not sure if the 2 to 1 exhaust makes a difference in engine heat , but it opened up a good place to mount the extra oil cooler under the left saddlebag. Typical temps run around 200* + or - 30*.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.