Harley Davidson Forums banner

What causes discoloring of the exhaust pipe?

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SCHMIDTY 
#1 ·
What causes this discoloring of the exhaust pipe?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Usually too lean of a mixture. Did you change your air intake and exhaust? Would be nice to know more information, year of bike, miles on bike, items added to bike, etc. Just sayin'!!

#3 ·
Are those Rineharts 3.5's? Do those have any fiberglass packing in them that may be missing? I know that the Rineharts that I've had can be a bitch to take apart to play with the baffles and such. Does the discoloration clean up easily enough with anti bluing products?

#4 ·
All bike pipes discolor as they heat temper, thin gauge metal and cheap chrome ! Ceramic coated pipes are the best for resisting discoloring. If the engine is tuned correctly there should only be discoloring about 12" from the head.

Reactions: tlg1100
#6 ·
Oh wow, that pic didn't show when I saw the OP's first post. Yes that's the reversion area of the exhaust ... excess fuel burning down leg in the muffler. To rich IMO. That engine needs a good tune !

#12 ·
Why not just try some chrome cleaner to see if it cleans them up ? I wouldn't use anything abrasive on those muffs yet. No steel wool for sure ! Maybe try oven cleaner, I've read that stuff works pretty good and doesn't affect the original finish.

Reactions: Convince Me
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.