Harley Davidson Forums banner

Camshaft for 2009 Night train!

8K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Blackdog 15 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 Night Train with V&H Big Shots Staggered and a VO2 Drak. It runs excellent. On the Dyno it pulled 72 hp @ 5200rpm and 82 ft lb from 2500-4200rpm. (torque curve is virtually flat) I would like to spruce it up a little more with a cam. I would prefer to use a SE cam but am open to Andrews. My riding is all street turning 1800-5000 rpm mostly. I would not mind a little more top end but I do not want to sacrifice streetability. An additional 10 hp would be nice. Any suggestions based on experience? :)

#3 ·
Do your research.....and alot of it. The new chain tensioners are fine if your not going all out racing motor. Talk to a good engine builder in your area on cam choices.

My 110 kit with roller rockers and Woods 7H cams has 108 hp/120 tq gets 45 mpg and is reliable. The builder has no concerns with the chain drive what so ever.

#4 ·
If you're changing cams, why not just illiminate the chain, gain some horsepower and run cooler without it ? and never have to mess with the chain or tensioners again.....seems like a no brainer if you're changing the cams anyway, plus you should always change lifters and the pushrods have to be removed anyway...

#7 ·
After much research and talking to the master tech at Rocket Harley, I have decided to go with SE 204 cams. (Ordered them on 6/18) He indicated that it would pull really well from idle to 5000+ rpm. (after tuning) and had no concern at all with the chain drive for my build. Also, it seems like the major manufacturers all have cam grinds very similar to the SE 204 so it must be a decent setup. I will let everyone know how I like it and will try to post the dyno numbers on here.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm glad you're not concerned about the chain drive, everyone I know doesn't like them and is planning change out to gear drives to eliminate the potential problems..I've seen the damage they make to the motors on two different bikes..not pretty...one motor was trashed due to it..Most of the Harley techs I know say it is a poor piece of engineering on the behalf of HD..One really good old school mechanic from Harley I know recommends changing the chain scrubbers every 10K miles...That is a lot of tear down,,,like every year ???3-5 hours of labor too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.