Harley Davidson Forums banner

Boot marks on pipes?

17K views 70 replies 57 participants last post by  bbally 
#1 ·
What can I use to get melted heel marks off my pipes? Tried Goo Gone and it did nothing.

#9 ·
I use a Mr. Clean magic eraser, you can get them at the grocery store, I've been told to be careful not to rub right through the chrome, they have worked every time on my bikes.

#14 ·
Boot Scuffs on Pipes

The easiest and best thing I have ever used is Bon Ami. Its just like comet or ajax and all you do is wet a small cloth and then sprinkle a small amount on rag and then rub gently on cool pipes and it comes right off . It does not scratch pipes nor harm anything else. I have used it for years and have had no damage!

#19 ·
The easiest and best thing I have ever used is Bon Ami. Its just like comet or ajax and all you do is wet a small cloth and then sprinkle a small amount on rag and then rub gently on cool pipes and it comes right off . It does not scratch pipes nor harm anything else. I have used it for years and have had no damage!
From one hillbilly to anothern how bout postin up in The New to the Community page so we can give you a nice Welcome
:thumb

#17 ·
Mind you...use nail polish remover sparingly and test on a small, cool area first. Use a cotton pad.
Soapy water to take off the remover so it won't keep eating away.

Come back and let us all know what worked.

#18 ·
I haven't had any marks on my Harley pipes, but was constantly getting them on my V-star pipes because of the pipes being staggered on one side. I too tried goo gone but i found that Meguiars cleaner wax works great!!!!!

#20 ·
No to steel wool. It'll definately scratch. Use aluminum foil to scrub. It's much softer than chrome. A friend took a chic for a ride on his NEW Softail Custom, she had flip flops on and they melted all over one of his pipes. He tried oven cleaner, polish, and several other things. We used to polish chrome on 18-wheelers with aluminum foil. I gave him some to use, and with some elbow grease, got his pipes clean. THEN, use some chrome polish to bring the shine back.

#21 ·
I have used several items to remove heel marks and shoe polish. Most chrome cleaners will work just fine. If you use steel wool make sure it is a very fine grade and don't scrub. You might try
Turtle Wax or Dupont bug and tar remover. Just let the solvent/cleaner soften the marks and they should come right off.

#27 ·
For boot marks, get some TurtleWax Chrome polish. Its not as evil as oven cleaner. A little rubbing on cold pipes and the black marks come right off.

Use Easy Off (the toxic shit) for stuff like melted plastic bags stuck to your pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.