Harley Davidson Forums banner

trip around Superior?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Chief Illiniwek 
#1 ·
Hey All, I live in central ohio and was thinking about a trip up to the MoCo in Milwaukee. Thought about then heading to Duluth, Thunder Bay, Across to Sault Ste. Marie, then back down through MI home. total about 2,200 miles. My question is...
How sparse is it across the north shore of Lake Superior? Do I need to plan stops to eat, rest, gas, lodge or can I just sort of wing it? Anyone who has done this trip and would like to drop me input, do's and dont's, must see it is much appreciated. Obviously a late spring, summer trip. Thanks everyone. George

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks like a great trip. I suspect on the Canada side, don't let the gas tank get below half-a-tank. There are lots of little towns and villages, but fuel availability may be spotty and depend on the time of day. As for lodging, there are places. I checked using AAA's Triptiks and the maps they have show lots of services on that side.

AAA TripTik Travel Planner- Maps, Directions, Guides and Discounts

#3 ·
I made that trip a few years ago. It was a really good trip.
No problem with gas/motels/restaurants. Mostly family run, very few of the chains. Some places they had not seen dollars for a long time, but were willing to take them in place of loonies.
You will enjoy.

#4 ·
I will be making part of that trip my self this summer. I will be going from Little Chute Wi north into Canada and east to Nova Scotia. Will follow your thread to see what people come up with.

#9 ·
It's just a booth along the way. We did alot of coast riding and it does take along time. That and the roads go from great to avoid the dark holes just around the corner.

NH, Maine, and Vermont were awsome and I will go back. If you have the time take the roads less traveled, the small towns and back roads are well worth it. Can't wait to get back to that area, but it will not happen in the near future, too many places to go and see.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. I'm definitely going now. I guess after looking over all of the links and hearing all of your thoughts I need to add a few more days to the trip

#15 ·
I did the Lake Michigan part of that a year or two ago. The UP on top of Lake Michigan (which is NOT on your trip) was pretty sparse. I had to pay attention to distances to the next town to make fuel decisions.

My guess is that it's even worse above Superior.

This is going to be an amazing trip. Please keep in touch so we can follow along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.