Harley Davidson Forums banner

Colorado Highway 9 in December

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  soccer 
#1 ·
Hey, thought I would toss a recent ride in here! Colorado 9 entertains those on two wheels just about its entire length. Enjoyed a scoot this week (not bad for December) following 9's lonely journey through southern Park County. Just me, the bike, and the road. Me thinks you would like the same, eh?

Here's the map of where the images below are from... https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...IdUQy2-Q&gl=us&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=11&t=m&z=10

At the "A" on the map the bike sits still for a portrait under a low December sun. The 13,000 ft. monarchs of the Mosquito Range are in the distance. We're not far below timberline here. Oh look at that scant snow up high. Been mostly a dry winter so far. Good for riding, not so good for many reasons. Fortunately, as I type this, snow is smothering these peaks...

Now, just a few miles SE of the image above is the ghost town of Garo. Perhaps more accurately... the ghost building of Garo. The town site of Garo was named after Adolph Guiraud, a nearby homesteader. I suppose it was easier pronouncing and spelling "Garo" versus "Guiraud". The old Garo school was moved to a museum. The other structures succumbed to the high altitude winds and weather.

Chub Newitt founded the general store in Garo, and its decaying remains can be seen easily from Colorado 9 between Fairplay and Hartsel. The store actually thrived for a few decades from the late 1890's to the 1920's. Chub didn't fare as well, or as long. I believe it was some ranchers who came into the store looking for some guns to buy. A shotgun was given to them to examine; it fell to the floor and it happened to have a shell in the chamber. The gun discharged, peppering Chub's rear end with buckshot. According to historical archives, he died of "blood poisoning".

Here I am pausing in front of the old Garo General Store...

Some of you know I sometimes find old pictures of a place, stand where the photographer stood many years ago, frame the image as close as patience and cold fingertips allow, and let the pics tell the tale.

Local residents stopping by the store between 1890 and 1910...

See less See more
#2 ·
And other locals who came by when a camera happened to do the same...

Further south the approach to modest Currant Creek Pass is made. Note Colorado 9 ascending the saddle in the distance. This pass is only at 9,500ft. elevation, but in my opinion, pass elevation quantity does not necessarily equate to pass riding quality...

At the pass summit, a pause looking back, with the road weaving a path through the lumpy carpet of sand colored meadows. I know some of you might be wringing your hands in apprehension, concerned how I have parked the Milwaukee steed. Well, be relieved knowing there isn't anyone coming or going. Besides, who wants to put a sidestand down on that soft, sloping shoulder!

The road continues with its ways, with more forested fur on the hillsides...

If ever placing your bike on this sweet new pavement, and you find yourself near Guffey at lunchtime (at the turn on the map above), check out this very small, authentic, historic town, and pull into biker friendly Rita's Place. A Triumph Bonneville rider who is 70 years old, had the same idea as I did this December day...

At the B on the map above is where the last pic is taken. Park County 102 leading east towards the shy, not oft seen western sides of Pikes Peak in the distance. Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas everyone!

#12 ·
Amen to that.

I've run out of compliments for his work. Way, WAY up my bucket list is a trip out to Colorado and a meet-up and ride with Steve.

#11 ·
Wonderful job Steve! I've got to get to Colorado for a ride sometime. Thanks for sharing.

#13 ·
Great pics as always, and what looks to be a very nice ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.