Harley Davidson Forums banner

New Rider Help

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  AndyG 
#1 · (Edited)
So while I'm deployed I purchased a 2013 Super Glide Custom as my first motorcycle. I decided to go all out for my first bike instead of buying a new one a few months later. I’m 6ft tall and 180lbs so figured I could handle this sat on a couple bike before I left and liked them. So my plan is to take the Riders Edge Course since Affess is paying for the course and then take the Army Basic Riders course to meet requirements on the Army side of the house. I don't plan on leaving my neighborhood probably for the first month or two practicing turning, breaking, and other stuff as well. I had a "Crash Bar” Engine Guard added on just to be "SAFER" when I drop the bike. So my question do you guys have any things/courses you practice we have some abandon roads and big cul-de-sacs to practice in about 5 blocks from my house. I would like to ride about 1 to 2hrs a day to get up to speed so any information on setups/equipment would be nice. I'm getting a full face helmet, Harley leather with armor, leather gloves and boots and Kevlar reinforced jeans pants, neon yellow vest (Army required).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First, Thanks for serving...
We all appreciate that a lot.

Regarding your questions, practice is everything.
Slow-speed control and maneuverability is a must.
Something called the "Friction Zone" is a must learn for new riders.

Try the "Search" Function to find some good info on this and what and how to practice.

Welcome to the club.
Ride safe.
DeeDay

#3 ·
Welcome and thanks for your service!.

I didn't learn to ride until later in Life so I did exactly what you are proposing. Practice, practice, practice. I just got out there and rode and then asked lots of questions of my fellow bikers. I rode my bike everywhere and racked up about 9k my first year.

What really helps is what DeeDay suggested is to research riding styles, techniques and safety. Envious of your southern boys that you can ride all year long... Have fun and be safe!

#4 ·
Welcome and thank you for all you do.

I just started riding about a year and a half ago myself, though started with a much smaller bike. Like everyone else has said, practice practice practice. Don't think I even hit the hwy till 2 months later, and that was briefly. I spent most time riding little side streets to work everyday, getting the hang of things.

Good idea on taking the courses, I did and best decision ever, taught me some things I didn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
Ive found that 0-10 and 10-0 are the worst areas. Tyr to pull out and stop kinda quick to get past that area fast. Dont wheelie or try to do a stoppy and lock the front up but dont granny pull out or youll be wobbling alot. Once you find the friction zone on the clutch and get past 15mph your good. Go to the motorcycle safety foundation website they have video of the course. Get your waiver through them. I have yet to meet someone that can pass the state riding test on a bike biggrr then a 750cc. Its tough.

#6 ·
Thank you for your service. Best advice I can give you is educate, and prepare yourself as much as possible. When a rider tells you something listen and stay off the front brake when moving slow... when I say rider I mean someone thats put a lot of time and miles there is no substitute for that. Ya cracked me up "when I drop my bike" don't rush to join that club.. we'll be here when ya do. Be safe.

#7 ·
MSF trained, two year, 12k mile rider here. Also watched a few "ride Like a pro" videos and read books like "twist of the wrist." When taking off slowly, no problem if you keep your foot on the brake while feathering the clutch. You will go where you look, so keep your head up and pointed in the direction you want to go. Under 15mph counter balance; over 15mph counter steer. Straighten out before using the front brake. I think if you get good at slow maneuvers, the rest will take care of itself. The experts will be along shortly to fill in the blanks.

#8 ·
All good advise so far. My 2 cents. Take the courses and read everything you can find. Here is a link to a very good video dvd collection to watch https://www.ridelikeapro.com/ and practice, practice, practice. Have fun.

#9 ·
Thanks, I love what I do because of people like ya'll who care. Yeah I'm not scared to admit it will hit the ground I'm a realist sometimes hopefully "knocking on wood" I should be fine with the areas I have near my house practice shouldn't be any problems. As some have suggested I Ihave been reading alot lately about the "friction zone" which makes sense like driving a stick shift car. I think what worries/nervous is making slow turns for some reason. The good thing about the south is we can ride almost all year I'm originally from Lake Geneva Wisconsin and boy some guys would last well into december some years crazy cold. I also just ordered "Learn How to Ride the Easy Way" off ridelikeapro.com

#10 ·
Thank you indeed for your service! My advice is supported by the previous post above but cannot stress enough, common sense and defensive driving skills and ALWAYS anticipate idiots on the road trying to kill you due to not seeing, on cell phones, texting and just being cagers! Ride safe and always leave yourself an out when situations arise!

#11 ·
How much do you think the engine guards will help? I just read a few threads and said its a huge help. I was also reading today the using the rear brake during low speed manuvers is the best way. But yet I read another post that discusses using the Friction Zone for low speed manuvers both did however mention that the front break is a NO NO.

#12 ·
Thank you for serving.

Well, I will say that you need to learn both. If you use the friction zone you will still need to stop at some point. Some idiot will pull in front of you or decide to stop in your path even at slow maneuvering speeds. You need to learn and master all of the controls on the bike. Don't worry, this comes much easier with practice. Muscle memory will improve and will become second nature. However, never let yourself get over confident. Ride like you are being attacked from all sides. Defensive driving is the key. Always look for and keep a way out.

Never use the front brake unless you are upright and moving in a straight line. Any other time spells instant bad news!

I like the term engine guard, it has a more positive connotation. Im not saying you will never drop her, but think positive man. It is just like anything else you have learned practice, practice, and more practice.

Good luck!

#13 ·
Thanks for your service!

First off, look where you're going. Your body/brain will do the rest. Basically don't watch the road directly in front of you. You want to always be looking ahead. A quick glance directly in front is fine now and then.

Get in the habit of using both brakes. Front brake preferably while going straight (even though I'm guilty of using it turns, but, gently). Definitely no front brake should you hit gravel. I learned that the hard way.

The hardest things will be low speed manuevers. 15 and under you will want to lean the bike over while you remain upright/counter lean. Do NOT lean with the bike at low speed. You will go down.

I'm typing this on my phone, so I'm going to cut this short. Feel free to ask questions. There's never a stupid question.

#14 ·
Welcome and thanks for your service. Order a copy of Jerry Pallidino's "Ride Like A Pro" video. You can also find most, if not all of his stuff on You Tube. Just try to stay relaxed, be safe and enjoy. The more you practice , the easier it gets until it becomes second nature. Find a rarely used parking lot or cul de sac for your plp. Get some hi-vis duct tape and lay out some of the exercises in the video. This way you can leave your course or take it up when you're through. The friction zone is your friend. Good luck and happy motoring.:nod

#17 ·
Old Motorman knows what he's talking about. I had rode motorcycles most of my life, but was away from it for awhile. When I got my RK it took me a minute or two for it to become second nature again. I watched his tape several times and learned something each time. Now I get a kick out of doing PLP. :nod

#18 ·
Welcome. In TX you can download all of the written material for the Riders Edge course. It is probably close to the same anywhere else as well. There is some good info to read there. When you take the course, it will make more sense to you. Practice as much as possible but get the course in asap as you dont want to have to break any bad habits.

#21 ·
I received the video and watched it twice pretty good stuff rather short video though but gets the basics out. 1 question though when doing the weaving through the cones don't you counter balance the bike? ie lean the bike to the right body stays upright and you move the bike around your body correct?

#23 ·
Depends what speed. Low speed(i.e. Under 15-20) yes. Anything higher you lean with the bike. You can lean with it at low speeds if you wish, a good rider could probably throttle out and keep er going, but as a newb you will more than likely dump it and get all banged up.

I suggest getting on youtube and watch police rodeo videos. Those guys can ride like no other. The chit they do on a bagger blows my mind.

#22 ·
I don't think so. I keep my body in line with the bike when turning. Ever watch the bike races on the tube, you never see a rider going through a turn trying to stay upright while the bike is leaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.