Harley Davidson Forums banner

Lean angle of soft tail

12K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Pete 
#1 ·
I'm not an aggressive rider.. But wondering if the reduced lean angle of the soft-tail line compared to other HDs matters? Seems to be about 5-degrees less at least

#7 ·
I suggest, stop reading specs, if your bike, whatever it is, rides and handles the way you like, if it gets you where you're going, and you're happy, that's all that matters. Lean angles and such really don't matter for MOST people. As you say, "I'm not an aggressive rider", then you'll likely never know the difference.

#8 ·
My BreakOut drags the primary when I get aggressive but since I realized it was happening I can change my riding style slighty and fix the problem. I thought I was just grinding pegs for awhile so I didn't really care. It scrapes more than my 97 Heritage did but it corners better so I lean more than I would on the heritage so it really isn't a fault of the bike. I also like to think I would lean into the ST more that I would than a big bagger but have seen those guys whip those bikes around too, pretty impressive to see those drag.

#10 ·
My 03 fxst would drag the pipes on right turns but it was lowered in the rear. My friends 12' fatboy Lo drags the floorboards on every turn even when not being aggressive at all. My Road King will scrape the kick stand a little on left turns and my pipes on right turns when riding aggressive on the back roads. My RK turns MUCH better than my softail did fast or slow.

#12 ·
Same thing with that front tire. Gets more touchy as it nears end tread life. Fork brace gives more feed back, feels better connected with road.

#17 ·
Try a MC II , my Deuce went where ever I wanted to , handled much better than with Dunlops. Grated bridges , cracks , tar snakes not an issue , smooth ride too.Tires can be the difference since thats what connects you to the road.

#21 ·
I have always considered foot pegs and floorboards as wear away products. They let me know when I am reaching the limit of travel. I hate getting hard parts or piprs down on the road. They tend to pick the rear up. that causes a whole different set of problems
My 09 flstc has 54,000+. On its third set of floorboards. It gets on the boards fairly quick.
My 2013 fltru has 25,000+ and still has the original floorboards. They still have a 1/16th to a 1/4th inch before the side is eaten away. Takes a lot more lean for it to get on the boards.

#22 ·
I ride a 2009 Dyna Super Glide. Compared to that bike a Heritage Softail has much less lean angle. The Heritage is not a bike that you want to slam into a corner.

For some riders that is a problem - I would never be able to get used to it. Other riders don't ride very aggressively and the reduced lean angle does not bother them.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.