Harley Davidson Forums banner

Softtail preload

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  OZman 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2016 slim that bottoms out pretty easily out back , especially 2-up. Am I able to adjust the preload on the rear shocks? Dealer told me no

#2 ·
I haven't had a chance to work on 2016s yet but if the Softail suspension hasn't changed the rear shocks have a preload and height adjustment. Look under the bike at the front of the shocks, if there's a big nut on the front shock rods it's adjustable.

#4 ·
Like Schmidty said, if they haven't changed the suspension, yes you can. And adjusting it once in awhile ain't a bad thing. I didn't touch mine for a few years on my old fat boy. The road grime and crap made it difficult to break the jam nut loose when I did want to adjust it before a long trip. PB Blaster is your friend if you can't break the jam nut loose.

And once you get them adjusted, tell your dealer he's a idiot for telling you you can't.

#5 ·
I figured the guy didn't know what he was talking about. Just the desk guy in the service department. Each department seems to have 1 guy that knows everything and they surround him with stupid people. Do I need the spanner wrench for this ? Thanks for the help

#7 ·
I figured the guy didn't know what he was talking about. Just the desk guy in the service department. Each department seems to have 1 guy that knows everything and they surround him with stupid people. Do I need the spanner wrench for this ? Thanks for the help
There is a special H-D spanner wrench but a standard adjustable spanner will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.