Harley Davidson Forums banner

Need help with my gas caps

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ciscokid 
#1 ·
The caps on my tanks are the pop up kind, and then won't pop up, or turn. Looks like they might be corroded shut. Any idea how I can get them loose without destroying my tanks?

#2 ·
Take a pic of the caps you're talking about.

Sometimes I wear leather gloves to give me more grip without mucking up the caps.

#4 ·
OK. Same as what I have, but mine are black.

That outer surround is held on with double stick tape. Should be easy enough to heat up with a hair dryer and lift off.

Then you'll be able to get at the right fuel cap, press down and turn CCW. It should then pop up a bit, then just keep turning CCW to remove.

Left side is just a push down and pop up type of deal.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

#12 ·
Is this the bike with a tree growing through it? You have your work cut out for you!
Yes. I cut the tree out of it this morning when I went to take pictures of the frame for another thread. I also found out the bungs at the bottom of the tank are rusted off.

This is going to suck.

#8 ·
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Decided to get off my lazy ass and finish the chopper that's been sitting in the yard rusting for 5 years. Going to be looking for a lot of technical advice, so any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

#11 ·
These are metal I believe, just not very high quality. I tried the hair dryer trick this morning, and leather gloves. Its the end of the month so I'm broke so I'll have to wait til payday to get some wd 40. And i got nowhere inside to put it, I don't have a garage. I got a waterproof motorcycle cover on the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.