Harley Davidson Forums banner

AArrrgghhhh.. Too Many Choices...

6K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  GreaseMonkey 
#1 ·
Decisions decisions.... I signed on to this forum this past Spring. My intent is to get a bike in the near future. I started off thinking the Sportster line, then went to the local dealership and fell in love with the Dyna Wide Glide... Then, on another trip fell in love with the softtail custom (2008/2009 year). Actually a Night Train drove me nuts.

Anyway, for now I'm back looking at new bikes. The freaking Breakout CVO is unbelievable, but WAY out of the price range. I like the lines of the Black Line and still hedge towards a Wide Glide, but the Softtail Deluxe is now driving me nuts. The red/white combo is awesome, and would look sweet in the garage with my '64 Corvette convertible which is red over white (like that really matters).

I haven't seen many posts specifically towards the Deluxe. I know Harleys are great bikes, but are there any pros/cons towards the Deluxe?

:think

#2 ·
Well make sure you buy the bike you want the first time. Otherwise you'll just be trading it in in a year. I know because that's what I did and it would explain all the newer Sportys on the dealer lot with 300 miles on them.

#5 ·
Find the bike that fits you best in stock form. But, (there's always a freakin but.) before you buy consider what you'll be doing with the bike and figure that in.

Take me for example, I have a Fat Bob and love it. However, I commute on it and do weekend trips, I probably should have bought at least a Heritage and probably a street or Road glide. Simply for the storage.

With the FXDF I have a sissy bar bag on the rack and one on the back seat for going to work, the wife and I pack light so weekend trips are OK, but we definitely don't have room to bring even a "been there" t-shirt home.

Sure makes a good excuse for a second bike though. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

#6 ·
Well, I plan on using it to commute back and forth to work, and need to lug a laptop along. Haven't completely figured that out other than saddle bags.

I want something sporty/mean looking (i.e. Wide Glide), but the Deluxe is more of a classic/refined look, and think it would do better on longer trips.

Wifey, not an issue. She's looking at a Sporty SuperLow. She has a bad knee and that bike seems to fit her the best. :nod

#7 ·
Rigid or rubber mounted. Deluxe is basically a heritage. The wideglide is very similar to the custom softail again, rigid to rubber. There all nice depends on what you like... don't buy just to buy, be sure your going to be happy with choice & no offense to anyone, but your doing the right thing looking past a sporty, you'll be happier with a bigger bike. Good luck...Now go buy something!!! :)

#8 ·
The problem with aftermarket saddle bags, or the Harley models, is cost. Last I looked, lockable bags for my bike, from Harley were $700 and barely provided enough space for the Crap I have to carry. Quality aftermarket seems no cheaper.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other, would just like to see a new owner that's still happy after a year or two on his chosen ride. Like I said I still love the Fat Bob and will probably keep it while adding a touring bike, either Harley or (duck) Victory (not a Vision) in the next few months.

#11 ·
I say go test ride everything that interests you, More than once, and really get a feel for each bike. The bike usually will pick you. I am partial to the Ultra line. Classic looks, highway couch, plenty of storage, great for long or short rides and with the new frame on the new touring bikes they are quite nimble in the twistys. Oh and Zelrick it will be one year I have my Ultra Limited in December and I wouldn't trade it for anything...

#19 ·
Do love my ultra as well. Tons of storage. Every morning I'd pack my brief case, lunch bag and gym bag and still have plenty of room for more. Heck, I've even gone to the grocery store and once went to Cosco and lugged an 18 pack of double roll TP that I strapped onto the tour pak. Wish I had a pic of that one. :)

#14 ·
Thanks for the insight Tailgunner, the reason I've been looking at the Cross bikes from Victory has nothing to do with liking them better or disliking the HD touring bikes. It's simply that I may have the opportunity to own a bike from both the prominent U. S. manufacturers of motorcycles.

Hell, I'd own another Ducati too if the maintenance wasn't so often and so expensive.

My only redeeming quality is that I have little use for new Asian street bikes.

#15 ·
Hey Zelrick I wasn't making any comment on what bike you are looking at. If your on 2 wheels its all good with me. Hope you didn't think I was bashing you for lookin at a Vic. I was just responding to your sayin "you would just like to see a new owner that's still happy after a year or two on his chosen ride." Thats Me :thumbsup:thumbsup love my Ultra.

#16 ·
I guess I'm a prime example of what others have been saying. After not having a bike for many years, I finally realized I was living in denial and bought a new '09 Sportster 1200. Loved it. And prior to the Sportster my biggest bike had been a Honda 750F many years ago. But...., it wasn't long before I "needed" a bigger bike and I bought a new 2011 Fat Bob. Loved it. But...., because I was wanting to do some traveling/touring I again needed a bigger bike. Just picked up my 2013 Road Glide Custom not quite 2 weeks ago. Love it. Should have gotten this bike a long time ago. Took me a while and a lot of $$ but I think I have finally gotten to where I want to be and intend to wear this one out.

So, if I had any words of wisdom to offer you to help you with your decision, just remember that whatever you get that is perfect for you now, things, and needs, have a way of changing. Whatever you get do your best to enjoy the heck out of it. And if your needs change over time you may have to go through the decision making process all over again.

Ain't it a lot of fun?

Louisville Joe

#18 ·
Tailgunner, glad you are still in love with your Ultra, they are sweet bikes, a local dealer has a yellow CVO (I think) that makes me drool every time I see it and the black denim Road glides give me a, well err..... Anyhow I admit it, I've had a life long addiction, but the addiction is to two wheels not a particular brand. I want at least one of each, Harley, Victory, Ducati, Triumph, Moto Guzzi and others...

I'll never own them all, but I can try. :D

To the OP there's now lots of good info here, besides me getting off topic, I hope you make the best decision for you. In truth you can't go wrong the entire line up is great.

#32 ·
I understand your addiction...I too suffer from the same. I really want that Victory Vision but I just don't know where it will fit in now that I have the CVO SG. I mean, the only one I'd get is the Ness Vision. So spending $2500 for the CVO Ultra Glide trunk set up is a far cry from spending $25000 for a Ness. Already got a sportbike so I am desperately trying to stop there. I just never seem to ride the thing now that I got the HD. I've been considering that Breakout also...I'm going to have to seek therapy for this addiction shortly. My pockets will be hurting before long at this rate.

V-Dub

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#22 ·
Prolly done been said 2 or 3 times..but get the Ultra or the King right of the gate...cause your prolly going to end up there anyway..cause you will wish you had got it a lot sooner..:nod

#24 ·
All good advice! I started with a Softail Std. I've added hard bags and an aftermarket bat wing. Plus speakers and a Mustang touring seat. I LOVE my bike! I don't regret anything because I've learned a lot along the way. I'll never get out what I've put in, but I can say this is MY bike.

#25 ·
Like I say having worked @ dealer...you hear alot of people say how they want a "smaller " bike to learn on.. well, FACT everyone who ever bought a small bike traded it in a month + later for a bigger bike & got handed on trade in..

#26 ·
My two cents is always on "vast majority of your riding habits and needs" For example, I commute in NYC every day, rain or shine. That means I need a lean, strong, agile bike that will withstand a bump or two and hold its own and get me into and out of a vast array of situations with ease. Be visible, but stay firm. Be fast, but be agile. Be heavy but not that heavy. Only Sportster fits that bill. No other bike can fit in between two cabs on the streets of NYC. On the other hand, on longer day trips, leisure rides, I resent not having a bigger bike, a more comfy, more roomy bike.

and THAT is my excuse to buy the second bike. but for the primary purpose, my bike fits my bill.

had I been living in VA, I would've gone with the V-Rod

had I been living in CA, I would've gone with the fat bob, an FXDF

it's all you, your needs, your wishes. but be aware that usually, no single bike fits the bill. find the need that weighs in the most, with the most utilization and fill that need. then you'll get the second bike later on :))

there. I have spoken!

#27 ·
I realy appreciate everyone's opinions. Bikes are like cars, two each his own. At this point in time I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the bike, other than commuting and day trips. But then again, my son is a freshamn at OU. I think it would be great to take a week+ and drive down through Tennessee to OK. I would be riding solo since wifey would have her own bike.....

#30 ·
Asking a Harley forum which Harley is best is like a bunch of guys telling you what position feels better when shaggin the old lady.

They all feel good but only you can make that decision after the ride is over.

#34 ·
Get the Deluxe !

I bought mine for solo and two-up riding. Placing the extra seat and sissy bar only takes a few minutes, travel bag secures on to the sissy bar. 90% on the time I'm solo riding on short rides, like to work and back.

Solo riding:

Two-up riding:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.