Harley Davidson Forums banner

Winter Storage

4K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  motohaid 
#1 ·
What do you do to prepare you're bike for the winter months? Mine probably will sit for at least 3 months. I leave a trickle charge on the battery but that's about it. I crank it up every few days. You??

#2 ·
Do not start it. Can\will cause internal condensation.
Put a Battery Tender on it if your trickle charger does not auto-float.
Fill your gas tank and add a good brand gas stabilizer. Run it for a minute or two to be sure the treated gas is through the whole fuel system
That is pretty much it.
Optional. Coat of wax or WD40 to help prevent rust. Put on a lift to prevent possible flat spotting of tires. Fog cylinders to prevent rust.
Cover with a proper cover.

#3 ·
Don't crank it up without riding for 20 miles as you wont burn off the water condensate in the oil. Running for less will just dispurse the water into the oil and start to gunk up your crankcase. You should add SeaFoam to the fuel (stabilizes and winterizes the upper end of the engine). Then keep your tank full (keeps out the moisture). The Seafoam will also emulsify any moisture and keep it from causing problems.

Also add it to the engine oil. see below.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/general-motorcycle-related/131993-water-condensate.html

I will ride on warmer days. I always top off the tank on my way home then add 1 oz per added gal of gas to keep the fuel stabilized. Battery Tender when just sitting in the garage.

#4 ·
Here is a problem I noticed ocassionally living in northern Ohio and now very commonly in Houston and Galveston. When it's been cold outside for a while the garage and contents drop down to the outdoor temp. When it warms quickly outside the warmer air is capable of carrying much more moisture. As the warm moist air seeps into the garage the moisture in the warm air quickly condenses on the garage floor and metal surfaces inside the garage including motorcycles sometimes lasting a long time. The end result is corrosion all over metal surfaces on the bike. The fix I have been using and as matter of fact it is ocuring right now is simply to run a space heater on a low setting in the garage. A few degrees can raise the garage internal temperature past dew point and condensation will not occur. I learned this one the hard way. Please be super careful if you use a space heater as they can be quite dangerous.
Good Luck

#6 ·
So, I stopped by one of the dealers by me and they have a winter storage special going on right now. It costs $100 to store it at the dealer and I'd get a spot in their climate controlled basement from mid-October to May 1. I'd also get:

- $100 credit to use on parts or accessories.
- free pick up or delivery
- fuel stabilizer added
- attached to a battery tender
- they said they start them up once-a-week & ride it in their basement to keep from forming flat spots
- when it's time for pick up I call a day in advance and they'll wash & wax her

I know deals that seem too good to be true tend to be, so what am I missing here?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
I live in Ohio and just put my bike up for the year as I want to start doing winter mods. I washed the bike real good, waxed, topped off the gas, and added stabilizer to it. I went and got a new rug for the bike to sit on along with carpet I put under the tires. I put a tray of cat litter under the bike, plug it in and covered it with a king size sheet. I might go and get a small fan as I had some issues last year with condensation. It was much better when I went to the sheets to cover it. I will pull the bike out once a month and roll it around to change positions on the tires.

#10 ·
I believe you are near Dallas, if so, why do you not ride all year? I know there are some days not suitable, but you should be able to ride quite often all winter. Hell the average lows in winter there are in the low-mid 30's! That's the low's, not the daytime averages. But if you are going to park it.

Add a fuel preserver to the tank, run until carburetor, or injection system is full of treated fuel, change the engine oil.
Make sure your "trickle charger" is a true tender, not just a cheap float charger. If you are going to start it and run it every few days, then ride it 15-20 miles to get the oil good and warm, so as to cook off any moisture formed by the combustion process.
If you can't ride it long enough to get the oil good and warm, then don't start it. Better to sit than to be full of moisture laden oil.

#12 · (Edited)
If your in Texas you don't have to worry about condensation build up in the oil. I would just put a battery tender on it and maybe get the wheels off the ground, a full tank of gas and some fuel stabilizer and you'll be just fine. But like bobf asked, why not ride all year long? I do and I live in New York.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.