Harley Davidson Forums banner

How to remove the primary cover off your Sportster

103K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Grumpy old man 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a how to on how to take off the primary cover.

This allows you to replace the clutch (not shown in the tutorial), the primary gasket, the shift shaft seal, the clutch cable, the clutch cable seal, the primary chain tensioner and really anything that is under the primary cover. I did not need to service the clutch in any way so unfortunately you will not see that apart in this tutorial. That being said, I have helped take one off so if you PM me I may be able to assist. I'm not the best resource on that though I would reccommend you post to the forum, use the search function, or PM a smarter member for that info.

#2 · (Edited)
Tools you will need:
Inch Pound Torque wrench
3/8in drive ratchet
Hex head sockets in the pictured sizes (not allen wrenches)
Torx sockets as pictured
Auto part Tool accessory Hardware accessory Tool

1. Mid controls: Remove the shifter arm bolt as pictured taking the allen screw all the way out then pulling the lever off. You may want to mark the location it was on so that you can match it up on re installation but if you slide it on and sit on the bike you will know right away if it is a tooth off or not. Just personal preference on where you place it.
Auto part Fuel line Clutch Wheel Brake

2. Forward controls: Remove the shift linkage in basically the same fashion as above.
Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line Automotive exterior

3. The whole reason I am doing this is because of that massive leak!
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

4. Take one or both of the footpeg bolts out if you have mid pegs. Disregard this if you have forward controls.
Auto part Plumbing Plumbing fixture Wheel Metal

5. Remove the primary inspection cover with the two screws. Be careful not to loose any of the three oil seals. One for each bolt and a big one on the back of the cover.
Light Automotive lighting Auto part Headlamp Metal

6. Take all of the derby cover bolts off. Yea…mine is so scratched up from my boots, salt, dirt, snow, rain…you name it.
Auto part Clutch Rotor Automotive wheel system Wheel

7-8. Take the clutch adjustment spring out
Auto part Clutch Wheel Engine Automotive wheel system

Auto part Vehicle Engine Motor vehicle Automotive engine part

9. Look along the frame rail above the oil filter for the clutch cable adjuster
Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Action figure

#30 ·
my primary cover is stuck as I cannot remove the shifter arm bolt. I have taken out the bolt but the arm will not come loose.
Any suggestions?

Tools you will need:
Inch Pound Torque wrench
3/8in drive ratchet
Hex head sockets in the pictured sizes (not allen wrenches)
Torx sockets as pictured
View attachment 170833

1. Mid controls: Remove the shifter arm bolt as pictured taking the allen screw all the way out then pulling the lever off. You may want to mark the location it was on so that you can match it up on re installation but if you slide it on and sit on the bike you will know right away if it is a tooth off or not. Just personal preference on where you place it.
View attachment 170753

2. Forward controls: Remove the shift linkage in basically the same fashion as above.
View attachment 170761
3. The whole reason I am doing this is because of that massive leak!
View attachment 170769
4. Take one or both of the footpeg bolts out if you have mid pegs. Disregard this if you have forward controls.
View attachment 170777

5. Remove the primary inspection cover with the two screws. Be careful not to loose any of the three oil seals. One for each bolt and a big one on the back of the cover.
View attachment 170785

6. Take all of the derby cover bolts off. Yea…mine is so scratched up from my boots, salt, dirt, snow, rain…you name it.
View attachment 170793

7-8. Take the clutch adjustment spring out
View attachment 170801
View attachment 170809

9. Look along the frame rail above the oil filter for the clutch cable adjuster
View attachment 170817

#3 ·
10. Slide the rubber off the adjustment shaft off… (let me save Chief Illiniwek some work “Xl1200R said rubber and shaft ahahahah”) anyways… then “tighten” the cable. I put that in quotes because we are really loosening the cable but the treads will disappear when it loosens making it look like you tightened it. Just turn the damn thing clockwise for god sakes!
Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Action figure

11. Now screw in the little flathead screw on the clutch ball and ramp assembly. Screwing it in(clockwise) will again actually loosen it up.
Audio equipment Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim

12. Pull it out
Auto part Wheel Crankset Automotive wheel system Disc brake

13. Turn the ball and ramp assembly (under my thumb) 90 degrees from where it is in the picture to free it from the clutch cable.
Auto part

14. Start unscrewing the primary cover. It will stick to the engine case don’t free it yet. NOTE: there are two little alignment stud things. They are barrel shaped and are guide sleeves for when you put the new gasket on DON’T LOOSE THEM
Auto part

15. Under the clutch lever there is a little C-clip that holds the clutch on its pivot point. Take it out and slide the pin up and out freeing the clutch lever from the assembly.
Gun Trigger Auto part Revolver Finger

Metal Auto part Steel

16. Break the case free. To do this I used a rubber mallet. Don’t hit it with anything other than your hands or rubber mallet or you will just break stuff. Also, just tap on it you don’t need to kill it. It’s only head on at this point by the gasket being stuck to the engine case and the cover.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Metal

17. Where I am pointing is where one of the little sleeve things I was talking about goes. It is a noticeably larger hole than the bolt holes so it isn’t too hard to tell.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

Reassemble in reverse. The torque spec for the Primary cover is 100-120 inch pounds. Follow that pattern when tightening the bolts.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

Once you take it all off it is pretty easy to see how stuff goes back on. Be careful lining up the gasket with the primary cover. It isn’t too hard. I would replace the shift shaft seal and the clutch cable seal no matter what because they are cheap but take all tat work to get to!! Lastly, you can technically use a pick and get the shift shaft seal out. There is nothing holding it in from the inside. Problem is, I don’t think you will get the new one installed correctly so you will not ever help the problem. Could be worth a try though.

#6 ·
Great post XL1200.. I don't know if you want to add this or not, but on the shifter, removing the bolt completely is necessary.. it will keep you from trying to slide off the shifter with a pry bar and scratching the beejeezus out of your cover.... don't ask....

#13 · (Edited)
It's ironic this thread is a sticky as I signed up to the forums specifically to get some mechanical advice involving this area.

I recently removed my primary cover to replace the gasket and clutch cable seal. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but my limits do know bounds indeed. After a bunch of cussing and a little stripping of bolt heads :mad I got everything put back together only to discover that the bike wouldn't go into gear. It is harder to roll when shifted into gear, but it definitely isn't fully engaging. I re-drained the fluid and pulled everything apart only to see no obvious problem. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm even simpler. Any advice?

Thanks,
Max

#15 ·
Sounds to me like the clutch is out of adjustment.

When you adjust it make sure you fully loosen the cable end and then follow the directions carefully.

I'm a little confused as to exactly what's happening. So when you put it into gear with the bike off and clutch engaged you can still roll it but it is harder than when it is in neutral correct?

So saying the clutch isn't fully engaging?

#14 ·
here you go

Remove the left side footpeg. See the Footpeg topic for more information.

Removal

Set an appropriate oil drain pan under the transmission oil drain plug at the rear of the primary cover. Remove the transmission oil drain plug with a 5/8 in socket to drain it.

The transmission oil drain plug is magnetic. Inspect the magnet for any metal pick up. Clean off the drain plug and discard its old O-ring.

Remove the shift lever bolt with a 1/4 in. Allen.

Remove the shift lever and rubber washer.

Wipe down the area around the clutch inspection cover to prevent debris from getting inside the primary cover.

Slide the rubber boot down the clutch cable. Turn the clutch cable adjuster with a 1/2 inch wrench. Hold the adjuster in place and loosen the locknut against it with a 9/16 inch wrench. Loosen the clutch cable until there is plenty of slack.

Remove the six clutch inspection cover screws with a T-27 torx socket.

Loosen the primary drive chain adjuster locknut with 7/8 in wrench.

Take off the clutch inspection cover. Do not disturb the seal ring on the primary cover unless it needs replacement.

Remove the spring and lock plate from the clutch adjuster.

Remove the clutch cable.

Turn the adjusting screw clockwise, with a flat blade screwdriver, to remove the ramp assembly.

Note: The ramp assembly is held together with a retaining ring. It is comprised of an inner and outer ramp, and three ball bearings. It has a coupling to hold the clutch cable and a nut to secure it to the adjusting screw.

Remove the clutch cable fitting and O-ring from the case with a wrench. Discard the O-ring.

Loosen the sixteen case cover screws and washers in a criss-cross pattern with a 3/16 in. Allen and remove them. Note the position of the screws for assembly.

Remove the primary cover. Use a rubber mallet to gently tap the cover off if needed.

Inspect the shift shaft oil seal for wear and damage.

Remove the gasket and discard.

Remove the two dowel pins from both ends of the case.

Primary Chain Adjuster

Remove the primary chain adjuster locknut under the case with a 7/8 in. wrench. Hold the adjuster screw with a 1/4 in. Allen if necessary.

Remove the primary chain adjuster assembly by unthreading the adjuster screw.

Slide the shoe off and inspect it for excessive wear or damage. Replace the shoe if needed.

To remove the primary drive and clutch see the Primary Drive and Clutch topic for more information.

Installation
Primary Chain Adjuster

Slide the open end of the shoe onto the primary chain adjuster slot.

Install the primary chain adjuster screw into the case with the open end of the assembly facing out. Thread the screw all the way into the case. The primary chain may need to be lifted out of the way to insert the adjuster in place.

Install the locknut onto the adjuster screw. Hold the adjuster screw with a 1/4 in. Allen and screw on the nut with a with a 7/8 in. wrench. Do not tighten.

Primary Case Cover

Clean the mating surfaces and remove any gasket residue.

Install the two dowel pins into both ends of the case.

Install a new primary case gasket.

Install a new shifter shaft oil seal into the case cover if needed.

Install the primary case cover.

Primary cover tightening sequence.

Install the sixteen case cover screws and washers in sequence with a 3/16 in. Allen and tighten to specification.

(Primary Case Cover Screw Torque: 100 - 120 in-lbs or 11.3 - 13.5 N-m)

Install the clutch cable and a new O-ring into the primary case with a wrench. The cable end should be visible inside the case. Tighten the clutch fitting to specification.

(Clutch Cable Fitting Torque: 30 - 60 in-lbs or 4.1 - 6.8 N-m)

Insert a new O-ring on the transmission drain plug. Install and tighten the plug to specification with a 5/8 in socket.

(Transmission Oil Drain Plug Torque: 14 - 30 lb-ft or 19.0 - 40.7 N-m)

Fill the transmission with Harley-Davidson Sport Trans Fluid. See the Transmission Oil topic for more information

The retaining ring side of the ramp assembly should face inward and the coupling should point forward. Align the upper tab on the ramp assembly with the case cover slot. Install the ramp assembly with the nut.

Thread the nut onto the adjusting screw. Tighten the adjusting screw counterclockwise until resistance is met, then back off the screw a 1/4 of a turn.

Install the spring and lock plate onto the ramp.

Install the clutch cable end onto the ramp coupling.

Install the clutch inspection cover. Do not disturb the seal ring on the primary cover unless it was removed, then install a new one.

Install the six clutch inspection cover screws with a T-27 torx socket and tighten to specification. Tighten the screws a little bit at a time in a crisscross pattern.

(Clutch Inspection Cover Screw Torque: 84 - 108 in-lbs or 9.5 - 12.2 N-m)

Install the shift lever and rubber washer.

Install the shift lever bolt with a 1/4 in. Allen and tighten to specification.

Adjust the clutch cable. See the Clutch Cable Adjustment topic for more information.

Adjust the primary drive chain. See the Primary Drive Chain topic for more information.

Install the battery cable onto the crankcase. See the Battery Cable Removal for more information.

Install the left side footpeg. See the Footpeg topic for more information.

#20 ·
No problem. Glad you've figured it out.

For what it's worth when my clutch spring plate started to go it got very hard to adjust. the clutch did not want to fully disengage..which is the opposite of your problem but u figured I'd throw it out there.

#33 ·
This is a how to on how to take off the primary cover.

This allows you to replace the clutch (not shown in the tutorial), the primary gasket, the shift shaft seal, the clutch cable, the clutch cable seal, the primary chain tensioner and really anything that is under ti lean on the throttle he primary cover. I did not need to service the clutch in any way so unfortunately you will not see that apart in this tutorial. That being said, I have helped take one off so if you PM me I may be able to assist. I'm not the best resource on that though I would reccommend you post to the forum, use the search function, or PM a smarter member for that info.
I have what could be a shifter pawl problem as my bike DID get stuck between two gears once and since then when I lean on the throttle a bit (2500-3500 rpms) I get a clacking as if the bottom end is coming apart, yet nothing when clutch is pulled in or if bike is in neutral. so I will need to pull primary cover off. and clutch & drive hub off on my 1992 883

#35 ·
I have a 1992 Sportster 883 5 speed. and I have heard a clacking sound when leaning on the throttle in gear going dwn the road (2500-3500 rpms) and it sounded like the bottom end was coming apart! But nothing when the clutch is pulled in or when in neutral & have been told it's possibly a 'shifter pawl' problem so I will need to pull the primary cover off. Then clutch & drive hub. Any help would be appreciated. NOTE: my bike DID get stuck between gears once.

#36 ·
OK, I'll follow you with this .. I've done some hundred or so Sporty 4spd fixes and adjustments. More than I care to remember now. But OK I'll follow along.
If you need parts manual reference go to Ronnie's H-D site and search your model bike to reference part numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.