Harley Davidson Forums banner

Sportster a Starter Bike?

22K views 139 replies 57 participants last post by  LilJo 
#1 ·
I hate when people say that if you buy a Sportster you're buying a starter bike, or an entry level Harley. Most, I think, say this because of it's engine size and the price. Well if I buy a Chevy Cruze instead of a Suburban am I buying a starter car? it's got a smaller engine and it cost less so it must be a starter car? I don't think so. I think you buy what you like for what you need it to do and at the price you want to pay. Why would I buy a Road King when all I do is local riding? Why would I buy a Suburban when a Cruze will do what I need it to for a lot less money and get a lot better MPG. Unless I planned on going cross country I don't need a big Harley just to say I have a big Harley.... just my 2 cents.

#102 · (Edited)
I liked Caddys and Lincolns till I bought a BMW.
If you watch my avatar long enough even you may get the message as to what everyone here thinks of your opinions.

Apparently you have never tangled with a junkyard dog. Junkyard dog? I like that, thanks.

Hey Junior cut and past some pics off the internet. Maybe someone will believe they are of your bike.

#105 ·
Must have struck a nerve when I questioned if you even own a bike by simply stating you should post some pics of you superior bike.

Let's not start comparing bank accounts. That's just proving how inadequate you really feel.:notworthy
ok really I am impressed at how great and powerful you are. Now you can crawl back under the rock you came from before you found this site.

#107 ·
I haven't read all 11 pages of this but I'll opine on the OP's question.

I'm a new rider who started out just over a year ago on a 2014 Breakout. Last fall, while tire kicking at an ATV / Motorcycle Motorshow, speculating on a new bike for the Mrs, I sat on both a Sportster and a 2013 Superglide to guage the relative "feel" of the different models. The low COG Superglide "felt" lighter than the Sportsters. Meanwhile, I'm still alive and my 2014 Breakout is undamaged.

I doubt the Sportster is part of a HD "Rider Development" series but rather just a different model catering to a different rider profile. IMHO the bike you spend your hard earned money on should be the bike you want, and the bike you want probably won't be the bike you dread riding because of manageability issues. Having selected a bike, learning can be a gradual process of testing the bike's characteristics in a manner consistent with your growing ability to maintain control on safe riding routes and at traffic times you carefully select at first. Discipline is key as there is always the temptation to "keep up" or thrill seek by exceeding your abilities. Thats the hard part.

"Oh, I almost fogot, take a course".

#112 ·
The Administrator for the Victory Forum has requested and hopes that they would take it into account, that members please not troll another forum. Everyone entitled to their own opinion and they can ride what ever they like.

Appears they have been put on notice. Only time will tell.

#115 ·
funny man not.
You do`t want shots taken at you then you really need to rethink your wording at times.
So I took the wife's bike out for a couple hours yesterday. I was pretty shocked, I don't understand how soo many of these bikes sell (other than the cheap price). It feels very rickety, unsure, and generally underpowered from what I would expect of a 1200. This beast will be vacating my shop soon as I find her a replacement.
As a member over on the Vic site am surprised you have`t taken part in the thread there.
Or did the Admin :spank: already?

#117 ·
Yes I have both brands of bikes. Yes I think her bike has a cool look to it. But I am completely entitled to my opinion of it, I spent some time on her bike and gave my opinion of it beyond looks. Beautiful thing about this country is free speech.
Not biting on your flaming, good luck though.

I will take the advice of some of the others here and ignore the flaming and not feed the troll.

:unsubscribed
Your so easy.

#119 ·
My wife bought a 2013 XL1200C as a girl's starter bike, and to be honest, I'd be more likely to hurt myself on that than on a big-ol' Touring bike.

#123 ·
This started out as a "love, peace and tranquility" thread, and somewhere along the line it became "hate, maim and kill". I have had my 2014 XL1200C called a "baby Harley" and "girls bike". I started riding in 1968, and now that I am getting older, I have found the Sportster to be a great bike for me. Plenty of power, comfortable enough and soon to be paid for. Sportster's can be beginner bikes or old timer bikes. My wife and I enjoy our Sportsters and we put 1000 miles a month on them.
Wachuko, it looks like your wife is enjoying her Sportster and that is great!

#126 ·
I bought a 2014 Iron just over a year ago. In fact my permit was about to expire today so I had to take the dmv skills test. Granted I used a honda rebel for the test , it has been a great first bike. I haven't had any problems to date. I actually began riding with an MC early on and that probably helped speed up the learning curve. Funny thing at all the club events with many awesome bikes , my sporty always gets checked out. My blacked out iron is pretty cool. I have no problem keeping up on club rides. However I am ready to move up now.

#129 ·
Took my dmv test on my sporty.....kinda think the nice lady pencil whipped me in or was half blind.
Lined up put my foot down and ran over the last two cones in the chicane.
She started with "don't start your bike yet, show me how you know your in neutral" I rocked the bike back and forth. Made some extra points there, she said almost everyone turns the key and shows her some kind of light.

#130 ·
Starter bike? I have been riding for 60 years & this is the biggest bike I have ever had.
Started with a Whizzer motorbike, then a R-25 BMW (Took it through the Swiss Alps to Zurich). Biggest bike I have had before this was a Yamaha 750 Virago. I still have a 2005 Yamaha Majesty with over 86,000 miles on it. I expect this 2015 883L will likely be my ending bike.

#131 ·
I went on a Toys For Tots bike run yesterday with about 250 other bikes. I'd say by the looks of things 99% of the bikes were Harley, I did see one Yamaha V Star 950, a Victory, and one sport bike. As far as the Harley's go, 99% of those were the big touring type. I saw a few Sporty's, including mine. I guess a lot of guys like those big bikes.

#133 · (Edited)
I agree 100% Jumptoc. I get tons of compliments on my Sportster. The big cruisers are nice but to me they all look a like. The Sportster is a great looking bike. The 48 & 72, in my opinion, can't be beat for that classic look. Don't get me wrong the Road King, Street Glide and Ultra's are gorgeous, but for around town the Sporty is the bike for me. My Superlow 1200T is the best of both worlds for me since it comes with quick detach bags and windshield.

Attachments

#136 ·
Blowing my own horn here, but the sportster was and is a classic bike. It is not designed to be a girls first bike. While smaller than a 103, it is just too much power. I suppose it could be someone's first bike, but if they've never ridden before, they are in jeopardy. This was my 4th bike and should have skipped #3.

This was done 40 years ago with available after market parts when there wasn't as much too choose from as there is today.

HTML:
 No 1.jpg
Rode it for 11 years with absolutely no mechanical problems. I sold it when I started feeling like I was living on borrowed time.

33 years later I got my Heritage which seems to have the same zip that my sportster did. I'm told the 1200 will out run the softail of today. But who needs to be splat at the back of a semi like Wylie Cyottee?

Attachments

#139 ·
I'm told the 1200 will out run the softail of today. But who needs to be splat at the back of a semi like Wylie Cyottee?
Yup, it will. My wife has a Sportster 1200. It's not her first bike but her favorite. She can beat me from the line anytime she wants. It's a quick little thing and I even like riding it around town (when she lets me). On longer rides or on the highway my softail just finds the groove and I fly. I Like having that 6th gear on the highway also. My engine's almost idling at 70. I just can't get into the dressed road bikes. They are nice but not my style.

#137 ·
If a fair share of my riding involve 200+ mile trips I would take a serious look at touring bikes. But for the type of short local riding I do it's just not worth the added expense, size and weight. The Sportser has all I need in a bike.

As for starter bike, I think that sentiment is one that comes after the fact, when someone ultimately gains some experience on a bike and regrets having to shell out more money to upgrade forgeting that that experience comes at a price.

#140 ·
I tell people all the time, "Yep, a Sportster is a great Starter Bike. You might as well get it right the first time."

I ride my 21-year old Sportster now a LOT more than I ride my 2013 Dyna Fat Bob. It is MUCH faster, handles off the charts better, and I just love hooligan style rippin' around my home county where I know almost all the police. It's just all-around a LOT more fun than the Dyna. Where the Dyna is smooth and predictable in comparison, the Sporty just continues to amaze me after all these years. Yeah, it's a rough ride in comparison, but it is just a blast to ride. May not be the fastest thing around, but a Stage 1 103" bike ain't got a chance. Zero. Period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.