Harley Davidson Forums banner

Sportster a Starter Bike?

22K views 139 replies 57 participants last post by  LilJo 
#1 ·
I hate when people say that if you buy a Sportster you're buying a starter bike, or an entry level Harley. Most, I think, say this because of it's engine size and the price. Well if I buy a Chevy Cruze instead of a Suburban am I buying a starter car? it's got a smaller engine and it cost less so it must be a starter car? I don't think so. I think you buy what you like for what you need it to do and at the price you want to pay. Why would I buy a Road King when all I do is local riding? Why would I buy a Suburban when a Cruze will do what I need it to for a lot less money and get a lot better MPG. Unless I planned on going cross country I don't need a big Harley just to say I have a big Harley.... just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
My 2 cents is that a Sportster is too big and heavy (and powerful) for a starter bike. Better to learn the basics on a small, used dual-purpose bike on some trails. The learning accidents there will be less serious and less costly.

#4 ·
People buy what they buy for a multitude of different reasons.
Those that buy only for a status symbol or because of what others say really need to get a grip.

Was a time the Honda 750/4 was the fastest bike on the street. But the 883 is a higher displacement.
The 1200 was HD`s Big Twin. Now has 4 cams and in a fashion continues on in the Sportster.

Harleys new Street models, 500 & 750 are probably the closest the MOCO has ever come to a "starter" bike.
But I do`t think that is the intent for the model either.

As more larger CI`s continue to be manufactured the smaller ones will become looked at as beginners bikes. It`s just lack of knowledge, of the history, just plain ignorance, ?????.

#5 ·
IMO... Not that it counts for anything.... The Sportster is not a "starter" or "beginner" bike. It is just a different style of bike to accommodate different peoples style and choices. I was in a toss up between the 48 and the Fat Bob and in the end i personally went with the dyna. It comes down to what do you want out of a bike, what is your style, and how much can you afford or are willing to spend.

#6 ·
Honda Rebel can be considered a starter bike... not a Sportster...

I have not taken the new Street bikes from HD for a test ride. Not sure how those ride...

But then again... my brother starter bike was a Suzuki M109R... crazy sob...

#7 ·
A "starter" bike should be easy to ride, have a low center of gravity, be light enough to be picked up by oneself. Have only enough power to stay out of trouble, but not enough to create trouble. A Sportster is top heavy, just plain heavy, and has a bunch of power. I love my Sportster, but am glad that 55 years ago, when I was learning to ride I had a nice light 175cc Allstate/ Puch for a "starter". By the way, my brother still has that 175cc, and it still runs!

#10 ·
Sportster a starter bike...hugh?

My bike wheelies when shifting into second gear on full acceleration, can lean over to a point where I can almost scrape a knee, has enough ground clearance to ride in my woods, outruns all but the fastest bike and cars on the street light to light....starter bike I think not.

I've always said the sound of a straight piped 74ci shovelhead is the best harley sound IMO and a 1200 sportster is a close second.

#17 ·
I've got a Sporty and RK their both fun to ride.
The sporty is good around town and shorter trips. I get more compliments about it.
The king is much better for traveling and camping. Carries more gear and is more comfortable.

Attachments

#27 ·
When I went to by my first motorcycle way back in 1973 the salesman at the Honda dealer & several of my cycle friends all said the same thing . Don't waste your money on the little CB-550 Honda 4-cylinder bike . Even though its a little smaller & easier for a novice to handle plus less expensive , Buy the big CB-750 or in a month or two you'll be right back up here trading up for the big fast one . They were exactly right .
Having said that my first Harley was a 1984 used Sportster XLX with less than a hundred miles on it . Sorta tippy-toed into Harleys . Loved it but first trip into the mountains of Tallimena it was obvious I'd out grown it . Fortunately my brother in-law just had to have it . Like I always said , buy the biggest bike you can afford to start with . 9 times outa 10 you'll be glad you did !

#28 ·
The first sentence sounds like a big ole whine.

I'm glad your happy with your sportster I really am. I hate to see people disappointed in what they have.

But this "question" you asked could've been answered with a search for the 15000 other "why are Sportster's starter bikes" threads.

#33 ·
Every body knows that sportsters are not beginner bikes. They are girls bikes.

OK - before everybody starts throwing rocks at me, I am kidding.

Everybody knows that they are for short girls.

Sorry- could not resist. Never had a sportster but would love one to ride around town instead of the big EGC.

#36 ·
I started riding when I has 4 years old some friends had a Mini bike. When my parents told me if I could start it I could try to ride it. I went from that to Honda 50's and 70's. The first bike I bought for myself was a Honda 305 Superhawk. I was 9 years old had to put 1 foot on the left foot peg get going then swing my other leg over. I have had a bunch of other bikes over years {give or take 51 of them}. I Don't see how anyone can say that a 1200 sportster is a starter bike. Shure some people buy sportster for there first Harley then get a bigger one. In My experience most people that because they think they need to get something bigger. In my case I bought a 08 1200 c I was riding about 10 miles a day to work and back plus a trip to town once or twice a week (about 80 miles a week). After we moved I started to put around 500 to 600 miles a week on it. After about 6 months I could tell that it was starting to adversely affect the bike. So I went and traded it for a super glide c. I was not happy about trading in the 1200 so I went and bought it back. So don't let anybody tell you sportsters are starter bikes because they are not They are full size bad to the bone bikes that have there uses. I'll get off my soap box now. V

#37 ·
Anything can really be a starter bike. I really think the only thing I would call a starter bike personally would be like a rebel 250, however I know a couple advanced riders who have those cuz they are like 90 lbs and only go 5 miles a day. I think a shadow is a better starter bike smoother ride but less torque and less pickup. That's my 2 cents. Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#40 ·
Well, it is my starter HD bike!

TBH, when I bought my XL1200C I sort of felt like I was getting a lesser bike, but couldn't afford one of the big twins. I was moving up from a 750 Shadow and I wanted a Harley. What can I say.

Now that I have put over 4,000 miles on it since June I love it. It can hold its own on group rides with the big twins, always gets a compliment (never a dis) and now it sounds more like a Harley since I just installed a set of Cobra slip-ons.

To answer the question, no, it is not a starter bike. It would have been a mistake (for me) to have purchased a Sporty as a first bike. YMMV.

#42 ·
I have a bagger and a Heritage. I was at the '15 release at my local dealership and saw the new 750. My first thought was "hey, that looks like it would be fun to ride". If it's fun, ride it. girl's scoot my a$$. here's a pic:

Attachments

#45 ·
I learned to ride on a 650 Triumph. My first bike in 1968 was a bored and stroked 1966 Triumph Bonneville. Talk about flying without wings!! My first Harley came along in early '69 (I think). It was a former cop bike. It was a 1955 Panhead.
My wife and I both have new Sportsters and a 2004 xl883c for a spare as needed. I don't consider the Sportster a beginner bike, but with a little practice on a smaller bike a person should be able to ride a Sporty. At least the 883 models. You can get lower built Sportsters with no problem these days.

#47 ·
Funny I had a Honda VTX 1300 and it wasn't a starter bike. I also had a Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec. That would do over 100mph. Then I got rid of both and bought my 2012 XL1200 Custom. It has better pick up and go than the VTX and sounds better than both and more fun to ride than the Scoot. No, it is not a beginners bike. I have also owned Gold Wings of 4 different engine sizes. I started out 50 years ago on a Honda 90. Yep that is a beginners bike. Maybe even the Honda 160 and 350 back in the 1960s and 70s. But my BMW 800 and Honda 650 and later bikes were not beginners.

#48 ·
I plan to install a hitch and ride mine around the entire USA pulling a small trailer. Since owning it for the past two years, I'm confident, this bike will hold up with little preventive maintenance and loving care. I love its quickness. I love it torque. And it fits me like a warm sock in a comfortable boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.