Harley Davidson Forums banner

DivaGal Needs Help

7K views 65 replies 41 participants last post by  webco2 
#1 ·
Hi there! I'm struggling. I'm brand new to the wonderful world of motorcycles. I'm a rather small gal - 100 pounds. I did take the MSF coiurse, but am having a rough time with my Sportster XL 883 as she is so heavy when I'm starting out from a stop in a tight turn. I found myself laying under her in the road on a curve at a stop sign and am a mess. I'm riding again with MSF this week, but don't know what the problem is???? I'm frustrated as hell. I can con weave and have no problems on their bikes!!!!! Passed no problem. Is it the weight? She feels "top-heavy" but I figured this was the best place to come for real people who ride this particular awesome bike. We all start SOMEWHERE. I opened her up and got her into fourth gear and felt a freedom I've NEVER KNOWN. It's the stops - pulling out with control and TURNING that are kicking my ass. I'm sick of hearing I CAN'T. I AM NOT GOING TO QUIT. So, since I'm committed, would love and appreciate some help from anyone who remembers LEARNING, WON'T PUT ME DOWN AS A "NEWBIE" AND IS WILLING TO HELP. I don't want to get scared of her. Going down at that sign on that curve scared me. The car stopped thank GOD, but I could NOT get her up by myself.......

Again, thanks for any support.

#3 ·
Sight unseen, the only advice I can offer is keep trying. Going back to MSF is a good idea, and your instructor may be able to give you some pointers on how to work out your problem with the starts. I'm working on an assumption that you are vertically challenged (eyes too close to the ground) so that will present problems to be worked out. It may well be that you will need to seek a bike that allows you to sit closer to the ground. I am not familiar enough with riding characteristics of your Sporty to be of much help, but again offer what encouragement I can to not give up. You will get the hang of this with enough help and practice.

#4 ·
Sounds like your learning like the rest of us did,I learned in the dirt tho.Its all about balance and clutch control,don't be afraid to slip the clutch on those slow tight corners with a little higher RPM. Ya might wanna ride to a empty parking lot somewhere and practice those slow tight turns,and don't get discouraged you will be fine.

#6 ·
We call it "break torqueing". Keep the RPMs up, slip the clutch and feather the rear break. Takes practice, as MVious said.

Ronnie

#5 ·
Sportys do feel a big more top heavy, but as long as you keep it on its center of gravity, its no heavier then a big bike. I suspect you've picked up one of my bad habits... too much front brake at slow speed, in turns. First time I dropped my King thats exactly what I did, in a turn at a stop sign.

#8 ·
Thank you so much. You are right about the ground thing. That's where I WAS looking when I went down. I wasn't looking ahead and where I wanted to go....straight down and that's exactly where I went..... I never thought about that until now. They told us to look where we wanted to go. So, if I look at the ground I'm going to go there? Makes sense. Is the sporty a top heavy bike? Thanks so much for bringing this up. It makes SO MUCH SENSE TO ME NOW....."CLICK!"

#9 ·
Thanks. I'm lucky that there are only four riders this week. I talked to our Associate Director for MSF for our region. He's a really great guy. He's been cheering me on cause I'm a "peanut" with a lot of "gusto" I will focus on these issues and take the advice about the parking lot, too. The car coming around that curve was SOMETHING ELSE! It's not like your not feeling some type of way about your bike laying on ya anyway. Worried, shaking too much to know what happened in that moment.....then throw in the car. Yeah, messed up. I'll find a parking lot and practice the turns.

#10 ·
Hi Divagal -- And welcome to the forum from Baton Rouge!

Don't be discouraged. I admire your spunk! A Harley of any kind can be a handful for a smaller person. Probably why they developed the Street series. But the 883 is a very cool 'real' Harley and I agree with your feelings about it. They do have a reputation for being a bit high-centered, but you'll be able to ride it with the proper techniques and more experience.

Check youtube for the proper way to pick it up. You can do it! But you have to turn your back to the bike and use your legs. You'll understand it better in the videos. And it woul be a good idea to practice it in your yard wwhere you can lay it down without damaging it.

You're probably having more trouble turning right at the stop sign. That's because it's a much tighter radius turn than a left turn. So you need to "stretch" the turn radius. Move to the left side of your lane as you're approaching the stop and angle your bike slightly into the right turn as you come to the full stop. I don't mean just turn the front wheel. I mean get the whole bike oriented slightly into the turn before you come to a complete stop. Then when you take off you can get a little more forward momentum into the turn as you take off. Aim for the outside of your lane as you get through and complete the turn. Diagram it out on paper if you don't quite understand the concept. Momentum is the key. It helps stabiliize the bike. Your takeoff needs to be decisive.

By the way. EVERYBODY struggles with this as new rider. I'm a big man, and I went through exactly the same thing when I started. You'll get it!

--

#25 ·
That's good technique SilverBack
:thumbsup

#13 ·
Welcome from Hilo, Hawaii. As was said earlier it takes practice. Its great that you are going back to MSF. You know the problem you're having so have the instructor work with you on that. You need to build up your self confidence. I don't know how many can say they never have dropped a bike, I did when I was initially learning. There was no such thing as rider education courses back then. Get back on the bike and don't give up.

#14 ·
As previously said, look ahead. When making a turn from a stop, turn your head and pick a spot a good distance away from you. Always look well ahead of you. If you look at a hole in the road, you hit it.
Good luck,and be patient with yourself.
When you get a chance, go to Youtube and watch some videos "how to pick up a motorcycle". It's more technique than brute strength.

#15 ·
Found a great Harley Video for Women on lifting downed bikes! THANK YOU! I never dreamed a possibility. It's all in the legs and butt - thanks - this makes it much easier for me to ride now without having to call my neighbor for backup and yelling for help to get out of the road. I sure can't wait to get this turning down so I can start REALLY RIDING! There truly isn't anything like it, is there.

#19 ·
Practice, practice, look where you want to go, not at stationary objects. May want invest in some crash bars. Helps to pick up bike and may help from damaging you and the bike if you tip over again. Ride safe.

#20 ·
I haven't seen anyone suggest this as of yet, but find a nice vacant parking lot and then practice riding figure 8's and keep tighten it up as you get more and more comfortable with using your clutch and looking thru your turns. Oh and as mentioned previously, definitely get a set of highway bars on that bike, as it will save your engine case and your leg if you lay it down.

#22 ·
You should have started on a Honda Rebel or a Yamaha V Star 250. They are both good looking bikes, light weight, not overpowering, and easy to ride. A lot of people think a Sportster is a starter bike but it is most definitely not, whether it's an 883 or a 1200 it's not a beginners bike. Since you already own one just continue to ride in parking lots until you feel comfortable enough to get on the road and please be safe.

#24 ·
Gusa is absolutely correct, but it doesn't mean you cant eventually master the bike.
I would not advise anyone who has never ridden to start with a sportster it's super powerful, but it can be tamed. It was the original crotch rocket and could out run and maneuver the full sized Harleys of the 50's 60's and 70's. (stock vs stock) JUST BE CAREFULL OF THE THROTTLE.

The ride like a pro will teach you what to do and what not to do.

Most likely you had the front wheel turned and grabbed too much front brake (As was previously described.) RLAP says that's the fastest way to put yourself down on the ground. Also as was said earlier you WILL go where ever you are looking.

The higher center of gravity at first makes the slow turning maneuvers squirrely because being above the CG will make all maneuvers feel more accentuated.

Later, you will love the feeling especially on tight turns at speed.

Take the MSF course and buy the RLAP video. Then practice, practice practice. The video will also teach you the maneuvers in the proper sequence to learn and grow. The live instructors at the MSF will spot and help you work on your particular problems.

HEY, YOU'VE ALREADY STARTED AT THE TOP. You won't need to go through several bikes in order to get to the best bike like I did. You may never need another model after this one. Bigger bikeitis can get expensive. I out grew each of my first 3 bikes in just a few months. Kept the sportster for 11 years.

#26 ·
The 883 is a top heavy bike, I've sat on a friend's street glide which actually felt lighter. If you ever watch a motorcycle officer ride you will notice their posture. Sit up straight like you are wearing a back brace at low speeds and don't lean into a low speed corner more than necessary. Whenever I am at low speed I sit straight up, stability of the bike is much better. Your clutch control will help a lot also. Before you know it you won't have to think about it. Alot of good advice has already been posted. Good luck.

#27 ·
I am glad your taking the class and keep your head up. When I started riding I practiced in a parking lot learning to handle it in turns and stops. Practice releasing the clutch and feathering it on slow turns. Like everyone else keep your eyes looking ahead. Practice makes perfect. I remember my boulevard c50 felt so big to me as I had 10 years between riding. Even my street glide felt so heavy and big but it will all become apart of you in time.

#28 ·
I think we have all been told to lean to turn. But, not when you are already stopped. You need to go forward before you turn and then lean a little. I could not teach that to my wife so she quit. If you lean at a stop to turn usually you will spin the rear wheel around and go down. I have taught the beginners courses when I was in the military for the base education office. I have seen it all.

#29 ·
my mother used to wear out the little 1 cyl bikes. In 1979 our dealer said that she could handle a Sportster. I think it was 1000cc one. Anyway, I rode it home and told her she had to ride it in our fields for a couple of days then she should be good for the road. She road that bike for 10 years until she was 68 then decided she should get off of it before something happened.

#30 ·
A sporty of any flavor can work for a starter bike in my opinion at least. A set of highway bars can save your leg and bike should it happen again. If you have a empty parking lot around you can get a bunch of tennis balls cut them in half and set up a course with them and just keep going through it with a mentor.

On the vertically challenged part I work with a guy that may qualify for midget money and he lowered his bike in the rear and put on a reduced reach seat so he could be flat footed at stop signs. That may be an option for you.

Most importantly though keep on keeping on. Shake off the jitters patch yourself up and get back out there.

#31 ·
I highly recommend RLAP, most of it is on youtube. They have a 4' 11" chick on a big touring bike. She rides it like it ain't nobodies business. You may want to think about having your seat worked to give you more reach. Or maybe a different seat. Take your time, be patient and practice. You can use the lines in a parking lot, but I don't recommend grass. Front brakes and real low speed turns don't mix. Try not to get over your head. Don't get frustrated, just relax and enjoy. It'll come to you. Congrats on your new bike and good luck on your riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.