Harley Davidson Forums banner

Brake pedal hitting exhaust

16K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Paul HD72 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2014 Superlow 1200T with dealer installed V&H Big Radius Exhaust. I noticed today for the first time the brake pedal is hitting the heat shield when depressed. Now that I noticed it I think it's stopping the rear brake from being fully engaged. I will be heading back to the dealer but I was wondering if anybody else has this setup and if there is a way of adjusting the brake pedal? I've looked but don't see any way of adjust the rod to raise the pedal a little

#6 ·
Your HD dealer, with HD certified mechanics did the install and your brake pedal hits the exhaust and may not be giving you full braking capability? I would be talking to the dealership general manager. And I would also be finding a different dealer for future business.
I planned on going back this morn and wouldn't ya know its raining pretty hard. I'll have to wait till Monday. This dealer, where I purchased the bike, is about 15 mins from my home and here on Long Island the next closest dealer is about 40 minutes away so I'm kind of stuck with Suffolk County Harley for now

#11 ·
the stealership where my wife and I bought our bikes is 3 miles from home. I had a major problem and they said it was how I was riding the bike. I then went to dealer 90 miles from home. They found some sorta sensor bad and after some time found that the wiring harness needed replacing. I have ridden 1000+ miles since getting the m/c back and have had no problems. I will always bypass the first shop and go to the second even if I have to put the bike on a trailer! Bad service is bad service and you don't have to put up with it!

#14 ·
Here's the bolt I am talking about but I do have forward controls and don't recall the mids View attachment 268729

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I would think the rod that attaches to the brake pedal would be adjustable. When i git my pants on i'll walk out to the shop and look at my original controls and rod. Mines an 05....your 2014 may be different though.

#16 ·
Just went out an checked, nope...no adjustment. looks like there would be.....:mad...The aftermarket one that came with my forward controls has adjustment on it.

#17 ·
I think the later model Sportys have the adjustable rod. The adjusting end is at the master cylinder. Gotta disconnect the end at the pedal and screw it out to make it longer, that'll raise the pedal. Loosen the jam nut before you unscrew.

#18 ·
When I remove that retainer bolt it allows me to rotate the brake pedal back or forward then put it back in to keep it there. Mine are not stock controls. When I put the forwards on mine the guy who I traded my mids with had everything set so far forward I couldn't reach so I had to adjust the shifter and brake pedal. I may note that I don't know who made these as I traded someone else for them.

#19 ·
Since it was raining on Saturday I didn't bring the bike back to the dealer. I did drive there and speak to two mechanics and neither one knew if there was a way to adjust the pedal. One mech said they have to move the heat shield. I have no idea how he plans on doing that but I will find out Monday morn when I bring the bike in. I hope they don't give me a hard time replacing the already damaged heat shield.

#20 ·
So I dropped the bike off at the dealer today. The service mechanic told me to leave it because he doesn't know what to do. The brake pedal can't be adjusted. They might have to give me a different exhaust, or forward controls, if V&H does't have a solution. He said being it's a new model Sportster he never saw this problem before. I said you would think the mech who did the install would have noticed the pedal was hitting while he had it up on the lift. Oh well I guess I'll wait and see what they do. All I know is it better not cost me anymore money.

#23 ·
For anyone who might care my dealer called Vance and Hines today. They said V&H swears the exhaust fits my bike without the brake pedal hitting the heat shield. To prove it they claim they took the exact Big Radius Exhaust I have and got a hold of a 2014 Superlow 1200T and installed the exhaust on it and said they could fit an entire hand between the bottom of the pedal and the exhaust while the pedal was being pressed. They are sending that same exhaust to the dealer to put on my bike. They seem to think the exhaust I have is defective (bent wrong). I am still very skeptical. If it wasn't bent correctly I would think the mounting bolts wouldn't line up. They are sending it two day priority, but since it's coming from CA it might not arrive in NY until Monday. If it still doesn't fit the dealer says they will install forward foot controls on my bike at no cost to me. I can't wait till Monday. Personally I don't see how a big company like V&H has time to get their hands on the exact bike I have and install the exhaust all in one day. I could be wrong but I don't think the one they are sending will fit either. Here is a picture of my bike now. You can see how close the pedal is to the exhaust. I don't see how the exhaust is bent wrong.

Attachments

#25 ·
It does'nt look like the dealer would have let you leave with that bike, the tech should'a seen that and knew it was a safety hazzard. But hey, if you git forward controls at no cost......it's a win..win. keep us posted..:thumb

#26 ·
Sounds like one of the dealerships down here I had to stop going to they told me the v&h Fuelpak would work on 2013 sportster, and that you can't use forward controls with short shot pipes. Some of the dealers just have bad employees. Hope to hear it gets resolved, maybe you can get a couple free shirts, or some gloves or something for the issues.

#32 ·
Well Monday came around and the exhaust never showed up. The dealer called V&H and they promised it would be at the dealer on Tuesday. Tuesday came but the exhaust didn't (It's like a bad joke). Dealer calls V&H again and this time they say it was never sent out. The dealer installed forward controls at no cost to me. Once the exhaust arrives the dealer will call me to bring the bike back in. This way they can see if the exhaust I have is manufactured wrong, if not everything stays the way it is except they have to replace my damaged heat shield. If mine is defective they'll put the new one on and I keep the forward controls. Now I just have to get used to forward controls

#37 ·
I brought the bike to the dealer today and they installed the exhaust that V&H swore would fit and guess what?.... it's the exact same thing as the original V&H exhaust, the brake pedal still hits. I think the people at V&H are off their rocker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.