Harley Davidson Forums banner

sporty or not to sporty

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  avidarchers 
#1 ·
Not sure where to post this. looking to buy a 2006 sporty for my wife. it is an 883 but not sure which one. but the real delay is the title. it is a rebuild title. dont know why. the bike is clean rides very nice and smooth kinda cold blooded. carberated. see no eveidence of any damage.pipes have some scatches frame looks good rides straight. just dont know what or why the rebuild title.
how will this affect price tag title insurance or anything else?

#3 · (Edited)
^ this... Unless you are getting the bike dirt cheap....but since you asked about resale value....Most folks do not even consider a bike with a rebuilt title, again, unless it is dirt cheap.

I went through the same with my wife. She just stopped riding the Nightster and went and got a Softail Deluxe. A lot easier for her to ride. I am to blame because I never spent the time to address the concerns she had. Suspension being the most critical one as the ride was too harsh for her (something that I fixed in my 48 with some inexpensive RGC shocks in the back and monotubes in the front...live and learn)..

#7 ·
i kinda agree she had a 2012 1200 custom we got rid of due to medical issues she had surgey feels better and wants it back. lol once its in ur blood u never get it out.
the 1200 was awful i thought rough riding uncomfortable but this 06 883 feels so much smoother and seems to fit her better. just dont know what to think about the title as far as tags insurance and eventually resale. plus the carburator. is it common to be cold blooded having to choke most of the time for start up?

#14 ·
The argument that she WILL outgrow it is wrong. She MAY outgrow it but I know plenty that ride and enjoy the sportster. I would say don't get her a sportster if this is to be a starter bike for her. They are top heavy and pretty much the worst "starter" bike because of this. Get her a dyna low rider or a softail because they are easier to control. Second, rebuilt or salvage titles are always a big red flag.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
Using choke for start up, except when engine is very warm is normal. Follow the owners manual directions, and you won't have any trouble. Increasing the pilot jet will require less choke, but isn't needed unless you want and your particular bike is really bad. Hell, that's what chokes are for! Insurance should not be a concern or licenses.

#16 ·
the title kinda bothers me as far as selling it later but.....
its kinda part of the family. its not a starter bike for her tried to get her a fat boy but she really likes the sportsters.
my wife still has her broom but she cant figure out how to get any more chrome or bling on it. she says the vibration isnt the same and its not loud enough plus she cant pick up the sportster to hit me with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.