Harley Davidson Forums banner

Inherited my fathers 2000 sportster sport

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  webco2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
My father recently passed away and has left me his what I like to call, "his third child". His 2000 sportster sport. Now he had done a few things that I know of to it such as new intake (hyper charger?) and new pipes (van Hines?). Other than that I have no clue. Now I have never ridden a motorcycle, though I plan to get my license in the spring (feel it would be a waste to get it now, with winter around the corner) but I do have some general questions about the bike.

1.) the bike was moved from Georgia to Colorado Springs and the elevation is playing hell with the carbouratour. My question is, is it best to get the carb adjusted (rejetted?) for the altitude? I already asked the local dealership what it would cost for a service and carb time and they said between $550 and $600. Or should I look into a new carb setup that might be better and maybe not need so much adjustment?

2.) if my knowledge of cars carries over well enough to bikes, hen I also would believe that the head gasget on one of the cylnders needs replacing as some oil is seeping from out of the top of the motor. How hard is it to change the head gasget on a V-Twin?

3.) as a first time owner of a motorcycle (let alone a harley) what are some general things I should know baring the obvious of learning to ride?

I have many more questions, but for now I will start with that. Eventually after a few years of riding I want to eventually turn the bike into a tribute to my father, his vision for the bike was this nasty mean monster of a street/drag harley that every time you started it the neighbors called in a noise complaint (lol). But that's for later.

-Ty

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words from all and thanks for the quick reply. I think maybe I should clarify on my car knowledge. The best way I can describe it is that I am at best "book smart". I understand the theory on how a motor works down to a good enough detail. However have never had the opportunity to do much more than change the oil or installing a upgraded intake. So in theory I could do some work....but I have no experience.

The problem I have is Numerouse...the biggest is:

1.). My GF moved in last week and I no longer have a garage or really a work space since all her boxes have nearly vacume sealed my garage.

2.). I also don't have much in tools. My big box of tools went missing in my move from Germany to here (military). So I have a few recent wrenches, a Allen key set and some scre drivers.....lol

"If" I were to take the bike to the harley dealership for service for now....is 550-600 worth it?

#11 ·
Take a pic of the leak.

My bet it is just the rocker box leaking.

Or easier yet. Is the oil leak above where the spark plug screws into the head or below?

#12 ·
Sorry about your dad. Welcome from New Hampshire, hope you enjoy the ride, doesn't sound like a major issue.

#14 ·
Condolences about your Dad.
Congrats on the G.F. moving in. Now to keep her from getting the upper hand, tell her the kitchen & bathrooms are hers to do with as she pleases, and she has 2 weeks to get her stuff outta your garage.
(just kidding).
The stock CV carb is a good unit, and forgiving of altitude changes. If the bike was stored or not ridden for a while, bad gas or sediment could be your problem. Draining old and using fresh fuel might cure it. If it is not, the price the Harley shop quoted you is WAAY outta line. Find an independant shop that works on Harleys and let them take a look at the carb.
And tell the G.F. that 10% of your gross pay is for new tools, 10% for Harley upgrades, 25% for Beer and guy time, the rest is for living expenses. If she don't nut you or move out, marry her. :thumbsup

#16 ·
Thanks again for the kind words. I think I will do the carb rejet myself. I'm fairly adept at turning a wrench and I can put together any Ikeia furniture without instructions lol). Just need to do research on the best jet that is the most forgiving with altitude.

So here is another question. What chemicals do you use to get off baked on oil off of Chrome? Looks like the oil leak has been around at least for a few rides as there is oil stains on the pipes . My father kind of became lazy in his final years and the bike is kind of dirty (not horrible.... No rust or anything)

I am excited to see all the help here. I know in a few years after I got a few thousand miles under me with the bike that I will have no problem turning this bike into a fearsome monster. I already know the name that will go on the tank. Me and my dad have both served in the Air Force so I was thinking of naming it like pilots do with their planes. I was going g to name it "for whom the bell tolls" as that was his all time favorite song. He raised me on heavy metal so it's only fitting.

#15 ·
What Breeze3at said. Rejetting is easy, figuring out the best jet diameter for optimum performance could be the issue. Some indie wrenches will agree to let you get your knuckles bloody and your nails dirty helping them and that knowledge gained would be priceless. Ask around.

I just came from visiting my Dad in a Colorado Springs hospice so believe me when I say I'm sorry for your loss. I also know that, come Spring, you and your bike will find so much joy paying tribute to your Dad's memory. You are truly in a special spot to be out riding with all those back roads.

#17 ·
I won't use any kind of abrasive on my chrome. For rubber and baked on oil, I use oven cleaner. I spray some in the cap, then dab it on the pipe and let it sit a while. Spraying that stuff around painted surfaces is dangerous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.