Harley Davidson Forums banner

My new air cleaner kit

3K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  bobf 
#1 ·
Hey guys, about a month ago I installed a new DK air cleaner and Do it yourself breather kit.
Well what a big difference.
For the first time I hit 100!!!!
Too fast....lol
But the power feels so much better.
My mpg went from 48 to 39.
Would a carb tune up help the mpg?
Thanks for reading, here's a couple pics of the ac.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Tire
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive exterior Car
Vehicle Automotive lighting Headlamp Car Automotive design

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#6 ·
It won't make much of a difference, except you'll feel better knowing your bike is tuned better. I changed my exhaust and air kit and then added a fuel management module and I lost about 6 mpg. The fuel management sets the bike to run a little rich so that's why I lost mpg. To me it's worth the added power and I like knowing my engine is running a little cooler.

#7 ·
#15 ·
Just back into the crankcase. Do`t think it will hurt anything.
It`s only an oil mist that is produced. Only drips when enough collects to form drops and overcome oil`s natural cling factor.

Was`t meant to start any crap (for once).
Just honestly have never seen one mounted that way.

#19 ·
I bet you get half that mpg back when you get used to it and stop raping it. :thumb

#27 ·
can you do a couple of runs and check your plug for color like maybe go down a freeway nice and easy stay at the same speed using no more than 1/4 throttle hold it easy and dont go on and off the gas for this ut after 5 to 10 mile when you pull a plug out the color of the ceramic should be a tan color thats for the idle circuit I put a arlen ness big sucker stage 2 on my 1340 which is a 95 heritage and had to change all my jetting ended up using a 170 for the main a 22.5 pilot and needle in the middle position and the carby is a 42mm HSR so if you cant do the test or dont have time take for a dyno tune because pipes or air cleaner change or both may need differant jets and the air cleaner you use now has no restriction for air supply compared to the standard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.