Harley Davidson Forums banner

How Fast Do You Go??

7K views 48 replies 38 participants last post by  scspartan 
#1 · (Edited)
Here in NY if you're on the LIE and doing 70 MPH you better be in the right lane. I would have to say the average speed here is 80 to 90 MPH. Personally I try and keep it between 65 and 70 MPH while on my bike. It seems the police here no longer have a problem with these high speeds since I constantly see cars flying passed park police cars with no consequences. So my question is how fast do most of you drive while on the highways and expressways in your town, and do the police seem to care anymore if your going over the speed limit. btw... the speed limit here in NY is still only 55 MPH!

#36 ·
70 is a safe speed for me. The herd is usually running 75-80. Definitely do not want to be guy in front. CHIPs like to sit off in there favorite spots, they come out of no where sometimes.

#37 ·
In general, about 5 over the speed limit. If I need to go faster than that to avoid getting run over, I'll take a different road. I like roads with curves in them, anyway. Of course, sometimes I wick it up just for the fun of it, but it's when I want to, not when crazy traffic dictates it.

#39 ·
I live in AZ there are a lot of aggressive drivers here. I try to basically just go with the flow which is mostly a lite under 80. I got pulled over doing 80 in a 65 and told the officer "I was going with the flow and felt that it was hazardous for me to go under." He said"ok, so long as you weren't speeding just to speed have a good day." Didn't even bother with my license or anything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#40 ·
As I was learning my bike's little quirks several years back, I discovered that as long as I didn't push the tach above 3k, I didn't have a problem with fuel consumption. Learned the hard was that pushing it significantly above that mark made this huge sucking sound in the fuel system as it ate gas at an alarming rate. Made the keeping up with the flow on I-49 in Louisiana and found out there aren't many places to get fuel there. Almost ended up walking into Bossier City. Had 0.1gal left when I filled up...should have had well over a gallon/gallon and a half left according to the odo. Of course I got there a lot quicker than at "normal" speeds.

#41 ·
i cruze 45-65 until im agitated then its all out war. i just dont give a elf . ive been busted 15 over an with cdl thats an auto yank the license but they let me slide. top it off it was scooter coppers they never let anybody off. except that day they were being nice to me.

#47 ·
In Michigan, Detroit area, on 696, if can't drive at 70+ bumper to bumper,3 lanes, and no shoulders you will be run over and no one would stop.

#49 ·
I do about a buck twenty down to the convenience store 2 miles away, and that's in just 4th gear. :biking: Seriously, my go fast days have got up and gone. I either do the speed limit or 5 mph over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.