Harley Davidson Forums banner

How Fast Do You Go??

7K views 48 replies 38 participants last post by  scspartan 
#1 · (Edited)
Here in NY if you're on the LIE and doing 70 MPH you better be in the right lane. I would have to say the average speed here is 80 to 90 MPH. Personally I try and keep it between 65 and 70 MPH while on my bike. It seems the police here no longer have a problem with these high speeds since I constantly see cars flying passed park police cars with no consequences. So my question is how fast do most of you drive while on the highways and expressways in your town, and do the police seem to care anymore if your going over the speed limit. btw... the speed limit here in NY is still only 55 MPH!

#2 ·
I hear ya, out here in Cali at least where I live, some of the freeways as you merge on you better be hitting at least 75 or you may get run down. I was in Idaho last month on highway 84 around Boise it was a 80 mph speed limit. So we were cruising at 85-90 for at least 50 miles.Didn't see any police though. The drivers in Idaho don't ride your tail like they do out here.

#3 ·
Here in NY if you're on the LIE and doing 70 MPH you better be in the right lane. I would have to say the average speed here is 80 to 85 MPH. Personally I try and keep it between 65 and 70 MPH while on my bike. It seems the police here no longer have a problem with these high speed since I constantly see cars flying passed park police cars with no consequences. So my question is how fast do most of you drive while on the highways and expressways in your town, and do the police seem to care anymore if your going over the speed limit. btw... the speed limit here in NY is still only 55 MPH.
The new stretch of road is posted at 85mph , most folks are pushing 100 . :) :thumbsup

#4 ·
Whatever the posted limit is I try to stay about 8-9 mph over just to keep from being run over and to also stay under the "usually" allowed 10 mph over the limit. Sometimes passing one or more semi trucks may see me doing a lot more than the usually allowed 10 over but that is so I can get away/around a truck(s) in a hurry then slow back down. And I'm hopeful that while I may be passing trucks I'm mixed in with traffic enough so that radar might not pick me out of the bunch.

Seems to work for me cause I haven't had a ticket since 1982.

#8 ·
I forgot to even mention the semi trucks. It used to be they would be in the right lane doing 55-60 MPH now they're riding the center and sometimes left lane like they're small italian sports cars. You are right, you gotta hit 90 just to pass them and get out of harms way.

#12 ·
I try to stay close to the limit, but traffic flow sometimes dictates faster. When it gets stupid fast, I find another road.
I refuse to ride on 2 wheels at speeds faster than my old airplanes would cruise.

#19 ·
I learned in a J-3 in 1964. It would fall at 70-80.

I prefer side roads and US Hiways at 55 to 60. I'll cruise at 70 on the interstate, but the noise from the tires on the cages is almost overwhelming.

The problem with riding slower than other traffic is being passed and one faded into my lane and missed me by a few inches.

#34 ·
Here in NY a police officer friend told me that they don't even bother with the speeding crotch rockets. If they start to chase one and the bike crashes somehow the police officer might be held liable. Sounds odd but I didn't question him.

#14 ·
I just started riding this year. Around here in Delaware, the speed limit on back highways is 50, the one expressway I have to take is 55, you better be doing 70 if there is traffic.
That said, I am not a huge fan of riding on the expressway, and I can get where I want / need to on city streets or back roads! On the express way I cruise between 65 & 80 depending on how I am feeling and traffic. On the back roads (50mph) I do about the same, unless I feel like a rush...then I'm seeing how fast I can go in a straight before I puss out lol.
I've hit about ehh 108ish / 110 on a small stretch... started to feel the very very slight start of front tire wobble. I can comfortably hit 90-100 though...usually followed by a "WOOOOHHH!!!" after I let off
:bigguns

#31 ·
Cruising down rt 1 on a Friday you better be doing 80+. I got passed by a cop in the right lane while doing 80 in bumper to bumper traffic. I didn't have a windshield till this year, and it was like holding on in a hurricane. I was beat to hell by the time I got to southern Delaware.

Typically I like to ride 65-70. Don't care to cruise past 70 really for any real length of time. This summer went down through VA, WV, NC and in some spots the speed limit was either 70 or 75? We kept it around 70 unless traffic dictated otherwise

#15 ·
when you leave our city and go in any direction the speed limit is 80mph which means the main flow of traffic is going ave 90mph. a police friend that we ride with says he only tickets under 100 if there is another obvious infraction - lane change no signal is common. he gets his quota of 100+ mph tickets on friday afternoons when students from the 3 local universities travel out of town for the weekend. we keep our bikes new and with new tires well maintained so we can cruise at high speed and not get pushed around. on a bike you want to stay away from other cars - they are all out to kill you. you do not want to be passed by a steady stream of cars/trucks you can get bumped/clipped/side swiped. cars and trucks gravitate to motorcycles maybe they are looking at the pretty colors or fancy riding gear or maybe no looking at all - and at 90mph halloween may come early!

#23 ·
my post was unclear. . . . sorry

If I nosed it over straight down, it probably wouldn't go over 80. Now that's probably not true. Once the wings rip off it should hit about 120 straight down :). Just said it for grins. I think around 75 was the cruise speed.

I flew the Cessna 120, 150, 172 and Cardinal

I flew the Piper Cherokee, Warrior, Arrow and Cherokee 6

Beechcraft Debonair

Mooney and

FORD TRI MOTOR

#25 ·
As fast as I can get away with. I have had a few LEO say that if you are 15 and under, over the posted that they are not going to waste the time to pull you over. Here in NC get a lawyer and it will get thrown out or reduced anyway. I however like to run it to it's limit. which I have found it to be about 115 and that's all she's got Captian.

#26 ·
Depends on my goals. If I'm slabbing to get somewhere, ludicrous speed. If I'm tooling around, less.

#27 ·
On the slab, whatever speed entitles me to the number one lane. If I have to go over 80-85(our freeways are 65 mph in town) to stay ahead of traffic behind me I pull over and wave 'em through. In anything but the number one lane out here I feel like a duck in a shooting gallery.

#28 ·
Usually 10 over, or with traffic. Around here if you travel in the 'fast' lane it doesn't matter how fast you're going. The numb skulls will pull up on your tail light and push you down the road. Then when you pull over to let them by they pass you pull into your lane and slow down. Idiots!

This past summer a couple of us headed out for a 3 day ride to southern Virginia and back. Running down rt 81 we did a pretty steady 75 mph most of the time. We both ride Deuces, his is carbed mine is EFI. At those speeds he gets right at 45 mpg, I get 40 mpg. Drop the speeds down to 50-60 and his stays the same and mine matches his.

#30 ·
And that's how Ludicris became a rap star.

Silly fun . . . thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.