Harley Davidson Forums banner

Uncomfortable with Forward Controls

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  gusa39 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently had forward controls installed on my Superlow 1200T, but my right leg, near my knee, is hitting the air filter cover. It's very uncomfortable during longer rides. My leg actually gets tired. It feels like I'm holding my leg in an awkward position. I was wondering if anyone else has, or had, this problem and if you have any suggestions. I have the stage 1 kit with original Sportster cover. I didn't have any problem with my mid foot controls

#3 ·
Thanks, but unfortunately with the newer forward controls Harley sells for later model Sportsters I need to buy a different Clevis for any other foot peg to fit. (costs $70) But even a different peg won't change my leg position... at least I don't think to make enough of a difference.

#5 ·
Big Twins used t have that problem as well, and what wqe did was just add a short spacer between the peg and the peg mount. Set the peg out about 3 inches further and made it so our knees didn't hit the air cleaner. You might try finding or making a 3 inch spacer.

Dave

#8 ·
I grew up on dirt bikes and sport bikes; I have never been able to get used to forward controls. My FXD has mid controls and I love them.

In your case, you might be able to find a thinner profile air cleaner. They do make them for Sporsters and I would guess that they project at least a couple of inches less than the stock air filter cover.

AJ, from Open Road Cycles in Denver, NC has a thinner profile filter on his Sportster. I don't know who makes it though.

Pete

#9 ·
You might just go back to the original setup and buy a fancy looking crash bar and install pegs or mounts to it for long distance riding. I have original setup and sometimes rest my foot, actually ankles in front of the peg. Sometimes to change a bit of positioning, I rest my feet behind me on the passenger pegs. I can remember in 1965 on my Honda 165 I would rest my feet on the handlebars and lean back on a sleeping bag when going camping. But that was only on a lonesome highway with little traffic.

#10 ·
well actually dude I had a similar problem actually! I will present u with this question: what are u wearing for foot gear?

here's why I ask: when I wear my cowboy boots ( yeah I know, goofy hahah) I have that SAME problem... the feet don't stay in position on the pegs and I have to hold my leg in, which inevitably leads to fatigue. BUT! when I wear my motorcycle boots, my legs stay in position and I could ride all day!

clearly that's an issue w the sole of the boot! have u tried standard boots??

#11 ·
No I have not. I wear, what I call, riding sneakers. They are actual motorcycle shoes, but they look like high top sneakers. While riding I noticed if I raised my right leg up about 2 inches my knee can go above the air filter cover and rest against the tank and that feels comfortable. Maybe I need some platform riding boots (lol). It's very annoying that I can't get comfortable with these forward controls. I might have to go back to my mid controls and forget the forwards.

#16 ·
When I bought my 98 custom it had forwards and an S&S carb and breather. It felt great. I needed to replace the forwards and bought a set of black with brass swiss cheese pegs. I had to fab brackets to mount them. I replaced the S&S carb breather bracket with a black bracket that breathes thru it instead of having to use fittings and tubing. I replaced this because I hated the S&S breather. When I bought the first breather it looked great but it protruded to far and I had the same problem you are having. I found a K&N filter at Autozone that was perfect for about 20 bucks. Replacing a stock filter and cover isn't just a bolt on, or at least not on my bike, but it is a solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.