Harley Davidson Forums banner

FI Sportster Motor Question(s)-48/72/883

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bobf 
#1 ·
A friend of mine was talking about the 48/72 Sportsters and the motors in them (1200). I chimed in asking that with the new FI motors, can you tune up the 883 to be comparable to the 1200 in the Sportster models. He and I are old school carb guy's and don't know anything about the FI motors/the how well the PC can tune them or how far you can take the computerized motors etc.

So we started looking at some engine specs and here is what I found on-line. Not sure if they are correct. ??

883:
Bore-3"
Stroke-3.81
Comp-9.01
H.P-53/48ftlbs torque

1200:
Bore-3.5"
Stroke- 3.81
Comp-10.1
H.P.-65/72ftlbs torque

Then the question(s) came up:
1. "Is there a difference in the cam profile/lobes/duration etc between the 883/1200 or just the heads/cylinders/pistons."

2. "Can the jugs (cylinders)/cam/heads/pistons be changed out to a 1200 series w/the FI motors and is it worth it."

3. "Or, can the 883 actually be tuned (pipes/tuners/air intake etc) with-in reason to the 1200's H.P/torque range without changing out the jugs, cam etc?"

We said we didn't know and would ask.

Reason this conversation took place is I was looking at the 48/72 on-line from the HD site and then the Iron caught my eye, but it has the 883.

So, we went to HD dealer looking at a few bikes and I looked at/sat on all three and liking them all.

Thanks for the help, hope this makes since,
Jim

See less See more
#3 ·
Cylinders and pistons are interchangeable. 1200 heads will breathe better. You can tune the 883's horse power to match an un-tuned 1200, but that power will be at a higher rpm. The torque peak will be at a higher rpm. ( less torque at higher rpm = same horse power).

#4 ·
Great info. Trying to decide between the Iron, 48 or 72 bikes for early next year purchase. Was thinking about the Street Bob but I like the one listed above a little more, guess I have time to think.

Thanks again,
Jim

#5 ·
Thanks for the link. I didn't see the fuel injectors in the kit so I presume that the same FI for the 883 will work for the 1200 kit. Is that true? Sorry for any stupid questions but I don't know anything about these motors.

Thanks again,
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.