Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hamcan Mods

38K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  WarSyndrome 
#1 ·
Bought an old hamcan for this project on eBay for .99 the other day - straight, but the chrome was shot. I used some air tools where I work to cut an opening in the front, and then I sandblasted the rust and the remainder of the chrome off of it. Here are a few pics...

Inside of my old SE air cleaner, adapted to the Ironhead

Screen curved correctly & JB Welded in, with donor office supply basket behind :D

Cover in sandblast finish (cool looking, but it would rust like mad) :)

Primed and painted with "cast aluminum" engine paint

The finished product

See less See more
#17 ·
Not really, although it seems to have a little more oomph when accelerating from about 70 mph and up. The performance gain came earlier with the SE air cleaner, and the mod to the cover was mainly for looks.

#26 ·
That's genius way to save on hd parts.. I like how it turned out, good job

#27 ·
I look at that bike, and it makes me want to do track-days on it......

#31 ·
After seeing this mod, I did my first one. Not quite as extensive, but hey, it was the first one I attempted. The gloss black S.E. ham can that came with the dealer installed 1200 upgrade on my brand new Iron was bugging me because the gloss stuck out on my black denim Iron. I was planning to get SE stage 1 round rail style, or a heavy breather, but I didn't want to spend any more when a high flow S.E. a/c was included in the upgrade. So I removed the a/c cover, sanded, primed, and used two coats of John Deere Blitz Black from a rattle can, and it came out great. A perfect match to the black denim. Looks factory. Pic with my leg in it is how it came, and the others are after the paint.

Attachments

Reactions: Dyna FXD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.