Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hi-def Video: How-To change your engine oil on Nightster/ Sportster

58K views 44 replies 38 participants last post by  webco2 
#1 ·
I know some of the videos out there show how to change the oil but most of those are for earlier model Sporties. I know throughout the years there are small variances mainly between where the oil drain plug is located on the Sporties. Since my bike is an '07 I figured I'd title the video as such.

Hope this helps someone out who might not be mechanically inclined, have a HD service manual or just learns better by video than reading. At any rate I made this to help you.

**Please do not comment on what type of oil is best used. There are a gazillion threads and posts on those debates. This video and thread is just to help someone learn what to do in order the change their engine oil.

(Note: this video was recorded in HD so if you need to see it in 720p it is available from the youtube dropdown)

:thumbsup

#34 ·
Thanks

I'm a first time Harley owner and was really worried I was gonna screw up my oil change! I almost went to the dealer and forked out almost 200 smackers until I saw this video. After seeing it I went to my local dealer, got 3 quarts of 20-W50 a chrome filter, went home and did my oil change. It was easier than changing the oil in my truck! It took me about 20 minutes! Thanks !

#37 ·
hey thanks for the video! Just bought my first HD! Was on a quick ride and engine light came on also oil light! I have had a problem 1 time before with some kind of sensor connection, after washed it bike wouldn't start! ! simply pushed connection together and it started now this! Any help would be most appreciated! Been so ready for some riding and its been a long long winter!

#40 ·
That is true, the oil pump will eventually fill up the filter.

But in the mean time there is no oil getting pumped up to the rest of the motor until the filter gets filled up.

So by putting oil in the filter before installation, oil gets to where it needs to be quicker.

Reactions: Colt.45
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.