Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hi-def Video: How-To change your engine oil on Nightster/ Sportster

58K views 44 replies 38 participants last post by  webco2 
#1 ·
I know some of the videos out there show how to change the oil but most of those are for earlier model Sporties. I know throughout the years there are small variances mainly between where the oil drain plug is located on the Sporties. Since my bike is an '07 I figured I'd title the video as such.

Hope this helps someone out who might not be mechanically inclined, have a HD service manual or just learns better by video than reading. At any rate I made this to help you.

**Please do not comment on what type of oil is best used. There are a gazillion threads and posts on those debates. This video and thread is just to help someone learn what to do in order the change their engine oil.

(Note: this video was recorded in HD so if you need to see it in 720p it is available from the youtube dropdown)

:thumbsup

#3 ·
Nice instructional video, I know you meant quarts not liters but that's cool. Thank you for taking the time to show people this simple task that otherwise would cost them a pretty nickel to have dona at a dealership. The more you work on your own machine the more you enjoy it.

#6 ·
Yup according to XLF that is correct for 04+. HD admits to a typo/misprint in the service manual for 04+ Sporties to it not being 3.6 qts.

Just to clarify should anyone else see my vid I never go exactly by what any manual says in terms of how much oil. I begin to add oil to just around the halfway mark, no higher on a cold engine. Then warm the engine up by letting it run for at least 10 minutes. Check oil level again and add til it's just shy of being topped off (a little more than 3/4 full). Adding it too high will cause oil blow-by issues I've heard. So I keep it just shy of being to the top line/mark.

#18 ·
Very nice video, but I would like to see you shoot it again changing one step. That was horrendous watching all that oil spill over and down the motor needlessly. A simple one quart plastic milk jug does wonders with a little trimming and can be reused again and again.

Another tip...throw those cloth shop rags in the garbage where they belong. These are the only towels which should come near an engine.

#19 ·
I do not think there is a real need to re-shoot the vid its a good effort and you show the logical next step in keeping the oil off your engine n frame...good on both of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.