Harley Davidson Forums banner

2007 Sportster ECU

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  nobby bobby 
#1 ·
I installed the vance hines fuel pack in my dads 2007 1200 sportyC
The ECU sticks up toward the pan of the seat and the seat is literally balancing on it. There is no room for anything.

I was thinking of taking a cutting wheel to the frame around the top of the bike just to take off a tiny bit to let that ECU drop down so seat can get on right. I just hate cutting or grinding out oem stuff so I thought I would ask first.

I don't want to put the ecu outside the bike or under the rear fender. Anyone have any luck with this ?

#3 ·
I suggest do not cut the frame.
Why not install the unit inside the battery box instead of under the seat ? Or down on top of the trans housing ?
Or contact Vance Hines at there website and ask them where they intended for the unit to be installed on your model bike. They have a good tech help line.

#9 ·
Figured out what was wrong. The connectors were not touching seat pan. This seat which is the oem seat 2 up had this bucket seat that would put your family jewels in a bunch and it felt like my butt cheeks were being squeezed like a ripe orange. So I took the fabric and foam off the seat pan and heated up the seat pan over the stove and flattened out that butt squeezer ass bucket.

After taking a close look, I noticed the sides of the seat pan are not touching the frame so I had to do some carpentry and cut 2 shims drill holes through shims, paint em black and run cable ties through em around frame. The seat is higher by 1 inch but there is a good part here.

You can get all the way back on the seat and stretch your legs way out.
Further than my stock dyna. NowI can ride it all day and it wont tear up my rump.
I also installed stock oem handlebars from a road king. Got rid of those straight bars
so now its stretch out and cruise. What a difference. Only thing I needed to get for the road king handle bars was a longer front brake cable, Thats it.

I bought this stuff on egay called conformax. Its a gel and foam pad that gets installed into your foam. But since the foam is so thin on the sporty i put that pad on the seat pan under the seat foam.
Its very close to a dyna now in comfort with the rubber mount and EFI. All it needs really is a better suspension system on rear.

It would be nice if someone could fabricate a dyna swing arm and put the belt pulley on other side.
All this out the door cost about 120 bucks and worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.