Harley Davidson Forums banner

How to make my Iron 883 sound like a Harley

23K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  FreedomPenguin 
#1 ·
I just bought my first Harley last week and so far, I love everything about it except for its sound. I'm guessing this is probably the first thing most HD owners upgrade on their bike.... Just looking for some guidance on the best route to go. I'd rather not go through HD as I can probably get a better deal on buying a set of pipes from a local shop but I don't know where to start. Since I'm new to this, what is a good brand that will give good sound, not crazy loud, and won't break the bank. Any advice is much appreciated.

#4 ·
Like Chasarms suggested just get slip-on mufflers. That's the quickest and easiest way to make your bike sound better. There are tons of good brands out there that make slip ons, personally I prefer Vance & Hines. You can also get Harley Street Cannon Slip-on Mufflers. They're not too much money and look nice on the 883. Also, if you just do slip-ons you will NOT need to change your air intake and will NOT need to add a fuel management module such as the Vance & Hines FP3

#5 ·
Slip ons are the way to go. But realize that a Sportster isn't going to sound like a big twin, no matter what you do. The Sportster, besides being a smaller engine is also because of that revs higher at any given speed than the larger "Harley's"
If you try and run your 883 at the revs the larger engines turn at speed, you'll ruin the bottom end rod bearings really quick.

Be careful, and just enjoy your really nice ride,

#7 ·
Slip ons are the way to go. But realize that a Sportster isn't going to sound like a big twin, no matter what you do. The Sportster, besides being a smaller engine is also because of that revs higher at any given speed than the larger "Harley's"
If you try and run your 883 at the revs the larger engines turn at speed, you'll ruin the bottom end rod bearings really quick.

Be careful, and just enjoy your really nice ride,
I think not. Sportsters are a higher revving engine than big twins. Also the valve geometry is better. Also, a 45 degree single pin crank v-twin sounds like just that (given same cam & timing).

#6 ·
I have a 2016 Forty-Eight...I bought the V&H Grenades. They were pricey, around $800, but the volume and deep rumble they make sound better than most big twins I've heard. This thing really thumps! I had slip-ons for my V-Rod and that sounded pretty good to me, but when I started up the new Sporty my neighbor told me I wasn't allowed to start my bike early in the morning o_O

I also bought the FP3 tuner and tuned the bike through my smartphone, that was another $400. Not sure what your budget is, but this is the route I went and I love the sound these make. I installed the pipes myself, instructions came with the pipes. I'd never done it before and it was fairly straightforward.

#8 ·
Looks like I came to the right place! Awesome feedback. I figured I wouldn't get the same deep, rich sound as the big boys, but looking for something more than what the stock pipes offer. I appreciate all the advice and will check out your recommendations.

Thanks a lot!

#11 ·
I guess I'm just old school..
But on all the sporties I ever had/rode..
Nothing like an ole fashion pair of slash cut drag pipes!
Music to my ears!!

Keep us posted on your final decision

Reactions: JumpinJack
#12 ·
Rush mufflers on an Xl sound great.

XL has a sound no other Harley has. It's a 4 cam engine....not one or 2.

Reactions: JumpinJack
#19 ·
Given the same cam (and ign.timing) specs, how can 4 cams (or 1 or 2), make a 45 degree single crank pin engine sound different? The Harley "sound" is based on the uneven 315/405 degree firing order. I've heard a lot of Honda/Suz/Yam/Kaw "v twins" with loud pipes and they sound nothing like a Harley because they have dual crank pins and/or are not 45 degree "V".
Different cam and ignition timing can noticeably change the Harley idle sound, but it's still the same cadence. Or maybe I'm wrong, and LOUD is the Harley sound?

#14 ·
Higher RPMs on the XLH with my drag pipes are loud but not so much overwhelming. I go easy by the POLICE station when crossing the bridge to the Island. Then i piss everyone off when I gun the girl after the 25 MPH limit. It soon becomes 45 MPH Gulf of Mexico Drive

#16 ·
I think my favorite thing to do in life is to shift up one gear higher than I should be in and goose the throttle in a tunnel. BLAAAPPP! I can't resist it. I do it EVERY time and grin like a fool. The stock pipes just don't do that.

Reactions: FrankenTrike
#18 ·
Unless you are really, really thinking about doing engine work down the road (cams, porting, pistons, etc.) I'd 2nd those that said a pair of slip-ons will get you the sound you want. I've been satisfied with the V&H slip-ons I've used although the stock baffles (Straight Shots and Slash Cuts) were too loud for me and I installed the quiet baffles. Very good sound and your ears to hurt after and hour of riding.

I wouldn't put money into a full set of pipes unless I had plans to do other performance engine work down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.