Harley Davidson Forums banner

Decision on first motorcycle - Sportster vs Scout 60

12K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  Paul HD72 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am brand new to the forum and I am trying to make a decision on my first motorcycle. I am 45 years old, 5'9 170 and I have narrowed my choices down due to cost to the Sportster or the Indian Scout 60. Made in America is important to me so that's why I am trying to decide between these 2 bikes. I thought since I have never owned or ridden a motorcycle I would be better off getting a new one since I assume there is some type of warranty with them? I have read several reviews about both bikes including user comments and like anything, there is the good and bad. With the Harley I have read in numerous places that they leak a lot and they are rough on the backside when riding. I am not sure what to believe. Any help in the decision process would be appreciated.

#6 ·
Typically, the bike is provided with the beginner's course, which is a good thing. Better to drop their bike than yours. The course offered by St. Charles H-D uses little Honda 250s.

I strongly suggest taking the course and getting your license first. You'll feel far more comfortable trying to figure out which bike you like.

You'll also get a taste for riding, even if it's just in a parking lot. A lot of people think that they want to ride only to discover it's not really for them once that experience it. I'm not making any assumptions about you, but it happens.

#4 ·
Most of the courses I've seen provide a bike( usually a 250cc or there abouts) for new riders.
it's Very important, when investing a lot of money in a motorcycle, to make sure it's what you want. I've seen people buy the bike they were sure they wanted, then after learning to ride discover it wasn't what they wanted at all! Lost BIG BUCKS selling their new used bike at a real loss. Even if you need to buy an older used bike first, it will/could save you big bucks in the long run.

#5 ·
Most courses provide a bike. I wouldn't take a course from one that didn't. The only real way to determine which bike is best for you is to ride one. Decide which you like better aesthetically (I'd pick a sportster). Decide if you want customization ability and which one lends itself to what you want to customize. But if you just want people's opinions, I'll give mine. Pick the sportster.

#7 ·
If I were you I would start with a smaller used bike, save the money for the new bike.......after you have a riding season or two under your belt and you have total confidence in your abilities , then step up to a heavier more powerful bike

The new Indians will not have as many aftermarket parts available since they are really starting over,
Harley has so many aftermarket parts available you can build an entire bike.

Another thing to consider, if you break down on the road.....how many HD dealers compared to Indian dealers......how far do you have to push your bike to get it fixed.

#55 ·
If I were you I would start with a smaller used bike, save the money for the new bike.......after you have a riding season or two under your belt and you have total confidence in your abilities , then step up to a heavier more powerful bike
I agree with candyman1340. If you buy a new bike right from the start and have a difficult time with the size and weight, this will be a big disappointment and frustration for you.

The other real reason not to buy a new bike, and this is usually the case for many, should you drop the new bike, you will really feel like crap, spending all that money on "new" only to turn it into old very fast.

Spend less, buy a used bike first, get comfy with it, and with time, you'll know what to do next.

#8 ·
The garbage about Harleys is just that, garbage.

The ones that so called "leaked" were from the 70's and before.
They had automatic chain oilers, that's where that myth came from.

Here is where my bike sits over the winter:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

See any oil spots?

The people who say that are pathetic and jealous.

Reactions: Colt.45
#42 ·
I totally agree. I had a 1200 sportster for a long time and it just wasn't that comfortable to ride. I'm 5-9 170 and the small tank just don't work for long cruising. I also bought the switchback and am in love with the power and its handling. I am also 50 but have ridden track bikes and cruisers. If you want to try the sportster there are plenty of good used ones for cheap. And like others have said ride for a couple years then move up to a bigger more comfortable bike

#12 ·
Yep what he said. You can get a old shadow 600 under 2k and sell it the next year for what you paid for it. You feel much better dropping a 2k bike than somethings worth a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
This

I bought a 2003 Yamaha Vstar 1100 for 2200 after I got divorced and was allowed to have a motorcycle again. I rode it for 2 years. Spent about $450 in maintenence and adding music and lighting. Sold it for $2400.
Very easy bike to ride. Low center of gravity, not too heavy.

I'm twice your size. There are a million vstar 650s on Craigslist. They look like the soft tail.

#13 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for the input. I just left the dealer in St. Charles and because I am a veteran the course is free. I have to bring in my dd-214 and then I can sign up for the course. I understand what everyone is saying about buying a used cheap bike and riding it for a year. I might do that, I really did like the Dyna's they had on the show room floor. They had several used bikes too but the price difference between the new and used wasn't significant.

#16 ·
I am definitely going to take the course first and get my license that way I can test drive as many bikes as I need to to find the right fit. What does "Soft Tail" mean? Also, it looks like if I were to deck out a Fat Boy I would be looking right around 20k+. I have seen some on craigslist that are like 2 years old, already with the addons I was looking for for like 12k give or take. My only concern is I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles - would I be taking a huge risk buying used from a private party?

#17 ·
Ron, I didn't know anything about motorcycles either. I was gonna buy used in case I dropped it or worse. I mean it does make sense. But I ended up buying new and I got a 2yr prepaid service contract. beware though it is not a good deal if you aren't going to put lots of miles on the bike. I commute 90 miles a day. I went new and prepaid service because i knew I would put the miles on it and i wanted it serviced correctly.

#19 ·
Just getting back to checking your thread, and yes I think you'll be able to find good used wheel. Look for low miles, and polished chrome
no rust anywhere, means it was atleast loved. Check Kelly Blue book for pricing. My bike accordingly isn't worth half of what I've got into it, so if you find one similar, it's a steal. Once again good luck.
Add recent pic. DYNA Switchback.

Attachments

#20 ·
I'd like to point out that I rode my bike for 3 years before I laid it down. I only laid it down because of a patch of gravel that I didn't see and had minimal damage. Buy the bike you want. If you buy a crappy bike that you don't like, chances are you're not going to ride as much. Buy the bike that you want and that you can afford. The good thing is that Harley Finance will run deals that if you take the Rider's course you will also get a decent deal on the purchase of a new bike. Depending on what you get, that may be a great deal.

If you choose to go used bike first, get an older model of the bike you want. If you decide you really like Dyna's, buy a 6 year old Dyna. You'll get used to the ride, learn how to upgrade, how to maintain, etc. If you go buy a honda, but you want a Harley, you're wasting your money. I've known a great deal of new riders that buy brand new and never have any trouble, never lay it down. Why waste your time on money on something you don't want because something MIGHT happen?

#21 ·
also, Harley's did leak; alot. Emphasis on DID. That was back in AMF era in the 70's. They leaked on the showroom floor, rattled your bones and could fall apart very easily. That was because of AMF's push to make more bikes and not focus on the quality as much. Once they got out, that pretty much stopped. Harley's are smooth, fuel injected, and are top quality. They are also easy to maintain really.

#28 ·
For sure AMF`s quantity over quality way of doing business had a lot to do with it.

But another major problem was the antiquated gaskets/gasket material being used at the time.

Think it was Dave63 who made a very interesting post about it.

Thanks to companies like Jim`s and Cosmetic, gasket science has finally joined the 21`s century.

Now, if a HD leaks it is either poor owner maintenance, cheap gaskets, both.

#22 ·
I have been riding my whole life. Started with a Kawi 250 2 stroke,a Benelli, a Montessa Scorpion, Suzuki 425, Yamaha Virago 750, Honda Shadow ACE 750. Then I bought an old 85 FLHT, fell in love with Harleys ever since. No other bike has the soul and sound of that v twin. It just makes me smile just hearing it. My present ride is an '03 Softail Heritage, V&H Long Shots, Mustang seat, Captain Itch crotch cooler. The best part of my day is riding that old girl back and forth to work. That, and riding along Ocean Parkway and watching the sunset.. Heading to the Iron Adventure run in Vermont later in July! I hear there are some nice roads up that way.

#23 ·
If you want a Harley, get a f<?($ng Harley. If you borrow the money to buy it, it's going to insured anyway.

I'm glad the folks in St. Chas are taking a care of vets. I like that dealership. I lived in St. Chas for 18 years. Bought two bikes there and enough other crap to pay for a third. Good dealership.

#24 ·
So, I found out I have to take this course on the Illinois side for it to count towards my Illinois license. The 2 Harley dealers on the Illinois side don't appear to offer it but I can take the state class out at SIUE. Really looking forward to learning and getting my license so I can go test drive these various models.

#27 ·
I agree with quote above, get the Harley or you'll be sorry. I remember older kid in neighborhood got one in 1957, and I wanted one.
Old enough in '67 and found a '49 panhead. Envy of my neighborhood at that time. To me not a fashion statement, just that no other Brand is a Harley. Hell you don't even sit on other bikes the same.

#30 ·
I'm in my 50's and started riding about 10 years ago. I started with a Yamaha 950 and then bought my Sportster 1200T. While I owned and rode the Yamaha I was thinking about upgrading to a bigger bike. I was looking at the Yamaha Raider and was about to buy one when I decided to just look in the Harley dealership. Well needless to say I wound up buying a Sportster and love it. I'm not saying other bikes aren't as good, maybe even better in some aspects, but there is definitely something different about a Harley... the look, (I really don't like the look of the Scout), the ride, the feel, the handling, to me it's better than what the Raider has to offer. Besides all that, 90% of the other bikes I see on the road are Harley's. All those other riders must know something. My next bike will be a Street Bob, but that won't happen for a couple of more years. And by the way, my Sportster is very easy to maintain. Oil changes are a breeze and I do all other scheduled maintenance myself using the Harley Service Manual.

#31 ·
well you asked
get the bike you want take the rider course even if it doesn't count towards your license
it will help you with lots of knowledge for me I had HDs when they leaked never card it was always the bike for me and as far as a dyna goes they are a good bike and I have took them all over never a issue you did not mention if your going to do much 2 up riding if so the you might want a touring model good luck and keep us posted on your choice one other thought if you go used there are some very good deals out there also you can still get extended warranty on used bike have to check the details I belive there's a mileage and age limit

#33 ·
There is not a single punctuation in this entire post. Not one. It's punctuationless. Entirely devoid of puncts.

I'm not being a grammar nazi here. I'm saying that posts like this are hard goddamned work to read. No judgement of the author.... Just a complaint. Let's have a little more effort on your part. I'm tired. I've been working all day. Don't make me decipher your stream of consciousness.

#32 ·
As far as performance a stock Scout 60 will out perform a stock Sportster but it's a different kind of riding. The Scout is looking to be revved up like a sport bike while the Sportster is more the low rpm, high torque type of cruiser style riding.

As far as styling, the styling of the Scout is of the love/hate type. You're either going to think it's really cool or downright ugly. On the other hand you've got a lot of styling options with the Sportster.

Beyond that is the issue of after market options, and in that respect there is no question that with a Harley you have a vast assortment of options for customizing a Sportster versus the Scout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.