Harley Davidson Forums banner

Is it safe to assume that...

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Wagonpeddler 
#1 ·
The OEM Shocks that come with the 2006 model is not for 2up riding?

#8 ·
I think they were shorter too. Except for Shaquille O'Neil.

#6 ·
Most OEM shocks aren't good for riding period :rollin but they do the job. Make adjustments on the shocks for weight load. If you ride double a lot use the heavier setting. They have a wrench for them were you can make the adjustment lighter or heavier depending on riding single or double. I use large channel lock pliers

#7 ·
Here's a tip..... if you don't have tools, you can turn the preload setting ring on the shock with a good pair of leather gloves, with the rear of the lifted up to get the weight off, and the shock partially extended.

Reactions: Maxz695
#9 ·
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was obviously the bike kept bottoming out on rough roads. So of course it was worse riding 2up. My Girl and I weigh a combined total of 290lbs. I took a look at the shocks and found that it was set on the first notch. I picked up a spanner wrench and as soon as I get a chance I'll make the adjustment. I'm just not sure which will be best setting without adjusting then ride and repeat. The fact that I have saddle bags and can't remove the long bolts out with a proper jack it would be inconvenient to use that method. I just got the bike so I don't have all the tools I'll be needing just yet.

I know most bikers were born weighing 290lbs :grin but anyone with a similar total 2up weight? If so, what's your sporty set at?

#10 ·
I bottomed out with me and my GF and she is heavier than me. I am 180 lbs. I moved them to the highest setting and she hasn,t ridin with me again since so I,ll be lowering them at least one notch. Kinda hard on the keester where they are set now. I would suggest second to highest to start and maybe it will be just right.

#13 ·
So I made the adjustment to the 2nd to last notch and went for a ride. The ride seemed a lot better as I looked for the not so great roads to ride. Trust me you don't have to look hard around here for bad roads. Now I just have to wait to see how it rides 2 up.

#19 · (Edited)
Bwaa Haaaa I like em big so>>> I gues she is skinny next to you like my boy AKA Tiny back in the day GRHS. Nicest guy left standing downing a 5th of Jack and still hang with me as the rest had gone to Camping heaven. He said I like you I kept the fire going all night for him. He was about 6"8 and 350 Lbs

#20 ·
I have tried different settings on the rear shocks, but it seems like the front forks take the brunt of the bumps in the road...agree?
Therefore, is there an adjustment for the front forks? Bike has about 12,000 miles....have not yet changed the fork oil. My question...does the fork oil have any damping effect on the forks, or just provide lubrication for the springs?
Thanks.

#21 ·
Front forks are shock absorbors, and springs together, just like the rear, only inside out. The only adjustments you have are to change springs, and or change the weight of the oil. The oil does a lot more than lubricate. The oil does the damping of the spring. Controlling the rebound and compression rate of change(moment). You can play with the springs and the viscosity of the oil to try and "fine tune" the forks. Best to do a lot of study first, or find a really knowledgeable mechanic first. You can really mess up if you just jump in head first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.