Harley Davidson Forums banner

New 07 Nightster Owner

7K views 50 replies 8 participants last post by  ZombieOutlaw 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2007 Nightster that is in need of some love and attention. It is the all black paint scheme and has low miles. The previous owner seemed to not take care of the bike. It needs a Paint Correction done, there are rust spots on the chrome and mirror stalks, and it is giving me the P0652 DTC. When I showed up to look at the bike it needed to be jumped. When I got it home the battery was DEAD. I put it on the Smart Charger and it now starts up without being jumped. The charger showed the battery as good, however it looks like the battery is the one it rolled off the production line with. I went out riding around the house and the battery light along with the engine light would come on together for a minute then go away. It did this a few times. I got back to the house, shut off the bike, gave it a minute, then started it back up. I am treating the bike as never having had servicing and everything being original. I am running some Seafoam in the gas and oil before I do a change. So I have some work to do before it is ready for some road trips. The plan is a new battery, voltage regulator, plugs, coils, wires, oil change, soap, wax, and elbow grease.

Do I seem to be on the right track as far as the approach to getting this thing back to its former glory?

I am hoping to have a V&H FuelPak within the next week in preparation for a new exhaust.

See less See more
#8 ·
2/320th 1BCT 07-10

I ordered a Cycle Electric Voltage Regulator. I am trying to decide on a battery and whether I should try my hand at the Strator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
Changed the oil and battery today. Hopefully my voltage regulator and exhaust get here soon. I am trying to decide what I am going to do about rims before I plunk down money on rims.

I may get the stockers powdercoated in a satin silver, gunmetal, or matte black.

#13 ·
Good news and bad to report.

The good is that I got the voltage regulator, plugs, and exhaust changed. The Magnaflow Legacy Series sounds great. The bike fires up easier and idles smoother.

The bad, **** me! The T30 bolt for the rear brake control snapped off. I did not get a chance to ride any. I now have to figure out what to do.

I love the sound of the Magnaflow! It is not much louder. The plugs looked rough. The valves looked like they need some Seafoam ran across them.

Any recommendations on the T30 bolt?

#14 ·
Here is the current hold up now.

#15 ·
New rod ordered from Harley.

#17 ·
Taking the bike to the shop for new rubber and to replace the brake rod lever.

#18 ·
Bike is at the shop getting looked over, new Michelin Commander IIs, the brake rod replaced, and exhaust lined up.

The next round of upgrades will be stainless brake lines, new intake (HD Bobber style), Progressive 12" rear setup, Progressive front springs, and new fork and brake fluid.

#19 ·
The wife and I took a run to Cycle Gear the other day to get her some stuff plus I was ready for a new helmet. I was rocking the AFX-90 Dare. I wanted the Scorpion EXO R410 in Matte Black as I have an idea for some airbrush work. Ended up getting her one also along with some gloves for her.

Reactions: whiskey101
#20 · (Edited)
The bike is back from the shop. I have new Michelin Commander IIs. The clutch was inspected and adjusted. The brake rod issue was fixed. A new spring was placed on the kickstand. The bike axles were cleaned and greased. And they inspected it.

Next round is suspension and brake lines.

#22 ·
Put about 35 miles on her today. Took it to my barber appointment. I am easing into her, since I suspect she was not cared for before.

#23 ·
Got new mirrors put on, the Drag Speialties Teardrops (long). The new gas cap should be here tomorrow. I will probably order the turn signal relocation kit this week and the V&H FP3 the end of the month.

I have put about 120 miles on it since I got it back from the shop.

#28 ·
Removed the lower belt guard and front reflectors. Received the front seat rings, just waiting for the rear shocks.

Sent from the FBI van.

#29 ·
Time for a hip and knee replacement.

#30 ·
Going to pick the bike back up tomorrow. The suspension is on, new fork fluid, new seals, brake system flushed and new fluid, and a paint correction has been done.

I also ordered the V&H FP3.

#31 ·
Teaser before and after pics sent to me from the guys that did the suspension work and paint correction on my bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.