Harley Davidson Forums banner

Cracked motor mount

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  candyman1340 
#1 ·
Was tinkering with the sportster today and noticed the top mount right besides the air cleaner is cracked all the way around. Anyone ever heard of this before ? And how should I fix? Jb weld?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Take it to a competent welder. NO JB. Tell him to clamp his ground cable as close to the weld as he can.

EDIT: I didn't see the pic. I thought you meant frame, not engine casting. Head has to come off to be Heliarced.

#4 ·
Is that just like TIG welding.. and does it actually have to come off. Spoke with a couple local guys most said don't worry about it, said when that motor gets used on customer builds like a chopper that those mounts are even used. I just worry it putting strain on the mount on the other side and breaking it

#6 ·
I'm not a welder, so I get the "applications" mig/tig/heliarc jumbled up. But Yes it should come off to go a proper job. And yes, some choppers don't use the top frame mount, but there must have been quite a bit of pressure to break yours? Loose motor mounts? What year is your bike?

#9 ·
MICHIGAN...The state asked us to increase our taxes for the roads, we turned them down. They then passed a bill increasing our gas tax and car registration fees, against our wishes.......for the roads of course. Here is the kicker, $460 million in road tax increases but the road fund only sees and extra $160 million. They diverted 300 million that was already in the fund to the general fund. They are nothing but criminals. The state has a Republican Governor and a Republican controlled legislature, I am a Trump person but these guys in Michigan are really bad. In the 1960s a Detroit paper ran an expose' on how Michigan spent its road taxes. They found 50% went for roads and the other 50% was spent on social programs. Beleive me, nothing has changed in 60 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.