Harley Davidson Forums banner

Neutral hard to find

66K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  myivmibr 
#1 ·
First Harley- Is neutral hard to find on all harleys? Is there a trick to it?

#2 ·
That is a difficult question to answer with a blanket yes or no. Some people just never get the hang of finding neutral. Clutch adjustment is a big factor, if there is drag, you will pull too hard and "miss" N. Being new, can make it tough to determine if you have some clutch drag.
A bit of a trick is to slightly release then pull the lever all the way in, and nudging the lever to N. Or try getting it in neutral while the wheels are still turning.

#10 ·
It would be a costly fix, but after doing some performance mods, I needed a little better clutch. I installed the AIM-SDR (centrifugal) clutch plate.
Finding Neutral now is a breeze. Just falls right in "every" time. Depending on your application +/- $300.

#12 ·
Try running lighter oil in Primary. I use Lucas motorcycle oil clutch compatible semi synthetic10-40. Helps eliminate 1st gear clunk, clutch plates have cleaner release once its warmed up on cold days. Pull clutch in rev it a bit return to idle 1st will drop in smoothly most times with no clunk, Finding neutral is no problem with proper clutch adjustment. Shifting up and down is very smooth.

#16 ·
Adjusting your lever or linkage for your upper foot and type of footwear will help with the lift distance making it a bit easier to find neutral. This depends on what type controls you have Forwards or mid

#21 ·
I know that this will sound funny/weird but I had an issue finding Neutral, but only when the bike was stopped. Meaning if I was coming to a light and downshifting... I could find it no problems... That is until I installed forward controls and for some reason - I can pop it into neutral real easy - not sure what the difference it other than maybe foot angle?