11K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  BigDoo 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for ear plugs?

#2 ·
These... in the tour pack for any distance slab riding

3M Reusable Corded Earplugs (3-Pack)-90716-3-10DC - The Home Depot

Also keep plenty of these around

3M Orange Disposable Ear Plugs (80-Pack)-92800-80-6DC - The Home Depot

better deals to be had but just used the Depot for ease of getting for anyone interested.

BTW, I also use the foam disposables under my muffs when tossing lead down range.

You can also find the mold-able style, but I tend to loose things so I'd rather by 200 than 1 pair.

Reactions: priell3 and Jimmers
#20 ·
These... in the tour pack for any distance slab riding
]

3M Orange Disposable Ear Plugs (80-Pack)-92800-80-6DC - The Home Depot

better deals to be had but just used the Depot for ease of getting for anyone interested.

BTW, I also use the foam disposables under my muffs when tossing lead down range.

You can also find the mold-able style, but I tend to loose things so I'd rather by 200 than 1 pair.
I also use these for lawn work. Reduces noise by 32db and comfortable. I wear ear buds and a mp3 player on my bike. Gotta have my tunes.

#10 ·
I use the corded urethane type when mowing the lawn. Sometimes they get uncomfortable. Has anyone used the corded foam push in type, as advertised on the link Candy Man provided? I never could get the standard foam ones in place properly so that they stayed in place.

#12 ·
Suggest you reach over your head and pull up on the top of an ear to straighten out your ear canal then insert plug and keep holding the top of your ear up and also holding the plug in position for about 20 seconds or so to allow it to expand back out from the rolling it between your thumb and forefinger. You do roll the damn thing a bit to make it skinny before trying to insert it don't you?

#11 ·
I have tried numerous different types and prefer either the orange tapered foam plugs or the yellow foam cylindrical ones already posted about best. Not long ago bought a container of the orange ones from MidwayUSA shooting supply place. They label the orange ones as "disposable" but I use them over and over. Kinda tricky to get them in where I want them. I roll them between thumb and forefinger then insert and keep them pushed in for about 20 seconds so they plump back out. All the way in is too much noise reduction for me as I can't hear my music so after I get them in and plumped back out with the bike idling and my music playing I gently pull them back out just a little bit at a time till I can hear my music turned up loud but the exhaust noise is still reasonably reduced.

Oh, yeah, couple of times I have pushed the damn things in so far I couldn't get them back out with my fingers! Now carry tweezers in a glove box. :laughing

#13 ·
I always have a hand full of what ever they have at work.
Funny thing is once I left a pair in my pants pocket and the came out of the wash like brand new. lol

#16 ·
I like those corded reusable ones too. I pull the cords out of them however cause I don't like it on my neck. I bought about a dozen from Amazon a couple of years ago in one box. The little case they come with is handy also. I used to be nervous that I couldn't hear my motor, but I got over that when Dave63 told me I 'd know something was wrong right away, hearing it or not. Now it makes so many weird noises I don't want to hear it!

#18 ·
You do roll the damn thing a bit to make it skinny before trying to insert it don't you?
Yes I do. I'll try reaching over my head and pulling on my ear and see if that helps at all. I've tried a bunch of different ones, just never been able to get them in place properly. That's why I liked the urethane push in ones.

#35 ·
I got some of those Mack's silicone one's you roll into a ball and place over the ear canal and spread out. I used them today and they work well. 22db rating which is not as much as most foam type. I can hear the radio through my headset and traffic when it's close. On the way home today I didn't put them in and for the first time realized how much wind noise there is. I don't have the ringing in my ears after the ride either. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

#39 ·
I've been using Mack's silicone ear plugs. Get plastic case of them at Walmart for less than $7.00 They last quite a while and work well for riding. A 22dbl reduction which is about right for being on the road.

#41 ·
Ear plugs..........?

Hey guys
I have a question ........why wear ear plugs? If your bike is too loud for you then how obnoxious is it to others? I am a long time rider but only on my 3rd Harley and just curious? It just seems odd to take a quiet bike, make it loud [to sound good] and then plug your ears because it is too loud...? Why not just make it louder than stock but not to the point where you can't stand to hear it as you ride?
Colt.45

#42 ·
Hey guys
I have a question ........why wear ear plugs? If your bike is too loud for you then how obnoxious is it to others? I am a long time rider but only on my 3rd Harley and just curious? It just seems odd to take a quiet bike, make it loud [to sound good] and then plug your ears because it is too loud...? Why not just make it louder than stock but not to the point where you can't stand to hear it as you ride?
Colt.45
My wearing them has absolutely nothing to do with exhaust noise.
My RKC has bone stock exhaust.
Mine is to cut down wind noise.
I have tinnitus (ringing in my ears)
Wind noise makes it worse.

#43 ·
BigDoo
I can understand their use for that. I have noticed the wind quite a bit as well when wearing a beanie.I often wear a 3/4 though and am not bothered by it then.
Colt.45

Reactions: BigDoo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.