Harley Davidson Forums banner

Getting ragged on by HarDley owners

19K views 155 replies 61 participants last post by  GrumpyOldGreg 
#1 ·
So this weekend my dad and I went to Hot Springs Arkansas for the rally. It was a great time and great ride. Friday night after the concert we waited for the majority of people to leave and then we left. 2 drunk guys come up saying I'm riding my dad's girlfriend's bike (my dad rides a Road King) and of course since they were drunk and just not worth my time I asked them what they ride; 1 says, quietly I might add "I ride a Honda Shadow" The other says "Valkyrie! You know what that is??" They said 1 or 2 more things about how a sporty is not a real bike and and all and finally left. The next morning on the poke run, we spot the Valkyrie, fully set up with the training wheel trike set up. :laugh:laugh What a bunch of suckers. I love my sporty. It's funny how the only guys who really give you a bunch of hell about riding a sporty are the guys who don't own a Harley. :loco

#13 ·
HD's not doing as well as they used to with resale my friend. If its at a dealer, they get more than private sale, but the market is pretty saturated with them.

Still, HD has a better resale. My 2005 FLHTCU was about $19K new. I paid $11.7 for a 6 year old bike. That's a pretty hard drop to me..... but it also had 31K on it.

And 5 year old XL 883/1200's selling for half price....

Sadly, my friends 2006 Kawi Nomad was $15K new and it sells now on Craigslist for $6K for a 2008.

THAT sucks.......for him. :D

#12 ·
Originally Posted by XL1200R<br />
<br />
<br />
Take a 39mm fork dyna and a sportster side by side. They don't look much different.....
<br />
<br />
Yeah...if you only look at the forks maybe. :D The Dyna is so much wider and longer. I've owned both. It's like saying that when Halle Berry is next to Oprah, they both look a like. <br />
<br />
However....back to our Honda and Kawi riding friends: There's 2 kinds of people in the cruiser motorcycle world- People that ride Harleys..... and people that drink to get drunk and forget they bought a half plastic wanna-be designed bike that looks so much like a Harley, they have to explain to everyone why they bought it, instead of buying a Harley. Which they always seem to feel the need to have to do.....<br />
<br />
Wanna piss one of them off? Ask them "Wow....is that a Harley?" They all get that same disgusted look right before saying "No....". <br />
<br />
That's when you get to hear the 40 minute disertation of how their XYZ Jap bike is soooo much better than a Harley and why they bought it. Its like they have to justify it to themselves every timme the subject comes up.<br />
<br />
Try it.....its fun......
See I just disagree. I don't think they look that much bigger. I have parked next to tons of them. That being said, I do have the biggest looking Sportster and I am comparing it to the smallest dyna (maybe) so it is a little skewed. But I know I am a minority here so I'll shut up lol.

I dunno maybe I'm full of it. All I know is I like to ride!!!

#14 ·
See I just disagree. I don't think they look that much bigger. I have parked next to tons of them. That being said, I do have the biggest looking Sportster and I am comparing it to the smallest dyna (maybe) so it is a little skewed. But I know I am a minority here so I'll shut up lol.

I dunno maybe I'm full of it. All I know is I like to ride!!!
Hahahahaha......they're close..... I just see them different I guess after owning both and working on both. I know guys that call Dynas girls bikes too....

Haters be hatin'.....

#16 ·
I knew this story was going to get posted. The Sporty in question can be seen in this photo on top of Hot Springs Mountain. It's the one behind the men's bikes my FXDC and SportyTX's Dad's RK.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

Attachments

Reactions: deceptive
#17 ·
Honda "Fury".

The same emotion you feel when you realize it only LOOKS like a Harley.....:D

#49 · (Edited)
Holy Crapp; that's the same way I built mine back in 1970. right down to the six bend handle bars, dual head lights, springer front end, king & queen seat with the same sissy bar.

SO FOR ME, IT'S PERFECT. by the way, where did you buy the bike? What year is it. Is it my old bike??????

#21 ·
I think in the 60's and 70's, there were more Sportys running around than Big twins. I only say that because so many of them got modded and so many were made. They were really hot bikes. Fast, small and powerful.

#28 ·
I find it ironically funny that not only do Jap bike risers have to justify owning a jap bike that looks like a Harley, but every time someone calls a Sporty a girls bike, we end up with 22 posts justifying owning a sporty or how they're NOT girls bikes......:D

#29 ·
Anyone, and I mean everyone who owns ANY bike or no bike at all, that makes fun of anyone else's bike, very often has issues with what they ride. They want something else, or feel lesser because of what they ride, or got ripped off, or got made fun of, or are settling. If you are satisfied with your ride, you are generally impressed and pleased by anyone riding what THEY want to ride regardless of what that may be.

My $.02.

#30 ·
Stop defending the sportster. It speaks strongly enough for itself.

#62 ·
Damn right.

You got it sir. I know mine does. I love it, I ride it all the time, and believe it or not, I don't get the girls bike comments around here. About everybody marvels at the paint, artwork, chrome, and polished aluminum on mine, that I maintain pretty meticulously, and give me high compliments on it. I have started small steps customizing it now, with the latest being a big, bad, mean sounding Thunderheader, and that made it a totally diffrent bike. It really adds to the machine, and I love it that much more now. I've owned and ridden Hondas in the past, and I never made fun of another mans bike, Harley or Yamaha, or whatever. Heck, if you ride a bike, I think you're alright; one of my people, ya know? The Sportster suits me just right. I love it. There are other Harley's I like also, and I recently got infatuated with a 2012 XR1200, and was seriously looking at trading. Then my better sense took over, and I decided to hold pat and keep what I have. It don't have payments, the XR would. And I just spent $230 on a new rear tire, and $400 on a Thunderheader. XR maybe in my future, but for this year and likely next, I'll keep riding and rubbing my cool purple Sporty, with zero regrets. I fit right in with my buddies, two with Softails, one with a fatboy, one with a VROD, and on and on. They all have their place. Ok, my rant and philosophy is over. I gotta post up pics of my new Thunderheader as promised. And anybody thinking about one, get one! It's a very nice piece. Looks and sounds great, and I simply am astounded at how much better my bike runs with it. It feels like a diffrent motor. Next for me is a good ignition system, and then if money allows, a 1200 kit this winter. I can't imagine how it would run then, but I hope to find out. Later!
Proud Sportster Rider.

#31 ·
Gig, I love how you put in "the sporty can be seen behind the men's bikes" LOL. Overall, I could give a chit if people call it a girls ride, I love my sporty it's mine and paid for and runs like a charm. My main point of posting was to point out how funny and awesome it was to have the guy rag on my "girl's bike" and see him riding a bike with training wheel trike set up.

#38 ·
Spoitstah, I love spoitstahs. I grew up on a spoitstah, I've always wanted another spoitstah
Hahahahaha......great weekend.:laugh

#37 ·
I sure wish I'd have kept mine around . It was just so much fun to ride . A different kind of fun from that on my WG .
Like riding a full size man's bicycle with a huge V-TWIN engine , so easy to flick back & forth in the curves and sitting on it looking down you can see everything about the engine & frame , very basic fundamental & essential ! Its so narrow & light it just feels fast .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.