Harley Davidson Forums banner

My Mods Thread - 2013 Forty-Eight

194K views 502 replies 60 participants last post by  Jeffforty 
#1 ·
In the tradition of other threads where I document the changes... Here it goes.

Details on the bike: 2013 HD Forty-Eight in Ember Red Sunglo
Purchased date: June 8, 2013
Miles on odometer: 6

Photos of the bike when I got it (just like any other stock 48 )

Accessories purchased with sale of the bike (not installed by dealer). I will do all the install of these parts as soon as they get in and will share photos of the process. Bolt-on stuff, so nothing too complicated (I hope! ) :

Line QTY Description
1- 1 - D&D Bobcat Exhaust Black Pipes w/Carbon Fiber Sleeve
2- 1 - Roland Sands Design Velocity Stack – Black
3- 1 - HD XR 1200 Left Front Brake Caliper (improve braking and looks) Part No. 42943-08
4- 1 - Seat Option 1: HD Solo Spring Saddle – Brown Leather Part No. 54072-10
5- 1 - HD Spring Seat Installation Kit for Seat Option 1 – Part No. 54074
6- 1 - HD Sportster Front Spoiler – Black
7- 1 - HD SE 10mm Phat Spark Plug Wires – Orange
8- 1 - HD Flush-Mount Fuel Cap – Black
9- 1 - HD Oil Dipstick with Temp Gauge
10- 2 - HD Rocker Box Cover - Wrinkled Black
11- 1 - HD Sportster Drag Bars Part No. 55800035
12- 1 - HD Chopped Fender Edge Light Part No. 73420-11
13- 1 - HD Swingarm Pivot Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 47625-09
14- 1 - HD Shock Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 540000017
15- 1 - HD Bar & Shield Rear Axle Cover Kit – Black Part No. 43013-09A
16- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Air Cleaner Trim Part No. 61400165
17- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Timer Cover Part No. 25600025
18- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Derby Cover Part No. 25700255
19- 1 - HD Front Axle Nut Cover – Black Part No. 43428-09
20- 1 - HD Bullet Turn Signal Lens Kit – Smoked Part No. 69208-09
21- 1 - HD Service Manual
22- 1 - HD Leather Jacket JKT-Roadway Leather Part No. 98015-10VM

Pending items:

1. Grips. Have not decided. Need something that would work with bar-end mirrors. Looking at Rizoma's Grips - Contact style in black or something from Joker's

2. Bar-end mirrors - Have not decided. Looking at Rizoma's Spy-R80 in black or something from Joker's

3. Swing-arm saddlebags. I love the looks of the LaRosa in natural leather with the fuel canister... but some reviews mentioned that the HD bag with the additional back support seem to be better. So still undecided. But I do want at least one bag (two would be best) for the swing-arm with a fuel canister (inside the bag or outside, don't care). With 2.1 gal of fuel, best to be prepared.

4. Foot pegs - Have not decided

5. Rear LED signal lights from Custom Dynamics and might do the front with the Dynamic Ringz (LED Driving Lights/Turn Signals)

6. PIAA Extreme White Plus bulb to replace stock bulb (can't seem to justify spending on LED headlight...and these work great in my RGC)

7. Rear shocks. This is based on many threads on the lack of a good suspension from the factory. Need to see what would work best. Lot's of reading to do. I need to find out part number for the shocks from the Roadking?? that fits the 48?? Anyway, work to do here, but would like something that can take my fatarse and not break my back while going over bad roads.

8. Rizoma front pulley belt cover and insert. Still trying to locate the insert (cover that goes on the pulley, orange part that you see in the photo)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Pretty sure I left something out... will update as I do the install of the parts.

See less See more
#43 ·
I know... but I am split between the two. I am happy I was able to the the Cafe seat for the price I did. Now I can switch between the two and completely change the looks of the bike from time to time.

Like I tell my wife, it is good to have choices... :rofl: may she never see this post :spar

#45 ·
Dealer called... a few more parts came in... made it just in time before they closed for the day:

Service Manual

Spoiler... now installed

I need to give the bike a good wash...

So now I am only missing the install of the rear shocks... Still waiting for the exhaust to arrive, the front Progressive Monotubes... almost there...

#46 ·
I was given these pegs to test... installed now. Looking for something that looks nice and grabs like crazy... how is it that the ad for Pirelli says? Power is nothing without control... they must grab. Will see how these work after a few rides.

A minor mod, but finishes off the tag better... black tag frame.

And a few more photos of the bike... need to wash it. After riding through the storm yesterday, there is sand and dirt everywhere!

#52 ·
You got good fore sight bro. Too many people just bolt on all kinds of mods and it looks horrible when done. I like that seat way better and it is going to flow better with the exhaust you are getting and the chin fairing is going to set the seat and exhaust off perfect.

Im goimg to put a chin fairing on mine some day but they are too expensive for my blood. I will get them off a wrecked bike some day lol.

Anyway you got great sight to know all these parts will make the bike look better. Looking forward to when the exhaust gets on it.....

#47 ·
I actually like the café style seat.

If you want more options, I believe you are pretty close to the Ormond, FL Corbin showroom. An hour or so, maybe? You may have been there a time or two before, so maybe I am preaching to the choir.

I have found that I am really digging their driver backrest along with the firm seat comfort. I believe they do custom work as well. I am 5'7" and shrinking as well, They made a modification to my seat to help me, but it was not a reduced reach. It is called a nose job where they don't skin all the foam off, but taper the nose a bit to help with reach to the ground. Taking first long haul tomorrow with the seat. I have been using it daily, and really like it a lot.

#55 · (Edited)
180 Rear Tire Conversion

Not an immediate mod... just documenting here to have the information for when the time comes. Most likely I will do this when it comes time to replace the rear tire.

(2) 9276A BEARING (NON-ABS)
(1) 41430-09A WHEEL ASSEMBLY, STEEL 17 IN., W/O BEARINGS AND SLEEVES (BLACK)
(1) 41242-08 SPACER, AXLE - RIGHT, NON-ABS
(1) 40947-08A SPACER, AXLE - LEFT
(1) 43905-08 SLEEVE, SPACER BEARING
(1) 41319-10 RIM, STRIP 17 IN.
(1) 41314-10 INNER TUBE, TIRE 17 IN.
(1) 41123-79 CAP, VALVE
(1) 54321-85 NUT for valve
(1) 43200011 TIRE, 17 IN. 180/5517,RR,CO-BRAND (Michelin Scorcher 11-180)

Only thing I need to confirm is if I need to get the Axel or if the Axel from the 48 can be used?

(1) 41114-08 AXLE, REAR, HOLLOW

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

And from another forum member that has done the modification. This is a bolt on change. Pretty cool.

Yes this conversion will work on a nightster as I'm doing it to my wifes 2012. The wheel, bearings and spacer ( between bearings) are all OE HD parts from a 2013 dyna street bob which cost me about 300.00 plus the tire. It really was an easy swap, however if you over think it you'll get frustrated with measurements etc. Remember you cannot use the tire measurements off the rim as they are considerably wider, everything will clear as evidenced by the fact that I did it.
If you look close you can see the 3mm spacer between the swing arm and caliper mount

Edit - I had overlooked the mention of the 3mm spacer between swingarm and caliper :

#56 ·
Doing the tire conversion will set it all off. It is going to look so much better if you slap that bad boy on there!

Im the other way around on my tires though. I like the oldschool kool look of a 130 on the rear, but on your bike that tire is going to put that missing touch on there you would look for if you kept the stock tires on it.

I hear ya on the rain! Past 3 weeks I have riden maybe 3-4 times when it was not raining at some point in the day.

What brand of tire you thinking about?

#58 ·
What brand of tire you thinking about?
Same one he used - Michelin Scorcher 11- 180/55/17

I have to find the correct part number for that one... the part number listed up there is for the 31...

#61 ·
Swingarm Bags...

I have been going back and forth on what swingarm bag to get... I was not able to just get the HD support... they sell those as a complete package. So out of luck there. I am going to try to replicate the HD frame support on my own...

As far as the bags go. I love the looks of the Lick's bag:

But also love what LaRosa has done with the fuel can attached to it... so I wanted something close to the one above but with the fuel can attached...

Yesterday I was on chat with LaRosa trying to figure out a color to closely match the one above since they do not have a perfect match for it. They offered to do a one-off and they are sending me a set (right/left with Fuel and fork bag). Will see how that goes.

Also plan to get some of that (starting to search today) plastic to put inside and maintain the shape of the bag over time.

I almost gave up and was going with the black one... but I just wanted something in a brown shade... black would have been nice... I hope I don't regret my choice of color... :blahblah:

#62 ·
I was looking at bags like that too, but I was looking on Jafrum.com. They have a black one in a synthetic leather for $90.00. I had leather ones on and my riding habit of not giving an eff if its raining destroyed them. No amount of waterproofing could save them. The cycles of being soaked then baked in the sun destroyed them lol. I wont mind a fake leather if it lasts longer.

#64 ·
So I am looking for some 5/32" OD tubing to finish relocating the filler valve for the rear shocks... I can't believe that I am going to have to buy 100' of that tubing to use 2' :whoa

#66 · (Edited)
OK, the stock horn on these bike is a joke... I had a stock horn from the RGC in the spare parts box and decided to see if I could fit it in the Forty-Eight. Well, without the cow bell it fits between the tubes. I little bending of the mouting flat steel and in it goes.

Used a stick-on base for a tie-wrap and got the wire close to the horn and away from the engine.

Does not look that great, but works great and now I can be heard if using the horn... At least is black and blends somewhat with the rest of the bike. Yeah, yeah, I know, bike is dirty. It has been raining a lot here and no sense in washing and detailing when everytime I ride it gets extremely dirty due to the weather...

#67 ·
Looks good wachuko.
IMO you are crossing a couple of different styles with your build.
I think the spring seat looks good with the fat bobber 16" front wheel as many bobbers have done.
I think the cafe seat would/could look better with a 17", 18"or 19" front wheel as many cafes' are not going the fat front bobber wheel style.
I think the clearance of the 180 is too close for the real world. Tzrider has done it though as pictured.
I have considered going fat rear tire although a 160 or more likely a 170 would have easier fitment. If you get debris on your rear tire there could be some rubbing, and heat expands a tire. I have run into clearance issues before due to heat and an expanding tire (I had to reduce psi).
On my bike, I replaced the front 16" wheel with a 19" rim/tire built by Buchanans, to remove the bobber look.
The joy of spokes - you can change rim diameter! AND keep the same stock finished tire diameter. I used the scorcher 11 up front.
Here is a tire diameter calculator.
Not bustin your chops wachuko, only maybe adding some ideas to your folder. ...Only my silly opinions.
I have been doing a similar, yet different twist with my '13 Custom.
Cheers and good luck finishing up your bike, its coming along well.

#77 ·
Looks good wachuko.
IMO you are crossing a couple of different styles with your build...
Absolutely correct! I want two bikes and only have this one to do it....

At some point I am going to mess it up... And I think it will be when I put in the leather bags....

I love that cafe racer styled look... And I love the old school spring seat/ natural leather,etc. look.. So it has been a constant conflict along the way as I get the parts...

One thing is for sure, I love the fat wheel in front and that one is not changing.

We will see what wins at the end :)

#68 ·
I can't see any photobucket photos anymore. What gives? Anyone else not seeing wach's photos?

#73 ·
Should we start a collection and put wach on the photobucket welfare?

#79 ·
Black Rocker Covers Installed

So I took a few days off from work to spend with family visiting... today they wanted to go shopping, and knowing how much I like to do that... I decided to stay home and swap rocker covers for the black units I had.

I removed the tank following this thread. Excellent videos.

Removing EFI fuel tank (How-To Video)

With that, tank is off!

The rest was removing the plastic covers, undoing the plugs, everything needed to get the necessary space to lift the covers and replace them.

There... front is clear and ready to go:

#80 ·
Black Rocker Covers Installed

Front cover removed

Reading the manual just in case...

New gaskets in place, cover in place, hand tighten the bolts, used a hex wrench to take then in enough to start using the torque wrench. Started with 50 inch-lbs, then 75, 100, 125... books says 120-165... no way I could have done more than 125 on these... I hope that the book hand a torque range and not asking me to take them to 165... I am afraid they would break if I do...

Front done

On the rear, there was a suggestion to wrap a towel around the frame to avoid scratching the new one. I had plastic from the new covers, wrapped that around with some tape... rinse and repeat... only thing with the back is sliding the sensor wire through the gaskets and then through the cover... but it was easy. As I was putting down the cover I kept looking to make sure the gaskets were in place and had not lifted...

rinse and repeat... torqued down to 125 inch-lbs... in increments...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.