Harley Davidson Forums banner

My Mods Thread - 2013 Forty-Eight

194K views 502 replies 60 participants last post by  Jeffforty 
#1 ·
In the tradition of other threads where I document the changes... Here it goes.

Details on the bike: 2013 HD Forty-Eight in Ember Red Sunglo
Purchased date: June 8, 2013
Miles on odometer: 6

Photos of the bike when I got it (just like any other stock 48 )

Accessories purchased with sale of the bike (not installed by dealer). I will do all the install of these parts as soon as they get in and will share photos of the process. Bolt-on stuff, so nothing too complicated (I hope! ) :

Line QTY Description
1- 1 - D&D Bobcat Exhaust Black Pipes w/Carbon Fiber Sleeve
2- 1 - Roland Sands Design Velocity Stack – Black
3- 1 - HD XR 1200 Left Front Brake Caliper (improve braking and looks) Part No. 42943-08
4- 1 - Seat Option 1: HD Solo Spring Saddle – Brown Leather Part No. 54072-10
5- 1 - HD Spring Seat Installation Kit for Seat Option 1 – Part No. 54074
6- 1 - HD Sportster Front Spoiler – Black
7- 1 - HD SE 10mm Phat Spark Plug Wires – Orange
8- 1 - HD Flush-Mount Fuel Cap – Black
9- 1 - HD Oil Dipstick with Temp Gauge
10- 2 - HD Rocker Box Cover - Wrinkled Black
11- 1 - HD Sportster Drag Bars Part No. 55800035
12- 1 - HD Chopped Fender Edge Light Part No. 73420-11
13- 1 - HD Swingarm Pivot Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 47625-09
14- 1 - HD Shock Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 540000017
15- 1 - HD Bar & Shield Rear Axle Cover Kit – Black Part No. 43013-09A
16- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Air Cleaner Trim Part No. 61400165
17- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Timer Cover Part No. 25600025
18- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Derby Cover Part No. 25700255
19- 1 - HD Front Axle Nut Cover – Black Part No. 43428-09
20- 1 - HD Bullet Turn Signal Lens Kit – Smoked Part No. 69208-09
21- 1 - HD Service Manual
22- 1 - HD Leather Jacket JKT-Roadway Leather Part No. 98015-10VM

Pending items:

1. Grips. Have not decided. Need something that would work with bar-end mirrors. Looking at Rizoma's Grips - Contact style in black or something from Joker's

2. Bar-end mirrors - Have not decided. Looking at Rizoma's Spy-R80 in black or something from Joker's

3. Swing-arm saddlebags. I love the looks of the LaRosa in natural leather with the fuel canister... but some reviews mentioned that the HD bag with the additional back support seem to be better. So still undecided. But I do want at least one bag (two would be best) for the swing-arm with a fuel canister (inside the bag or outside, don't care). With 2.1 gal of fuel, best to be prepared.

4. Foot pegs - Have not decided

5. Rear LED signal lights from Custom Dynamics and might do the front with the Dynamic Ringz (LED Driving Lights/Turn Signals)

6. PIAA Extreme White Plus bulb to replace stock bulb (can't seem to justify spending on LED headlight...and these work great in my RGC)

7. Rear shocks. This is based on many threads on the lack of a good suspension from the factory. Need to see what would work best. Lot's of reading to do. I need to find out part number for the shocks from the Roadking?? that fits the 48?? Anyway, work to do here, but would like something that can take my fatarse and not break my back while going over bad roads.

8. Rizoma front pulley belt cover and insert. Still trying to locate the insert (cover that goes on the pulley, orange part that you see in the photo)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Pretty sure I left something out... will update as I do the install of the parts.

See less See more
#89 ·
Looks excellent wachuko. I was debating on the D & D and the Patriot Defender. Went Patriot. But your Bobcat looks bueno.
Nice overall scheme. :thumb

Oh put on some XIED's and you don't even need to map it. They should work good with your torque pipe.
I should of never switched away from the xied's.

#92 · (Edited)
I will work on the video and sound clip.

As to the ride, did not ride the bike in stock form long enough to see a difference on power... but the sound, the sound... the sound is frigging amazing!!

On the tires, so far, so good. I need to find some twisty roads to really give them a good test.

One more photo:

#93 · (Edited)
#96 ·
Careful Wach, You treading in Wildthang's pool of already been there done that. (If it really matters) Lookin' good !
Cleo McDowell: Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.

:rofl:

#102 ·
Thank you all for the positive comments!

Finally was able to install the reflective tape on the wheels. The small plastic applicator that came with the tape made all the difference in the world on installing it straight.

I know that it is not liked by all, but I like how it makes the bike look, plus I welcome the added safety of getting noticed by cars...

#107 ·
Wach, forgive me if I missed it, but what is that seat? That is the first time I've ever seen the exact finish of leather that I am picturing for my solo seat someday. I thought it only existed in my head.

Brilliant taste, my man.

#109 ·

But it will take the bike into the retro look completely...

I will take photos of the bags with the RSD seat... and then with the spring seat...

My guess is that with the spring seat, those bags are going to look amazing...

With the RSD seat... it calls for no bags, or just black ones...

Will share photos of the different permutations :blahblah:

#114 ·
Nah, haven't started yet. Besides, no two horses look alike so have at it.

#115 ·
People might think we're bromos if they see us riding together though. :laugh

#121 ·
Yeah... I can tell you that in person,the colors match... but I can't get a decent photo that shows it... anyway... two photos until I can get it outside for a decent one...

I am not sure what to think... I knew that when it came time for the bags... the flow was going to break...

#124 ·
That last pic, would make me hang around a bit to run into the owner if I ever seen that parked somewhere.

That looks so unlike all other bikes out there.

Good job.

Now go put some more miles on them tires so you can upgrade them. Harley stack tires might look ok, but there are much better curve carvers out there....

Go wear em out!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.