Harley Davidson Forums banner

My Mods Thread - 2013 Forty-Eight

194K views 502 replies 60 participants last post by  Jeffforty 
#1 ·
In the tradition of other threads where I document the changes... Here it goes.

Details on the bike: 2013 HD Forty-Eight in Ember Red Sunglo
Purchased date: June 8, 2013
Miles on odometer: 6

Photos of the bike when I got it (just like any other stock 48 )

Accessories purchased with sale of the bike (not installed by dealer). I will do all the install of these parts as soon as they get in and will share photos of the process. Bolt-on stuff, so nothing too complicated (I hope! ) :

Line QTY Description
1- 1 - D&D Bobcat Exhaust Black Pipes w/Carbon Fiber Sleeve
2- 1 - Roland Sands Design Velocity Stack – Black
3- 1 - HD XR 1200 Left Front Brake Caliper (improve braking and looks) Part No. 42943-08
4- 1 - Seat Option 1: HD Solo Spring Saddle – Brown Leather Part No. 54072-10
5- 1 - HD Spring Seat Installation Kit for Seat Option 1 – Part No. 54074
6- 1 - HD Sportster Front Spoiler – Black
7- 1 - HD SE 10mm Phat Spark Plug Wires – Orange
8- 1 - HD Flush-Mount Fuel Cap – Black
9- 1 - HD Oil Dipstick with Temp Gauge
10- 2 - HD Rocker Box Cover - Wrinkled Black
11- 1 - HD Sportster Drag Bars Part No. 55800035
12- 1 - HD Chopped Fender Edge Light Part No. 73420-11
13- 1 - HD Swingarm Pivot Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 47625-09
14- 1 - HD Shock Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 540000017
15- 1 - HD Bar & Shield Rear Axle Cover Kit – Black Part No. 43013-09A
16- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Air Cleaner Trim Part No. 61400165
17- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Timer Cover Part No. 25600025
18- 1 - HD Skull & Chain Derby Cover Part No. 25700255
19- 1 - HD Front Axle Nut Cover – Black Part No. 43428-09
20- 1 - HD Bullet Turn Signal Lens Kit – Smoked Part No. 69208-09
21- 1 - HD Service Manual
22- 1 - HD Leather Jacket JKT-Roadway Leather Part No. 98015-10VM

Pending items:

1. Grips. Have not decided. Need something that would work with bar-end mirrors. Looking at Rizoma's Grips - Contact style in black or something from Joker's

2. Bar-end mirrors - Have not decided. Looking at Rizoma's Spy-R80 in black or something from Joker's

3. Swing-arm saddlebags. I love the looks of the LaRosa in natural leather with the fuel canister... but some reviews mentioned that the HD bag with the additional back support seem to be better. So still undecided. But I do want at least one bag (two would be best) for the swing-arm with a fuel canister (inside the bag or outside, don't care). With 2.1 gal of fuel, best to be prepared.

4. Foot pegs - Have not decided

5. Rear LED signal lights from Custom Dynamics and might do the front with the Dynamic Ringz (LED Driving Lights/Turn Signals)

6. PIAA Extreme White Plus bulb to replace stock bulb (can't seem to justify spending on LED headlight...and these work great in my RGC)

7. Rear shocks. This is based on many threads on the lack of a good suspension from the factory. Need to see what would work best. Lot's of reading to do. I need to find out part number for the shocks from the Roadking?? that fits the 48?? Anyway, work to do here, but would like something that can take my fatarse and not break my back while going over bad roads.

8. Rizoma front pulley belt cover and insert. Still trying to locate the insert (cover that goes on the pulley, orange part that you see in the photo)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Pretty sure I left something out... will update as I do the install of the parts.

See less See more
#5 ·
:rofl: that was some as**le that would not get off the bike while I was taking photos... :rofl:

Yeah, parts are not in... should be in sometime this week so that I can start installing them. Right now I am researching how to change the rocker box covers (looking for how-to and videos)... I think that will be the most involving mod of everything on the list. I need to order new gaskets (forgot those when I put together the list...)

#9 ·
I like the bike to be seen by cars... maybe remove the reflectors and install those reflective strips around the rim... I can get them in different colors... those even come in black and can only see them when the light hits them (if I want a stealth look). I had them in red on my sport bike...

On another modification. I think I was able to get a set of Road Glide shocks to replace the stock units. :thumbsup I will know for sure on Monday.

#11 ·
Yup, looks alot better than orange painted lettering. Besides how would you feel about parking next to 10 other bikes with the same painted letters. Its just too cookie cutter.

Whatever you do tough, do what YOU want. All Im doing is thinking out loud with you. Its just that stock tires with the reast of them mods would detract IMO only!

Ride on bro. Get it together so we can get them pics.

#12 ·
...All Im doing is thinking out loud with you...

Ride on bro. Get it together so we can get them pics.
And I appreciate the comments. So keep those coming. It just opens my mind to more changes I have not thought of. :know

#13 ·
Just a quick update...

Front Axle Nut Cover-43428-09 - This has to be the easiest mod to perform :bluduh , but these frigging covers are giving me a difficult time installing. They will not seat correctly as I try to tighten the hex insert (specially the side of the axle with the nut).

I have tried putting some 3M gray double face tape but as soon as I start to tighten the hex bolt, the cover pulls out :bluduh

What am I missing here?? There is only one hex bolt per cover, so not like I can hold it in place from two positions... frustrated as heck with such a simple mod...

On another note. I had a PowerVision from my older RGC that I was not using. I went ahead an got the dual license, from Jamie at Fuel Moto, and got it married to the bike. So now I have a new stock map saved, a slightly modified stock map ready to go in, and a map for when the mods are in (exhaust and velocity stack).

#19 ·
Most of the parts came in... Only waiting on the exhaust and spoiler....

I installed everything but the engine covers...seems like that requires a lot more time to do.

A few photos

Front caliper changed:

Skulls on tag (need a black slim profile frame for the tag), and also installed the fender mounted brake light)

Seat mounted, velocity stack, used a spare seat bolt to fill the hole over the velocity stack

Drag bar mounted

#23 · (Edited)
Installed the chain inspection cover... also bought a chrome cover for the bolt under the seat (where the original seat screw was)

I don't like the fact that the drag bars are touching the fork caps... not sure what to do about it since I don't want raisers on this bike...

Can't wait for the exhaust to arrive... two weeks backordered...

Also, I was able to adjust the mirrors so that I can see to the back... that means that I will stick with the stock units and not do bar-end mirrors. So I bought a set of Get-a-Grips in black. Now installed:

Getting there...

#25 ·
I took a ride this morning, only 100 miles. Everything felt great. As much as I like my RGC, this Sportster is going to see many many more mile than the Road Glide....:know. I just can't wait for the exhaust...

I was able to get a set of used RGC shocks...to replace the stock units based of threads about how bad the stocks are... But I am not sure that I need them for now. Not sure if it is because of the fairly good roads around but the stock units felt decent.... Anyway, to early to tell, need to put more miles on it.

As to the tires, they grab the road and curves nicely. Can't even begin to think on changing them. I need to clean them, install the reflective strip on the rims (one side black, one side red and then decide), I want to paint the HD emblem in them (got the paint/marker).... And see if the looks improves.

I was going to document the steps on installing these parts but found that they are well documented everywhere... So no need for that.

Back to the BBQ with the family. Enjoy your weekend!!

#26 · (Edited)
Installed:

- Fuel Moto/ Dynojet PowerVision
- Roland Sands Design Velocity Stack – Black
- HD XR 1200 Left Front Brake Caliper (improve braking and looks) Part No. 42943-08
- HD Solo Spring Saddle – Brown Leather Part No. 54072-10 with install kit – Part No. 54074
- HD SE 10mm Phat Spark Plug Wires – Orange
- HD Flush-Mount Fuel Cap – Black
- HD Oil Dipstick with Temp Gauge
- HD Sportster Drag Bars Part No. 55800035
- HD Chopped Fender Edge Light Part No. 73420-11
- HD Swingarm Pivot Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 47625-09
- HD Bar & Shield Rear Axle Cover Kit – Black Part No. 43013-09A
- HD Skull & Chain Timer Cover Part No. 25600025
- HD Skull & Chain Derby Cover Part No. 25700255
- HD Front Axle Nut Cover – Black Part No. 43428-09
- HD Bullet Turn Signal Lens Kit – Smoked Part No. 69208-09
- HD Inspection Cover - Wrinkled Black - Part No. 34794-05A
- HD Chrome Seat Nut Cap - Part No. 762
- PIAA Extreme White Plus bulb to replace stock bulb
- HD Get-a-Grip - Part No. 56100008
- Rear LED signal lights from Custom Dynamics and doing the front with the Dynamic Ringz (LED Driving Lights/Turn Signals)
- HD Sportster Front Spoiler – Black
- HD Skull Medallion from CVO - Part No. 14100228

Ordered and waiting to arrive:

- D&D Bobcat Exhaust Black Pipes w/Carbon Fiber Sleeve and Performance baffle
- Progressive Monotubes for front forks - Part No. 31-2515
- Simple/small black tag frame
- Wheel/Rim Reflective 1/4" Tape Red with tool to apply straight!
- Red Tire Marker... I have the Orange Tire Marker... so going to do the HD letters in Red, and the HD Shield in Orange...

Pending Install:

- HD Rocker Box Cover - Wrinkled Black - Part No. 17655-05
- RGC Rear Shocks
- HD Shock Bolt Cover Kit – Black Part No. 540000017 - These seem to be a one time install with some of the tapes it has... so I will wait until I install the Road Glide Custom shocks.

Still under investigation:

Bar-end mirrors - Like the way the stock unit look. For now I will stick with them.

Swing-arm saddlebags. I asked the local dealer to see if they can somehow get me the Harley back support bracket for the swing arm saddlebag... I love the looks of the LaRosa in natural leather (or a color as close to the color of the HD brown spring seat) with the fuel canister... but I want to mount it on the stock HD bracket. I found someone that made one just like it for his bike, so worst case scenario I will follow the diy route. But I do want at least one bag (two would be best) for the swing-arm with a fuel canister (inside the bag or outside, don't care). With 2.1 gal of fuel, best to be prepared.

Foot pegs - Have not decided. Stock seem to be doing their work just fine.

Front Suspension - This is based on many threads on the lack of a good suspension from the factory. Need to see what would work best. Lot's of reading to do.

Rizoma front pulley belt cover and insert. Still trying to locate the insert (cover that goes on the pulley, orange part that you see in the photo). If I can't find the insert I will just leave it with the stock cover...

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

#27 ·
Front and Rear LED lights installed... bulbs install easy... installing the load stabilizer on the other hand... would it have cost HD that much more to install a negative cable 1/2" longer!??? SOB!! Anyway... took the time and also installed the battery tender cable as well...

Also adjusted the forks just enough for the caps to not touch the drag bar.

#33 ·
I will install the black... I am with you on how difficult it is to install them perfectly circular... there is nothing on the rim to use as a guide... At least, during the day, the black will not show the awful pulse I had while installing them :rofl:

#35 ·
I sent for another kit (in red) that comes with an install tool... uses the inner part of the rim as a guide. For now, black is installed.

BTW, a pita to take off once in place... sticks well

#37 · (Edited)
I told the wife that it was cheaper than putting an A/C in the garage :laugh

Here is a photo of the reason I get up every day :)

It is only bolt on stuff... no way I can get away with doing something that would have a risk of oil dropped in the living room... I can push it, but I am not that stupid! lol

#40 ·
I was able to buy a used RSD Cafe Seat for a very decent price... so I removed the Springer seat, installed the stock seat, and headed to pick up the RSD Cafe seat. Once I got there, removed the stock seat, stuff it in my backpack; installed the Cafe seat... don't mind the reflective tape on the wheels, those are coming off tomorrow... can't get them on perfectly...

and headed back home to this...

I was very fortunate that the person I bought the seat from has the same velocity stack... and had a rain sock that he gave me. Saved my day.

The ride to pick up the seat really convinced me that the stock seat will never see the bike again... very uncomfortable ride on the way there. The RSD seat feels soooo much nicer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.