Harley Davidson Forums banner

I f*#%ed up...

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  YoshiV 
#1 ·
Well, I just rebuilt my forks after some problems on the way home the other day.... Well, I was putting my front wheel back on, I accidentally broke one of the bolts coming out of the right fork at the bottom, that holds the cup that goes on the bottom of the right half of the axel....

Is this repairable? How can I get that bolt out and reinstall a new one?

I'm sorry if my terminology is lacking right now.... I'm still in wrench tossing pissed off mode....

#3 ·
Easy out 10 min job just have some patients and be sure you drill the hole in the center of the broken bolt. Use a center punch to center up very easy to do.

#9 ·
I'm not sure how this goes in. Is it reverse threaded and screwed in? If so, I can probably buy a blank at the hardware store and take care of it for a couple bucks until I can get the proper part back in... Or is it pressure fitted and a big pain to deal with? If so, I may just take the fork in and have the shop deal with it...

#10 ·
Try soaking in a penetrating oil for a couple of hours, then use vise grips on the bolt. Sometimes tapping on the end of the bolt with a small hammer while turning the bolt will help to loosen the bolt. Just make sure not snap it off at the fork. I was once successful in using my screw gun with it set to the impact setting.

Heating the fork can help, but be careful as it can discolor the finish.

#11 ·
Success! I go the old stud unthreaded, thanks for the help. Sometimes it gets hard to think logically when all you want to do is put holes in the shop wall. I think I can fix this with a $2 blank and a tap an die set until the shop opens tomorrow. Again, thanks to all who pitched in with ideas.

#12 ·
What Ducedog said, need to be patient working it slowly. Had success with just heating stud then cooling it quickly with water & penetrating oil, repeat a few times. Try removing when at room temp. Looks like the other stud is about ready to fail also, been over tightened and stretched. Accident waiting to happen.

#14 ·
Well, bought some good bolts at the local hardware store and got things back together. It'll get me rolling for today at least, even though it's monsoon rain I need to get out of the bloody cage.....

I'll get some new studs and get a proper repair done later when the stealers hip is open and I get my but down there to order some.

#20 ·
That was the mistake I made. Wasn't paying enough attention and got in/lbs. confused with ft/lbs. The first one I rung I got out with visegrips, no problem. Then I figured, ( for some reason), while I was at it, I would just change the other one. Bad move, I rung it trying to remove it. It was a pureteen biatch to get out. Wasn't broke, shoulda just left it alone. Lesson learned. :D

#23 ·
Did I miss something or did you ever actually say what you did to get the stud out? Detail is what helps those in the future who experience the very same thing.

Every time I tool on my bike, something like that happens, so I'd like to know as well as I expect that to happen whenever the time comes to work on my front end...

#28 ·
Well, I took the fork off, put the bottom edge of the lower in a bench vice, then used some vice grips and some choice words not fit for women and children to read.... I did use bolts as a temporary fix. I have some new studs coming in for the weekend. On a side note, I burned out both my low beam and high beam today....

Moral of the story, don't mix up your inches and feet.

#29 ·
Moral of the story, don't mix up your inches and feet.
Well look at it this way. If stud had not snapped during assembly. Could have failed on road. Then your colorful wording could have been from a hospital bed.
Work slowly and read carefully. Ride Safe Sarge..:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.