Harley Davidson Forums banner

What Is The Very Best Shocks I Can Buy For My 2013 CVO Roadking?

15K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Grayrat 
#1 ·
What Is The Very Best Shocks I Can Buy For My 2013 CVO Roadking? I want a smooth comfortable ride with perhaps better handling than my Harley cvo shocks

#2 ·
Ohlins.

Kids won't go to college, but they're the best.

#3 ·
What issues do you have with your current setup? I found that the rear shocks were fine after adjusting and I just needed something better to replace the front shocks.... I was going to go with the Monotube cartridge kit from Progressive Suspension. I have them in my Sportster and they work great.

Never got around to doing them in the RGC but definitely doing them in the RK... hate how the bike dives in the front... Not available yet for 2014 and up... so I will wait. But you can get them for the 2013

http://www.progressivesuspension.co...it-for-hd-sportster-softail-thru-2013-touring

Ohlins, like Dave63 mentioned, is the best... I need to see if they have stuff for the front end of the '14

#9 ·
My indie is trying to talk me into Öhlins for my '07 Road King. Can someone give me a description of what the change from stock will feel like? Corners straighten out, potholes fill will fresh asphalt, etc?

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
Glad the douche spammed this old thread just because of your response. Tell me about the Pro Actions...

My new to me 2013 Ultra has Pro Actions on it. I need to set the preload a little stiffer on them, but other than that they are comfortable.

#15 ·
I had a 2013 Road King CVO. Great bike. Suspension was not that great, but I figured it was just a Harley thing. I recently bought a 2021 Road King Special. The first week I got it, the suspension nearly killed me, it was jackhammer hard. I bought RWD RS-1 shocks and they made a major improvement. I would have bought the Ohlins but figured that RWD makes shocks specifically for Harleys and the biggest issue with the CVO and the Special is no rear travel. 2” doesn’t cut it. The RWD shocks increase travel to 4” and only increase ride height by 1/2”. So it keeps the same profile. I added legend cartridge for inserts, set on the lightest preload setting, which is still too stiff for the Road King as it doesn’t have to support a heavy fairing and that was all that was available without spending a fortune on a set of Ohlins and have them dialed in by my local suspension guru. They are almost the opposite to the stock 2013 CVO forks which are too soft and they top out. You may get away with a Race Tech gold valve and spring combo on yours which would most likely correct that and make the bike more balanced. I have a Yamaha MT-07 I bought for my GF, and we put the Race Tech gold valve kit because it had the same issue as the CVO. No dampening valves and too soft of springs. Much less money than the whole front makeover if that is a factor.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

#18 ·
I'm trying to choose between a Low Rider ST and Road King Special (I know, really different LoL) in either case, the BMW GS with its ESA electronic suspension and its high adjustability spoiled me. Once a rider experiences a highly adjustable and high quality suspension, it's impossible to go back to a suspension with little travel and stiff springs. My 2003 Deuce has stiff springs with fast damping, which is a bad combination. I've found many Harleys suffer from too little travel combined with a stiff spring and fast damping. This shock would be the one I get on my next H-D

I found this vid very helpful:

#16 ·
I do a lot of high mileage long distance riding. I've put tens of thousand of miles on Legend, Pro-Action, and Ohlins (Ohlins currently on bike).

My favorite of the three has been Pro-Action, although that brand may not get you into the internet cool kids club. Right now I have Legend Axeo in the front. It feels no better than simply using heavier fork oil. If I could take it back, I would have stuck with the heavier oil and saved the money for gas and hotels.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed this was a thread brought back from the dead or I would have moved on, haha.

#17 ·
EDIT: Whoops, just noticed this was a thread brought back from the dead or I would have moved on, haha.

my bad as well. I didn’t realize this was an old dead topic. Sometimes when you look something up, there is a suggestion of similar topics, and I didn’t realize it was 3 years old. Stupid miniature print on my phone with no reading glasses. Sucks getting old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.